Author Topic: Future’s Florida Fruit Feast - Vol 9 - 2019 edition  (Read 21994 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Future’s Florida Fruit Feast - Vol 9 - 2019 edition
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 09:15:19 AM »
I enjoyed the m-10 very much. It has that perfumey (don’t know what else to call it)flavor that I really enjoy it’s  the reason I planted “Providence”. From my notes I think harvest moon also had this perfumey flavor but not sure this was 2 years ago. My friend who sampled the m-10 described that perfumey note like the Valentine’s Day candy hearts (sweet hearts candy)
How is your Providence doing?  Have you had much fruit?  How has it tasted?  Is MBBS an issue?  (I planted it because I wanted an improved Kent, but so far no fruit.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:18:00 AM by johnb51 »
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 10:31:37 AM »
Most of our Providence fruit rot every year

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »
8 or 9 exceedingly sweet mangoes a day is a mountain to climb!

Thank you for reporting in on the Yi Xuan, my ears always perk up when someone mentions a variety extolled by our most discerning snob. (lurking as he may be)

I can't wait to taste the Abayomi mango.

Sheehan inspires me.  My money says he's the most discerning mango snob among mango snobs.  He rejection rate, refusing even to take a bite if its not top notch, is phenomenal.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
My tree is still small, only planted in ground last year. It had one fruit on it this year. I have left it on to see if it makes it. But the tree looks good and the fact it fruited makes me think it’s headed in the right direction.

As for fruit and flowering not in the best spot in my yard. I’m hopeful it will be good tree cause I enjoyed the late season fruit very much when I sampled from Walter.

This was last year when I planted I will try to get a new pic of this year.

Here is a pic from today tree looks good seems like fruit was packed by something has cracks:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:29:50 PM by Tiberivs »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »
Spoke to Walter to thank them fro the Yi Xuan and make my bid to save the tree.  He said he won't cut it down anytime soon.  In addition to Squam, Yi Xuan is also being trialed in California.  Peter has it.  We'll see if their drier climate allows the splitting to subside.  (JF - can you convince Peter to become a forum member?) 

Walter also expressed his love for Beatrice.  Even falling of the tree with black spotted skin, its high quality flavor surprised him.   I have one that should be ready in the next day or so.  Like Yi Xuan, its a pretty big mango.  Walter advises a piece can be sliced to sample and just leave it another day if it isn't ready.

Meanwhile Pineapple Pleasure, Brite Bite, Kryptonite and Sugarloaf are calling me to breakfast.

Lunch looks like Guava, Dupuis Saigon, Cac and Ice Cream.

Sverona Rheka, Angie, Jehengar are in the wings...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:08:42 PM by Cookie Monster »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 12:09:38 PM »
Most of our Providence fruit rot every year
OMG :'(  So my tree is doomed?  Should I replace it now, or give it a chance?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:14:18 PM by johnb51 »
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 01:03:47 PM »
Breakfast: Kryptonite, Brite Bite, E4,Pineapple Pleasure, Guava

I have a friend from Ghana who is part of the traditional chieftaincy there.  He instructs the people in his village to eat at least 200 mangoes each mango season in order to access and store essentially a year's worth of beta carotene.  I'm not in Ghana but beta carotene is in me...

Kryptonite was gone too far.  Mushy on one side and funky.  I took a bite on the firm side and while its potential was there, the smell from the funky side was too much.  Trashed.

Brite Bite is a working title for Walter Zill's latest selection.  I am bathing in mango aroma, permeating the house.  From my morning's first breath til the night's last, its pure pleasure.  We adjust to persistent aroma by tuning it out and thus leaving and returning reminds how strong it is.  Thus when I cut a mango and its aroma strikes, its noteworthy.  BB struck this morning.  Beautiful red coloration hides bright yellow firm flesh inside.  Medium sized mango is highly aromatic.  Reminds of melon.  The taste follows the smell and while it may not break my top 50, don't let that throw you off.  If you can get one, try a brite bite.  As the name suggest, it has a sharp awakening flavor.  Good mango.

