Author Topic: HMHausman Office Mango Tasting 6/19/15  (Read 7643 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
HMHausman Office Mango Tasting 6/19/15
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »
I had the pleasure of a visit to one of my office tastings of a forum member and his family. Spaceoak, his wife and two kids stopped by and we chomped a few mangoes that I collected that morning.  The table looked like this:

I have to do some ID as I didn't write the names.  I'll come back shortly to list what we had to try on Friday.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: HMHausman Office Mango Tasting 6/19/15
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:48:33 PM »
Damn, I wish you didn't live way on the other side of the county!
John

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 12:03:34 AM »
Harry - it must be fun to live in your neck of the woods....
mmmmm they look good....

Gary

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:18:03 AM »
Thank you Harry for allowing us to come to a tasting at your office.  You are a generous host.  My family had very little experience with tasting mangoes.  My wife’s mother and my mother both grew up in Coral Gables so we have fond memories of eating mangoes at our grandparent’s house.  My seven year old daughter loves fruit, but had only eaten store bought mangoes so she would tell you she didn't like mangoes.  Harry's office tasting changed that.  She tried everything Harry put in front of her.  She said they were all good except two, and those two were perfect!  Unfortunately she didn't remember which two they were. 

My wife liked the Cushman the best.  Then she place the Van Dyke second followed by the Valencia Pride third.  She wasn't impressed by PPK.  It was too sweet for her, and more like candy than eating fruit.  She was also not a fan of any resin flavor.

I liked the PPK.  It made me stand up and pause the first time I tasted it almost like it slapped me.  It was very sweet with a nice citrus flavor.  The Cushman was next.  The Cushman seems to have a nice balance of sweet with a pineapple acid flavor.  The Maha Chanok was third.  Harry had a fruit from a Maha Chanok seedling that was just a touch better than the Maha Chanok.  Both seemed to have the taste of two mangoes in one bite.  It started with a sweet flavor with a little citrus like acid and finished with what I would call a mild but complex resin like flavor.   

We had never really had a resinous mango so the Bombay gave me a shock at first bite.  It was kind of like a car wreck to me.  It started sweet and ended with a very clean pine like resin flavor.  The resin flavor was not offensive, but not really appealing either.  The thing was so sweet I just kept going back for bite after bite after bite.  I just couldn't stop until it was gone, yet I am still not sure I liked it. 

There was also one I thought was called Excellent. Correct me if I am wrong Harry, but you said it would have a resin flavor.  It kind of tasted like a slightly over ripe papaya.

Overall it was a great and eye opening experience for my family.  We were blown away by Harry's hospitality.  Thank you Harry for the wonderful tasting fruit. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:37:13 AM »
You probably mean Excel?
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 05:48:18 AM »
You probably mean Excel?
no, actually it was Extrema......a curator's choice at Fairchild a,few years back. I believe it was a selection originally from Paraguay.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 07:42:25 AM »

Good to see that you are zone pushing up there to get your own delicious mangoes. Like some you sampled at Harry's. Now you have a preview of what is to come

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 07:59:22 AM »
 Bombay gave me a shock at first bite.  It was kind of like a car wreck to me.  It started sweet and ended with a very clean pine like resin flavor.  The resin flavor was not offensive, but not really appealing either.  The thing was so sweet I just kept going back for bite after bite after bite.  I just couldn't stop until it was gone, yet I am still not sure I liked it. 

I bought a couple of Bombays from Harry's last week. I felt the same way, but I am leaning towards liking it a lot. How heavy of a producer is it?
Purchased a couple more of the Sia Tong to test drive, that one also has me looking for a spot in the yard.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:09:31 AM by strkpr00 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »
Bombay is not a consistent producer from year to year.  For a vary similar raste, larger fruit and better producer, go with the Sunrise.

If you like the Sia Thong, consider planting a Mahachanok or Brahm Kai Meu.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 08:30:20 AM »
Bombay is not a consistent producer from year to year.  For a vary similar raste, larger fruit and better producer, go with the Sunrise.

