Author Topic: 5 Top Tropical Fruits....According to my Chickens  (Read 8799 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
5 Top Tropical Fruits....According to my Chickens
« on: April 16, 2014, 12:59:20 AM »
Rather than composting all excess fruits and wastes i let my chickens go through it first. Today they really enjoyed eating rambutans, even the ones that were way over ripe. They turned their beaks up at rollinias and purple malay apples. But really their favorites are #1: coconut meat and #2: bananas.
When i used to grow watermelons, many years ago, my chickens loved picking over left over rinds. I notice this batch don't care much for watermelon. So it must be an acquired taste since the other chickens got watermelon from when they were very little. Also i notice that now my chickens are eating oranges that fall to the ground, whereas before they left them alone. So there also it seems a case of acquire taste over the years.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Top Tropical Fruits....According to my Chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:52:41 AM »
Chickens enjoy papaya quite a bit, too.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:16:03 AM »
Oscar there are breeds of chickens, hence different reactions. Some breeds need to be fed, otherwise they will starve. Those originating from tropical Asian villages are the  best. They find their own food.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:38:18 AM »
They'll also eat rats, if said rat can't escape them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 02:56:11 AM »
Oscar there are breeds of chickens, hence different reactions. Some breeds need to be fed, otherwise they will starve. Those originating from tropical Asian villages are the  best. They find their own food.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, all my chickens are free range, totally free to scavenge all through the farm. I have several breeds, including Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Sumatran Blacks, Japanese Black Tail, Araucanas, and some hybrids. I don't see much difference in their preferences for food within breeds. But i do notice individual preferences within the breeds. They're a lot of fun to watch and have around.
Never encountered any breed that needs to be fed or they will starve? Not sure what you mean by that?
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 06:19:43 AM »
Epicurian chickens, love it.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:29:59 AM »

Oh yes, forgot to mention, all my chickens are free range, totally free to scavenge all through the farm. I have several breeds, including Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Sumatran Blacks, Japanese Black Tail, Araucanas, and some hybrids. I don't see much difference in their preferences for food within breeds. But i do notice individual preferences within the breeds. They're a lot of fun to watch and have around.
Never encountered any breed that needs to be fed or they will starve? Not sure what you mean by that?

My neighbor does this and it really pisses me off--they keep digging up my trees! I'm constantly re-mulching and shifting dirt over exposed roots. I need a pet wedge tailed eagle.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:56:28 AM »
I thought they were also eating mulberries from your tree

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »

Youre kidding, I grew up on poultry farm & we have large rat killing hundred of our chicken, just eating them or partially eaten, biting through metal & concrete.  I was given the patrol duty with a pellet gun; how do you think I have become such a good sniper! ::)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »
My chickens really seem to like small grape tomatoes, Grumichama's and fallen soft Sapodilla. They will eat ripe banana but don't seem that happy about it. As far as what else they eat, anything small that moves mostly bugs, small lizards and frogs. 

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »

He is probably referring to the Cornish x Rock crosses used for meat birds. I raised 30 of these last year. They will eat themselves to death if you leave food in front of them. And they don't like scavaging for food as much as other breeds from what I've read.

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »

He is probably referring to the Cornish x Rock crosses used for meat birds. I raised 30 of these last year. They will eat themselves to death if you leave food in front of them. And they don't like scavaging for food as much as other breeds from what I've read. Mine eat just about everything except citrus and believe it or not they won't touch worms...

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
He is probably referring to the Cornish x Rock crosses used for meat birds. I raised 30 of these last year. They will eat themselves to death if you leave food in front of them. And they don't like scavaging for food as much as other breeds from what I've read.

Cornish-Rock meat birds will not eat themselves to death.  In fact, the normal procedure raising them is to have food available to them 24/7.  Some will become so heavy that they can't walk properly, but they won't die from overeating.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
My dog will second that coconuts make the top of the list! It is very difficult to get him to try new produce for some reason, I have been nothing but kind to him but still he thinks I'm trying to trick him! So after turning his nose up at all manner of vet-approved vegetables and fruits including even very ripe melons and pineapple, he has thus far determined that mamey sapote is delicious, as are apples of pretty much any variety, ripe figs, and coconuts are the best thing ever! It's pretty funny, as a dog who grew up up North and didn't try his first piece of coconut until 10 1/2 years old, he now pushes his nose at all the green coconuts I have cut down, trying to urge me to open them. I guess he can smell the coconut water through them, because he does not seem to know where the mature coconut comes from. He likes both green and mature coconut flesh, and goes crazy trying to get to the coconut water when I am busy peeling the green ones open. Apparently he loves the idea of retiring as an island dog, and spends all his day running from one plant to the next sniffing, and rolling in the grass under the sun and palms watching the lizards!

