Author Topic: Mango Mania with Chris Rollins at Fruit & Spice Park Sat. June 20th  (Read 3057 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I won't be able to go this year, but this is a GREAT event, especially for those of you lurkers and noobs that haven't gotten to try more than the usual varieties.  Last year most people walked away with canvas grocery bags full of mangoes--they even had mangifera relatives like M. lalijwa, M. casturi, etc.

The email I got says Chris Rollins will be hosting.  Call F&S park to reserve your spot early--no $ required, just get on the list.  After actually tasting so many varieties last year, I ended up ripping out/trading 6 or 7 varieties after tasting.  Now, a year later, the yard is mostly geared to my family's tastes.   If you love mangoes, are new to growing mangoes, or haven't tasted more than Haden or Keitt, this is the event for you--no joke!

http://www.fruitandspicepark.org/index.php?option=com_rsevents&view=events&layout=show&cid=357:mango-mania&Itemid=65
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Mania with Chris Rollins at Fruit & Spice Park Sat. June 20th
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »
it says it's $40 in the website you posted.

I'd love to go but I'm far far away from this place

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:46:11 PM »
sorry should've been more clear--no $ needed to sign-up, but the cost is $40 plus bring some extra $ in case you want to buy like 50 lbs of mangoes in a canvas grocery tote bag. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »
So what is going on there this weekend? This weekends fruit festival is different?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:58:22 PM »
totally.

one is good, the other is AMAZING.

This week's is good for buying jackfruit, dragonfruit, rambutan , etc.  Pretty good thai food vendor.

The mango mania is a limited # of people and an amazing amount of mangoes that you can sample whatever kind you like.  Trust me.  It's a must-see!  The one this weekend is good though too.  But if you go, try the rock climbing tower.  Make it to the top, get $100. easy as pie ;)
~Jeff

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »
You mentioned this event earlier.  I am registered.  I am excited.  Thank you for the heads up.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »
Where did you hear that Chris Rollins was hosting it?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 03:04:22 AM »
it's on the flyer...says former park director
~Jeff

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
I went to the event today.  Not much new in the presentation that we don't learn here in the forum.  But I always enjoy a presentation by Chris.  $40 for the presentation that went 2.5 hours followed by about 1.5 hours of tasting then the mango grab where you bought a canvas shopping bag for $25 and take all the mangoes you could carry.  One of my favorites during game the tasting was a mango named "jewel".  I stuffed a few in my bag but I hope I can find them since I didn't have a sharpie to name my selections.  There were way more mangoes than people to the them home. 

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 08:42:01 PM »
I went to the event today.  Not much new in the presentation that we don't learn here in the forum.  But I always enjoy a presentation by Chris.  $40 for the presentation that went 2.5 hours followed by about 1.5 hours of tasting then the mango grab where you bought a canvas shopping bag for $25 and take all the mangoes you could carry.  One of my favorites during game the tasting was a mango named "jewel".  I stuffed a few in my bag but I hope I can find them since I didn't have a sharpie to name my selections.  There were way more mangoes than people to the them home.

I went today as well.  Chris is an enjoyable speaker with some good stories.  I thought "jewel" was very good as well.  I am glad you got a few, and I hope you recognize them.  I looked but couldn't find any. 

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 07:14:27 AM »
what other varieties do you remember (both good or bad)?  Did anyone like Earlygold or Tyler Premiere this year?
~Jeff

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »
what other varieties do you remember (both good or bad)?  Did anyone like Earlygold or Tyler Premiere this year?
I ate both.  Compared to the Edward both were milder.  The Tyler had a good flavor just not a sweet as the Edward.  The Earlygold was even a little milder than the Tyler.  The Tyler was on my list to take home and I think I got one.  The Earlygold was not. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk