Author Topic: Kesar Mango  (Read 7414 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Kesar Mango
« on: June 22, 2015, 09:34:38 PM »
Had my first home grown Kesar mango.  I have been pleasantly surprised with the growth habit of the tree and its disease resistance in regard to producing a nice crop of very clean looking fruit without any need to spray.  I found the eating quality to be excellent. The flavor profile is definitely classic Indian.  It has a very rich taste with good complexity and is at the same time, very sweet.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Kesar Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:38:47 PM »
Look delicious and low or no fibre. The seed looks rather large however, how was the ratio?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »
Nice looking Kesar! I'm glad the Kesar tastes good when grown in Florida, I was afraid there would be Alphonso like reports about it not tasting as good as when it's grown in India. I love that sweet complex classic Indian Resin taste.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »
From what i have seen, most or all Indian varieties seem to be very clean when grown in Florida.
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:02:22 AM »
Had my first home grown Kesar mango.  I have been pleasantly surprised with the growth habit of the tree and its disease resistance in regard to producing a nice crop of very clean looking fruit without any need to spray.  I found the eating quality to be excellent. The flavor profile is definitely classic Indian.  It has a very rich taste with good complexity and is at the same time, very sweet.

Can you expand on this please?
always longing for a JA Julie

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »
Had my first home grown Kesar mango.  I have been pleasantly surprised with the growth habit of the tree

Can you expand on this please?

The growth seems to be not overly vigorous yet healthy, well shaped without pruning with no disease, insect, or fungal issues.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »
Well, I would consider my Bombay tree quite vigorous and it seems to want to grow
laterally, unlike the vertical nature of my Valencia Pride.  Still haven't gotten it to flower
or fruit and it's a good 6X6 feet, and 3 years in the ground. 

I'm thinking out loud here - perhaps I should completely cut off watering in December and
wait for the meager rains...or.....water only when I see them start to shrivel a bit....or....
start to water when I see the buds forming....???XXX!!   Just too many trees didn't flower at all
and if it wasn't because of the cold/frost nipping, then it must be because I'm making water
too available, maybe?  I mean, both drought and cold should trigger flowering, yes?

Just wonder what anyone might suggest, though I know very few of you live in my type of
desert climate....oh, and I really don't want to get into KNO3 spraying if at all possible....

Gary
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:39:43 PM by MangoFang »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Well, I would consider my Bombay tree quite vigorous and it seems to want to grow
laterally, unlike the vertical nature of my Valencia Pride.  Still haven't gotten it to flower
or fruit and it's a good 6X6 feet, and 3 years in the ground. 

I'm thinking out loud here - perhaps I should completely cut off watering in December and
wait for the meager rains...or.....water only when I see them start to shrivel a bit....or....
start to water when I see the buds forming....???XXX!!   Just too many trees didn't flower at all
and if it wasn't because of the cold/frost nipping, then it must be because I'm making water
too available, maybe?  I mean, both drought and cold should trigger flowering, yes?

Just wonder what anyone might suggest, though I know very few of you live in my type of
desert climate....oh, and I really don't want to get into KNO3 spraying if at all possible....

Gary

Bombay should not be grouped with "Indian" mangoes.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »
Why not? What if we renamed it Mumbai? Seriously. ...why do you say that?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 02:36:02 PM »
Why not? What if we renamed it Mumbai? Seriously. ...why do you say that?

While the seed came from India, most likely a Paheri, it was grown in Jamaica and came here from Jamaica...hence I would classify it a Jamaican mango.

What do you classify a Carrie?
- Rob

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »

I believe Carrie is, spiritually, a Florida mango, regardless of where the parent comes from.

I recently met an Indian guy named Deepak. He said that "all Indian people in Florida love Carrie because it tastes like Alphonso." they classify it as Indian :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 03:21:04 PM by BrettBorders »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »

I believe Carrie is, spiritually, a Florida mango, regardless of where the parent comes from.

I recently met an Indian guy named Deepak. He said that "all Indian people in Florida love Carrie because it tastes like Alphonso." they classify it as Indian :)

And they think the Val Carrie is Indian also....and I really don't care what they classify it as.  I have explained to more than I want to say that it is not an Indian mango and they repeatedly think it is. 

In speaking with a number Indians, the spell the Carrie as "Keri" mango, or at times "Keri Keri" mango, which I have been told by a number of Indians that it means "sweet mango".  What does this all mean...absolutely NOTHING!
- Rob

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 06:46:26 PM »

And they think the Val Carrie is Indian also....and I really don't care what they classify it as.  I have explained to more than I want to say that it is not an Indian mango and they repeatedly think it is. 