E4 have been amazing this year.  This one was no different.  Its the light fruitiness and syrup factory inside that causes one to fall in love.  Its a mango made with friends in mind.

Only one Pineapple Pleasure in my collection this year.  For me its a top 12 mango.  Rare to find such acidity with sweetness.  Big mango, firm, clean.  I thoroughly enjoyed this.  I was certain it would win the meal until...

I decided to add a mid-sized Guava mango to the mix.  Clean and in prime shape.  My first for the year and it reminded me why it makes my top 20.  Incredible aroma.  Faultless flesh.  Silk.  And then there's the creaminess.  It should be unlawful for a mango to be this good.

Pineapple Pleasure was oh so close but Guava wins.

Lunch looks like Cac, Jehengar, Dupuis, Guava and Ice Cream.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 01:24:00 PM »
Future,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get Suvarna Rekha?  Do you have budwood available?  I'd love to buy some.

Best regards,
Scott

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
Breakfast: Maha Chanok, Angie, Fruit Punch

Maha is an all time great.  This one had an interesting spiraling black patch and skin partly going off.  But inside is was perfect.  Firm.  Dense.  Good aroma and subtle flowery sweetness.  For those intimidated by sickly sweetness from the new fangled Zill releases, the classic Maha offers respite.  It was good i ate it first because....

Angie I ate firm as recommended by posters here.  Strikingly beautiful reddish orange speckled skin conceals yellow gold inside.  Stronger aroma than Maha, just as dense but much more flavor.  Is it top tier?  For a true snob, no.  But second tier is no insult.  I really enjoyed Angie and can see how it is being actively pitched as the north america Alphonso substitute.  On its own, eaten firm, you'd have no complaints.  But i followed it with...

Fruit Punch.  My, my, my.  We only scooped two this year and man were they good.  Spotted blackening skin covered immaculate yellowy orange fleshed.  Even denser than Angie.  Even more aromatic than Angie.  Even sweeter than Angie.  Definitely more complex flavor.  Had I eaten this first, well, yea... it closed out breakfast strong.  Its been a while since i had it in promised form and today was that day.

Fruit Punch, hands down, wins breakfast.  Yes, it delivered the knockout.

On the table we have Mun Khun See, Taralay, PPK, Philippine, E4 and Sweet Tart...

Didnt see your review on sweet tart in your post above where you covered Mun Khun See, ppk and E4. What were your thoughts on it? Grafting over a tree to sweet tart now.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2019, 01:40:00 PM »
Yi Xuan is outstanding. Hopefully we have better luck with it regarding the splitting but not holding my breath.

Survanarheka/Sundari is like a mild Bombay.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2019, 01:55:49 PM »
Hey Future,

Have you eaten any P-22 this year and what were your thoughts if so?

-Joep450

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Future,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get Suvarna Rekha?  Do you have budwood available?  I'd love to buy some.

Best regards,
Scott

There’s a really cool dude named Alex....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »
Breakfast: Maha Chanok, Angie, Fruit Punch

Maha is an all time great.  This one had an interesting spiraling black patch and skin partly going off.  But inside is was perfect.  Firm.  Dense.  Good aroma and subtle flowery sweetness.  For those intimidated by sickly sweetness from the new fangled Zill releases, the classic Maha offers respite.  It was good i ate it first because....

Angie I ate firm as recommended by posters here.  Strikingly beautiful reddish orange speckled skin conceals yellow gold inside.  Stronger aroma than Maha, just as dense but much more flavor.  Is it top tier?  For a true snob, no.  But second tier is no insult.  I really enjoyed Angie and can see how it is being actively pitched as the north america Alphonso substitute.  On its own, eaten firm, you'd have no complaints.  But i followed it with...

Fruit Punch.  My, my, my.  We only scooped two this year and man were they good.  Spotted blackening skin covered immaculate yellowy orange fleshed.  Even denser than Angie.  Even more aromatic than Angie.  Even sweeter than Angie.  Definitely more complex flavor.  Had I eaten this first, well, yea... it closed out breakfast strong.  Its been a while since i had it in promised form and today was that day.

Fruit Punch, hands down, wins breakfast.  Yes, it delivered the knockout.

On the table we have Mun Khun See, Taralay, PPK, Philippine, E4 and Sweet Tart...

Didnt see your review on sweet tart in your post above where you covered Mun Khun See, ppk and E4. What were your thoughts on it? Grafting over a tree to sweet tart now.

So far Sweet Tart have been moderately good. Small this year, good firm dense flesh but not exceptionally sweet. Still have a few more. Normally top 5 for me but not punching hard this year.  Even LZ hasn’t been it’s usual self so...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
Hey Future,

Have you eaten any P-22 this year and what were your thoughts if so?

-Joep450

P-22 has been the bomb. Talked to Gary Zill about it and I think it has the same parents as Kryptonite, Venus. (Memory could be wrong). It’s been a few years and the few I had confirmed my memory. It’s a star choice. Big, juicy, sweet. Not the prettiest m outside but who cares.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »
Yi Xuan is outstanding. Hopefully we have better luck with it regarding the splitting but not holding my breath.

First bite reminded of Cotton Candy, a top 3 mango for me.  It’s that sweet.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 04:55:20 PM »
Future,

Best regards,
Scott

There’s a really cool dude named Alex....

LOL!  I know :-)  I didn't realize he had this one.  Thanks!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 05:15:15 PM »
If you've run out of yard space or have no budget for another tree, you might want to skip this post.

Dinner: Apricot, Beatrice, Dupuis Saigon, Cac

Word to the wise: If Walter Zill says he is pleasantly surprised by a new to him mango's taste, pay attention.  Beatrice was first on the plate this eve.  Its a big mango (think Pineapple Pleasure size) with a mottled greeny/orange skin.  Probably 30% blackened skin and a bruise and split on one side.  Inside, yellow with some orange hints.  Fairly dense.  Positively sweet.  But its the flavor than wins your heart.  It has shades of fruit punch, but more subtle that FP at its peak.  no idea where the name came from.  But Beatrice is sexy.  I emphatically enjoyed it and thought I picked the wrong one to start with until....

Dupuis Saigon was also blackened and somewhat soft on one side.  But the good side was great.  Now I remember how it earned a spot in my top 20.  Honey melon like flavor, juicy, fibre free and just a gorgeous yellow pillow of sugar.  No idea why people pronounce Dupuis like Dupree but my gracious, when a mango is this good, call it whatever you want.  Pure delight.

Cac has earned top 12 status for me.  This one was deep orange inside, also spotted outside.  Yellow orange flesh looks like a dream.  If you want to start a just factory, Cac just might be the go to mango.  Seriously.  Justy cutting it left a syrup pool on the plate.  It was a shade over ripe to be fair but I had to rate Dupuis ahead on this day. 

Apricot is a new Walter Zill offering and either autosuggestion works or it does taste like...Apricot.  Small, fibreless and also yellow inside.  I've enjoyed a few but they seem mild after following this crowd.  On its own I'm sure its enjoyable.

So, Apricot brings up the rear.  Cac a solid 3rd.  Beatrice may have won handily eaten a day earlier.  But by a hair's width, the night belongs to Dupuis Saigon.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 08:05:22 PM »
Dinner: Sverona Rheka, Jehengar, ST Maui, Sugarloaf

Sverona Rheka is new to me.  Small.  Seed takes up most of the space.  Ultra fibreless.  Nothing offensive but flavor doesn't grab.  Its an ok mango but generally would have to wow for having low flesh to seed ratio.

Jehengar was also small.  Mine was a light green skinned wrinkled granny outside.  Surprisingly, the flesh inside looked under-ripe.  Almost white.  Just hinting yellow.  It tastes better than it looks.  Blinded, you would swear it was a Sugarloaf.  Alas, tiny fruit with substantial seed makes it a poor substitute but otherwise it would be interesting.