I have a record crop on my Bombay this year. It does have some degree of variability in crop size. I don't think I would characterize it as being an inconsisbtent producer.......as this sounds like you'll have off and on mangoes.  Bombay seems to always set fruit and in alternating years the crop can be tremendous.  In fact, a number of years ago, my tree had a crop that was so heavy that it broke down all of the large lateral branches from the sheer weight of the fruit. The tree is a very vigorous grower.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 08:42:22 AM »
I bought a couple of Bombays from Harry's last week. I felt the same way, but I am leaning towards liking it a lot. How heavy of a producer is it?
Purchased a couple more of the Sia Tong to test drive, that one also has me looking for a spot in the yard.
I am leaning towards liking it as well just because I kept going back for more.  It is a little hard for me to rationalize why.  It definitely wasn't better than the Maha Chanok or any of the other top varieties. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 09:00:12 AM »
Quote from: bsbullie link=topic=16496.msg209201#msg209201
[Quote

While I highly recommend considering Mahachanok, Brahm Kai Meu does not get anywhere near such an endosement. I have two trees (only one planted on purpose). They are prolific  and consistent fruit producers. For me, the eating quality is Fair  to Good on the Fairchild scale while Sia Tong, for me is Good to Excellent on the same scale. Sia Tong is an attractive golden color when ripe while BKM stays very green. BKM has deep orange flesh while ST has bright yellow flesh. I like the flavor of ST much better than BKM. I can sell all the STS I can produce while I can't give away the BKMS my trees produce.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 10:00:31 AM »

I have a record crop on my Bombay this year. It does have some degree of variability in crop size. I don't think I would characterize it as being an inconsisbtent producer.......as this sounds like you'll have off and on mangoes.  Bombay seems to always set fruit and in alternating years the crop can be tremendous.  In fact, a number of years ago, my tree had a crop that was so heavy that it broke down all of the large lateral branches from the sheer weight of the fruit. The tree is a very vigorous grower.

And there in lies things are not set in stone.  I have seen Bombay in different areas put off a lot of fruit (it also seems to drop a lot) one year and minimal fruit in another.  Moreso than what could be attributed to normal mango cycles.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »
Quote from: bsbullie link=topic=16496.msg209201#msg209201
[Quote

While I highly recommend considering Mahachanok, Brahm Kai Meu does not get anywhere near such an endosement. I have two trees (only one planted on purpose). They are prolific  and consistent fruit producers. For me, the eating quality is Fair  to Good on the Fairchild scale while Sia Tong, for me is Good to Excellent on the same scale. Sia Tong is an attractive golden color when ripe while BKM stays very green. BKM has deep orange flesh while ST has bright yellow flesh. I like the flavor of ST much better than BKM. I can sell all the STS I can produce while I can't give away the BKMS my trees produce.

Now I am beginning to wonder about your tastes.  Hahahahaha

To me, Sia Thong is basically a prettier NDM (after all, it is a NDM).  I see very little additional complexity when compared to other "standard" NDM.  I do find BKM to be superior in flavor to any of the NDM (not to the point of being overripe/rotting however BKM is similar to that of Pickering, it must be at max ripeness to show its real stuff).  In many tastes and opinions, this seems to hold true.  Wonder if the BKM does not perform well in your area for some reason.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »
I am leaning towards liking it as well just because I kept going back for more.  It is a little hard for me to rationalize why.  It definitely wasn't better than the Maha Chanok or any of the other top varieties.

I had a similar experience last summer.  I don't typically like resinous flavor in mangoes (though I do like Julie, Juliette and Sunrise), but when I bought some Bombays, I couldn't stop eating them.  Pretty soon, I started craving them, especially the method of cutting along equator of fruit and twisting free to eat with a spoon (out of the mango "bowl" that is remaining--the way some people eat avocadoes).   I wouldn't say they rank up their with the best tasting mangoes, but I would rank it up there in terms of my likeability.  Needless to say, I planted a Bombay out last Fall.  The kind of mango that just grew on me, more and more over time.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »
Rob, can the sunrise (and/or Juliette) be eaten with a spoon, a la Bombay?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
I am just starting out, and I certainly have a bunch to learn.  It may take me years to figure out how ripeness and freshness affect different varieties.  The process sure is enjoyable. 

The PPK and Bombay seamed to be close to peak ripeness, yet they didn't have any hint of being past their peak.

Harry - I was wondering how ripe the Extrema, the Maha Chanok, and the Cushman were.  Close to peak, a little early, or a little late.