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »

Cornish-Rock meat birds will not eat themselves to death.  In fact, the normal procedure raising them is to have food available to them 24/7.  Some will become so heavy that they can't walk properly, but they won't die from overeating.
You're wrong. And tons of information on the net will prove it. These crosses are bread to eat continuously so they will reach market faster and at lower cost. The problem arises when there hearts can't keep up with the amount of weight their bodies are packing. A lot of these die from heart failure or heat exhaustion due to this bulking process. I also lost some because of this.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
My dog will second that coconuts make the top of the list! It is very difficult to get him to try new produce for some reason, I have been nothing but kind to him but still he thinks I'm trying to trick him! So after turning his nose up at all manner of vet-approved vegetables and fruits including even very ripe melons and pineapple, he has thus far determined that mamey sapote is delicious, as are apples of pretty much any variety, ripe figs, and coconuts are the best thing ever! It's pretty funny, as a dog who grew up up North and didn't try his first piece of coconut until 10 1/2 years old, he now pushes his nose at all the green coconuts I have cut down, trying to urge me to open them. I guess he can smell the coconut water through them, because he does not seem to know where the mature coconut comes from. He likes both green and mature coconut flesh, and goes crazy trying to get to the coconut water when I am busy peeling the green ones open. Apparently he loves the idea of retiring as an island dog, and spends all his day running from one plant to the next sniffing, and rolling in the grass under the sun and palms watching the lizards!

ah, the good life!  Maybe he would enjoy a Jimmy Buffett concert!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »

My dog also likes Mamey...he even ate a bunch of monthong durian that I couldn't force myself to finish..

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »

You're wrong. And tons of information on the net will prove it. These crosses are bread to eat continuously so they will reach market faster and at lower cost. The problem arises when there hearts can't keep up with the amount of weight their bodies are packing. A lot of these die from heart failure or heat exhaustion due to this bulking process. I also lost some because of this.

I recall that Rock-Cornish birds are also prone to skeletal problems if you are not careful with their diet (maybe that is why some cannot walk properly?).  I didn't pay too much attention to specifics -- seemed like they had too many potential health problems & I had already written them off for my flock.

John

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »

You must be keeping them past the 6 weeks or so intended for broilers. 

Cornish-Rock crosses are broiler chickens - meant to be harvested at 4-8 weeks max.   During this time, the standard practice is to give them free access to a high-protein feed 24/7.   If there were significant deaths during the raising it would not be profitable to do this.

After the broiler stage, you're probably right about health issues being problematic.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:50:51 PM by jcaldeira »

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »
Lol, he's never heard Jimmy Buffett, but he's heard plenty of Marley and Afro-Cuban salsa! A Jimmy Buffett concert might scare him since he seems to cling to the familiar.  :)

Ha, the good thing about dogs is, they'll eat anything you find unpalatable - even if that happens to be durian. I bet that would be a perfect fit for my dog, if I ever happen to have some on hand.

Oh, and I forgot, he also tried his first piece of papaya about a month ago, and while it took more than 5 minutes to convince him to eat it, he did eventually like it. But I don't know that he'd remember it right away if I tried again.

It seems that the rule of thumb with dogs is, any fruit that is very sweet, stinky, or fatty is probably going to be popular. And perhaps they have a sense for what's good for them, such that they go after the electrolytes in coconut water. Then again, the coconut water from my trees is unusually sweet, as if it had sugar poured in it, so maybe that's why!

mikesid

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »

You must be keeping them past the 6 weeks or so intended for broilers. 

Cornish-Rock crosses are broiler chickens - meant to be harvested at 4-8 weeks max.   During this time, the standard practice is to give them free access to a high-protein feed 24/7.   If there were significant deaths during the raising it would not be profitable to do this.

After the broiler stage, you're probably right about health issues being problematic.
I did keep a couple past the 6 week threshold. In fact I still have two. They are over a year old now and I give them mostly fruits and veggies and limit their protein. They are kind of insurance policy if we get another hurricane and the power is off for another 2 weeks like we had to deal with in the last hurricane that hit close to home. But yes you are right, if you're gonna feed these guys 24/7 you gotta harvest them early. These girls even started laying eggs..

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 07:39:29 PM »
I thought they were also eating mulberries from your tree

Yes, i forgot about the mulberries. The chickens love them, but not in their top 5. Maybe it would make it to their top 10?  ;)  I wonder if our eggs have extra resveratrol as a result?  ;) Anyway they are some super healthy chickens! Have one that's about 7 years old and is still laying eggs regularly!  8)
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »

Youre kidding, I grew up on poultry farm & we have large rat killing hundred of our chicken, just eating them or partially eaten, biting through metal & concrete.  I was given the patrol duty with a pellet gun; how do you think I have become such a good sniper! ::)

I think he confused rats with mice? They can eat little baby mice no problem. You're right, they're not going to tackle big ole rats.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
My chickens really seem to like small grape tomatoes, Grumichama's and fallen soft Sapodilla. They will eat ripe banana but don't seem that happy about it. As far as what else they eat, anything small that moves mostly bugs, small lizards and frogs.

Yes they like grumichamas here also. But not in their top 10. Maybe because the trees drop so many. They also really love guavas, but again, too many for them to eat. Tomatoes they adore, but i don't let em get near my veggie garden or they would wipe em out. All fenced out. I will throw them damaged ones and watch the chase as to who the speediest and luckiest one to grab it is.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
Never tried cornish hens. Focus on egg laying varieties as we don't slaughter them, they're our beloved pets!  8)
Oscar