My first year with ST Maui having heard much about it.  Even Sheehan eats them.  Really.  Striking coloration outside, mottled pink and yellow is complemented by two tone yellow inside.  Beautify.  Is it superficial thought?  Actually it was pretty good.  Nothing to complain about here.  It is a well rounded mango - literal and figurative - but alongside the hall of famers I've been eating, it didn't wow me.  No fault of ST Maui.  Perhaps just my mango barrage. 

Sugarloaf remains in the running for top mango for 2019.  Even wrinkled they remain firm inside and OMG tasty.  Coconut heaven.

Sugarloaf wins.

Tomorrow will feature Phoenix, taralay, Guava, Ice Cream, PPK, Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart and Coconut Cream...and I see M-10 turning color...

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
No M4 this year?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
Thanks for the great reviews! I’m interested to hear how Cotton Candy stacks up against the rest of the pack. So far, it sounds like a great year for Mangos.

Simon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2019, 11:39:20 PM »
Sheehan inspires me. My money says he's the most discerning mango snob among mango snobs.  He rejection rate, refusing even to take a bite if its not top notch, is phenomenal.

Too many good mangos to bother eating the garbage.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2019, 11:46:45 PM »
Dinner: Sverona Rheka, Jehengar, ST Maui, Sugarloaf

Sverona Rheka is new to me.  Small.  Seed takes up most of the space.  Ultra fibreless.  Nothing offensive but flavor doesn't grab.  Its an ok mango but generally would have to wow for having low flesh to seed ratio.

Jehengar was also small.  Mine was a light green skinned wrinkled granny outside.  Surprisingly, the flesh inside looked under-ripe.  Almost white.  Just hinting yellow.  It tastes better than it looks.  Blinded, you would swear it was a Sugarloaf.  Alas, tiny fruit with substantial seed makes it a poor substitute but otherwise it would be interesting.

My first year with ST Maui having heard much about it.  Even Sheehan eats them.  Really.  Striking coloration outside, mottled pink and yellow is complemented by two tone yellow inside.  Beautify.  Is it superficial thought?  Actually it was pretty good.  Nothing to complain about here.  It is a well rounded mango - literal and figurative - but alongside the hall of famers I've been eating, it didn't wow me.  No fault of ST Maui.  Perhaps just my mango barrage. 

Sugarloaf remains in the running for top mango for 2019.  Even wrinkled they remain firm inside and OMG tasty.  Coconut heaven.

Sugarloaf wins.

Tomorrow will feature Phoenix, taralay, Guava, Ice Cream, PPK, Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart and Coconut Cream...and I see M-10 turning color...
You can really let Sugarloaf go. It keeps getting better and better. I let one go 3 or 4 extra days and it tasted like coconut syrup. The exterior on the other hand looked horrendous.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2019, 12:25:14 AM »
You can really let Sugarloaf go. It keeps getting better and better. I let one go 3 or 4 extra days and it tasted like coconut syrup. The exterior on the other hand looked horrendous.

I noticed that as well. It has a much longer eatable period that many other mangos. While something like Fruit Punch has an hour when it tastes good, the Sugarloaf has days.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »
Thanks for the great reviews! I’m interested to hear how Cotton Candy stacks up against the rest of the pack. So far, it sounds like a great year for Mangos.

Simon

Flip top: M4 was the only top 10 fruit (#8 on my list) we didn’t get. It runs late so unless I revisit south Florida, not likely, may have to wait until next year.

Simon we only got one Cotton Candy, also a late variety, from Chris at Truly Tropical.  We did a long anticipated fruit tasting or 3 for her Youtube channel.  CC wasn’t in good shape though.  Seacrest crushed it. My mango fiend friends were baptized by sugar.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 11:26:43 AM »
M-4 came and went, from Zill's at least. I picked up the rest of them the day I ran into you at Excalibur. I had actually given the nursery worker one to cut up for you to try. They have been hit or miss, some definitely picked prematurely. When they are good or should I say great they are packed with coconut flavor and a definite top 10.