Author Topic: Avocado Tyro Seeking Help, Advice, the Meaning of Life  (Read 1128 times)

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
Avocado Tyro Seeking Help, Advice, the Meaning of Life
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:19:38 PM »
Hello,

I'm relatively new to the hobby of growing Avocado trees, though I have some years caring for various other citrus, stone, and veggies.  Right now, I have three avocado trees in large ~45-gal containers that I purchased from Four Wind Growers) 3+ years back.  You can see them in my pics below, left-to-right: Mexicola, Fuerte, and Bacon.  The latter two set a few fruit last year, however in the heat of our 110F Sacramento summer, all fruit dropped.  I tried to maintain an even water-level in the well-draining soil.

I now have six new #5 Avocado trees, purchased from the local Green Acres Nursery (from Four Winds Growers).  These are 2x Holiday, 2x Lamb-Hass, 1x Pinkerton, and 1x Sir Prize.  I want to plant these trees in some kind of future transportable solution along the south-west side of my house.  You can see that space in the last two pics I posted below.  I checked temps in this space compared to the rest of my backyard, and the in-between fence-house location seems to be ~4-deg F warmer.  I was thinking I might plant one of the above threes every 6-8 feet, and top the tree to keep them low.  Having read Mark's Thread:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=7511.msg266615#msg266615

I thought I might try out the RootBuilder II expandable container solution that Mark is using, but I am having trouble sourcing the wholesale rolls.  I'm not sure if I should allow the bottom to remain open to the soil below, given I plan to relocate these trees sometime in the medium term future.  What's worse, constraining the tap-root at the bottom or cutting it sometime in the future??  Another thought I had was to plant a couple trees in one of my large raised bed/retaining wall structures (see pics 1/2).  These would be permanent I think.

For the potted plants, I was thinking to use freeze cloth covering and C7 lighting for times like we've had here recently with lows in 18F and multi sub-32F nights.  I'm not sure if folks have other solutions that have worked better for protection short of a full greenhouse.  You can see some of the new trees in the 6th pick.  I have them living under a freeze cloth these past couple weeks.  So basically, I'm just putting out a call for any help, and/or advice from you Avocado experts, particularly any that have been successful with container-culture and in colder zones.  I'll do just about anything to make this a success.  Also, are there any of you in the area?  I'd love to commiserate with like-minded "arboriculturists."  Finally, do any of you know of a good northern CA nursery to obtain ready (already grafted) less common varieties, such as GEM and so many others that pique my interest for their flavor or cold hardiness (or both)?  Are there any group buys in the works this season?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all!
-naysen