In speaking with a number Indians, the spell the Carrie as "Keri" mango, or at times "Keri Keri" mango, which I have been told by a number of Indians that it means "sweet mango".  What does this all mean...absolutely NOTHING!
I don't really know these things, so please help.  Mangoes are not indigenous to Florida, the Caribbean, or anywhere outside of Asia.  Carrie is a Florida mango, but how do you use the terms Indian, Indochinese, or monoembryonic in relation to Carrie.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 01:58:25 AM »
I filmed this a few weeks ago,   an update to this video,  they did export the fruit to NY.  most fruit arrive din good condition,  but there was some damaged fruit due to the thermal hot water treatment.  they will hopefully get everything adjusted for this particular variety.  harvest time.

You will notice another problem , trees have mature fruit, small fruit, flowers and new growth all at the same time.  I guess that would be great for a back yard grower, not for these folks,   explained to him the reason and they will have that sorted out next year.

The Kesars i tried were great, but strong on that pine taste on / near the skin,  good texture, and flavor.

The "jumbo kesar" taste exactly the same as the regular,  but about twice the size.

I also look forward to trying out the Alphonso from his single tree,  hopefully they will taste as good as they are supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-bJ_0bh1E
https://youtu.be/D2-bJ_0bh1E
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 07:00:40 AM »
Hi Harry,

I think you mentioned that you have Ewais mango tree in you property, right ?!. How would you compare Ewais to Kesar in Flavor ?.

Thanks
Moh'd

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:43 AM »
@ Tropicdude, nice vid. Anyone knows if jumbo kesar is available in FL?
always longing for a JA Julie

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »
Tropicdude, that's great success, continuous fruiting even bigger bonus. Hopefully this could become beginning of the end for Tommy Atkins in Americas.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »
@ Tropicdude, nice vid. Anyone knows if jumbo kesar is available in FL?

I know they have them at Fairchild. 

This particular case, the scions were brought directly from India.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »
Tropicdude, that's great success, continuous fruiting even bigger bonus. Hopefully this could become beginning of the end for Tommy Atkins in Americas.

yeah that would be great,  I am also involved with the local agricultural mango board in the country,  one of the projects, is to establish 5 experimental stations in different areas of the country that have different micro climates.   Noris Ledesma of Fairchild gardens selected the varieties she feels we should evaluate.

Anyway not to deviate too much from topic,  one of those varieties is the Jumbo Kesar, which means it will be available some day to any farmer that wishes to grow that variety.   Alphonso, and Sindhri ( Pakistan ) are also in the genoplasm bank.

I have 3 trees, given to me by "Joe" last year,   my area gets a lot of rain, and these trees look very clean.  hopefully they will do well in Florida for you guys.   
William

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »
Just picked first kesar of my tree:

- AJ

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 08:42:01 PM »
Hi Harry,

I think you mentioned that you have Ewais mango tree in you property, right ?!. How would you compare Ewais to Kesar in Flavor ?.

Thanks

Correct, I do have both.  Eweis is a much older tree and has borne consistent crops for quite few years. This was the first year that my Kesar tree carried fruit to maturity and, as the result of a family vacation away from home, I only got to try two of the 25 or so fruits the tree produced.  The initial sampling of Kesar left me favorably impressed.  It is not my favorite mango by a long shot, but it seems to have a nice flavor, good productivity and good disease resistance. It has some flavor similarities to Bombay and Eweis.  For me, Eweis, at least at this stage of production in my yard, is slightly superior in flavor.......in my humble opinion.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
Hi Harry,

Thanks

Correct, I do have both.  Eweis is a much older tree and has borne consistent crops for quite few years. This was the first year that my Kesar tree carried fruit to maturity and, as the result of a family vacation away from home, I only got to try two of the 25 or so fruits the tree produced.  The initial sampling of Kesar left me favorably impressed.  It is not my favorite mango by a long shot, but it seems to have a nice flavor, good productivity and good disease resistance. It has some flavor similarities to Bombay and Eweis.  For me, Eweis, at least at this stage of production in my yard, is slightly superior in flavor.......in my humble opinion.

I have eaten a few mangoes in my short time on this earth.  Ewais is among the sweetness of them all.  Glad to make the initial acquaintance with Kesar this year at Harry's and look forward to enjoying more on the west coast next month...I am told common in stores in some parts of Cali.

ajtropicals

• USA, NC, Morrisville
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 10:10:57 PM »
Just picked first kesar of my tree:

I just ate this and loved it.
- AJ