I had a similar experience last summer.  I don't typically like resinous flavor in mangoes (though I do like Julie, Juliette and Sunrise), but when I bought some Bombays, I couldn't stop eating them.  Pretty soon, I started craving them, especially the method of cutting along equator of fruit and twisting free to eat with a spoon (out of the mango "bowl" that is remaining--the way some people eat avocadoes).   I wouldn't say they rank up their with the best tasting mangoes, but I would rank it up there in terms of my likeability.  Needless to say, I planted a Bombay out last Fall.  The kind of mango that just grew on me, more and more over time.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 11:52:47 AM »

And back at you!  :) I have never encountered anything Pickeringesque  about BKM.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »

And back at you!  :) I have never encountered anything Pickeringesque  about BKM.

I wasn't comparing the taste of the two (go back and read, counselor), I was referring to what stage to let it ripen.  Pickering should be very fully ripened prior to eating to bring out its true taste and flavors.  BKM requires the same treatment.
- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
I was holding off on purchasing a Brahm Kai Meu till the back yard is full, Brahm Kai Meu being a green mango needs to be closer to the street.
 The Cushman fruit I acquired from the top shelf at Harry's was great, does the size of the fruit overcome the sparse fruiting? PIN gives a 3 for production and a 1 for the tree.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
I was holding off on purchasing a Brahm Kai Meu till the back yard is full, Brahm Kai Meu being a green mango needs to be closer to the street.
 The Cushman fruit I acquired from the top shelf at Harry's was great, does the size of the fruit overcome the sparse fruiting? PIN gives a 3 for production and a 1 for the tree.

Yes, BKM can be eaten green but will also ripen to yellow and is a very good dessert mango.  Oh, a word of advice, depending on where you live, just cause it is green and planted near the street does not necessarily deter people from stealing the fruit.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »

Yes, BKM can be eaten green but will also ripen to yellow and is a very good dessert mango.  Oh, a word of advice, depending on where you live, just cause it is green and planted near the street does not necessarily deter people from stealing the fruit.
People steal my large colorful Hadens. Small mangoes and small green mangoes....not nearly as often.  I suppose if more mango savvy people live nearby then it makes the odds greater that small green fruit with be taken/stolen.

I always promote Fairchild (small & green) as good for perimeter plantings where pedestrians might  grab your mangoes. Now that I have gotten some Pina Coloada mangoes I can say these are good too. Nice and small that turn yellow when ripe. Zero stolen and it is 10ft from the street

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »

People steal my large colorful Hadens. Small mangoes and small green mangoes....not nearly as often.  I suppose if more mango savvy people live nearby then it makes the odds greater that small green fruit with be taken/stolen.

I always promote Fairchild (small & green) as good for perimeter plantings where pedestrians might  grab your mangoes. Now that I have gotten some Pina Coloada mangoes I can say these are good too. Nice and small that turn yellow when ripe. Zero stolen and it is 10ft from the street

Not sure what you are saying here.  Neither Pina Colada nor Fairchild should be picked green.  If they are, they will not ripen up properly and taste like crap (well, I guess crap is relative since some people like their mangoes chalky and some with hints of sour, cola syrup, goddess nectar, etc...).  Even the Gary should attain some yellowish coloration prior to harvest for best results.

To add, last year Sheehan's Lemon Zest, which is planted street side, were plucked off his tree while in a premature state and a nice color of green.  I also know someone who had their entire crop of sapodilla (probably in excess of 200 pounds) plucked from their tree in a total unripe stage. 
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 04:58:47 PM »

Not sure what you are saying here.  Neither Pina Colada nor Fairchild should be picked green.  If they are, they will not ripen up properly and taste like crap (well, I guess crap is relative since some people like their mangoes chalky and some with hints of sour, cola syrup, goddess nectar, etc...).  Even the Gary should attain some yellowish coloration prior to harvest for best results.

To add, last year Sheehan's Lemon Zest, which is planted street side, were plucked off his tree while in a premature state and a nice color of green.  I also know someone who had their entire crop of sapodilla (probably in excess of 200 pounds) plucked from their tree in a total unripe stage.

Sheehan has himself to blame for living in a stretchy neighborhood!   :(
All I can say is my Fairchild and Pina Colada fruits don't get stolen as they get yellow and ripen up. Don't get stolen green either
Hadens -- large and colorful when ripening do get taken. The tree does not get stripped by any means but I lost about six this year and same number last year to mango thieves

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 05:17:57 PM »
Consider yourself lucky.  Six Hadens is nothing...as a matter of fact, if it were me, I would have no problem if they took 12 or even stripped the tree so long as they left me my PCs and Fairchild.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk