Author Topic: Costco selling tropical fruit trees.  (Read 25628 times)

gabodymod

• Zone 10 FL
    • View Profile
Costco selling tropical fruit trees.
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:48 PM »
Went to Costco ( Hialeah, Florida)  this morning and to my surprise they had tropical fruit trees for sale.They had  Valencia Pride Mango, Simmons Avocado, Russell Avocado in 7g  pots. Carrie mango, UF Sun Peach and other tropical fruit trees in 3g pots.

Guillermo.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Costco selling tropical fruit trees.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:15:24 AM »
Interesting. First I've heard of costco selling tropical fruit. Previously I've only seen them selling ornamentals and tomato plants.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:37:27 AM »
For the guys in SoCal, Costco in Fountain Valley has different varieties of Avocadoes, Lemon Guava, Strawberry Guava, bunch of citrus, and I have been told they will be selling grafted mangoes at a killer price. Will keep you posted.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
thanks cubano, I might add that Sams Club in La Habra had grafted mangos, guavas,cherimoyas and other tropicals from La Verne Nursery last spring....have not checked this year.

JF

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
Thanx, let me know if you see them again this spring at Sam's.. I will let you guys know as soon as the grafted mangoes show up at Costco.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:57:54 AM »
I would like to discourage people buying fruit trees from big box top stores, like Wal-Mart, Sams, Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's. I know the low prices are hard to resist, but stores like this tend to put local nurseries out of business, or at least to hurt their business. So if at all possible please buy your trees from your local nurseries.
Oscar
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:59:45 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
I would like to discourage people buying fruit trees from big box top stores, like Wal-Mart, Sams, Costco, Home Depot, Lowe's. I know the low prices are hard to resist, but stores like this tend to put local nurseries out of business, or at least to hurt their business. So if at all possible please buy your trees from your local nurseries.
Oscar

+1   :D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:33:57 PM »
Oscar

+1   :D
I agree 100%.  In addition to what Oscar said, by doing so will also avoid any greater chance of mislabeling or circulating trees with any disease or health issues.
- Rob

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »
Another great reason to consider your local nursery is that they can often obtain things that the major retailers simply can't or won't. They also offer a level of care, knowledge, and experience that simply can't be matched by the big garden centers.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
What if your local nursery charges an arm, a leg and your first born like we have here in CA?
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »
What if your local nursery charges an arm, a leg and your first born like we have here in CA?

As i recall there are quite a few nurseries in Southern California. If the most closest to you charges too much try a different plant nursery. As i recall the ones specializing in tropical fruits are mostly centered around Vista. There used to be a nursery in Del Mar that had real good prices. But don't know if they're still in business?
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
What is more important to you, quality of the plant and trustworthiness, as well as supporting your local business, or price ?  Me, personally, would always opt for a local, better qualifies nursery over a big box store.
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »
But Lowes & Home Depot have 1-year guarantee on plants, I don't know how Sam's club works but Costco is beyond belief with their service, if I ever find out they're not selling me what's advertised, I can almost guarantee they'll take it back with a smile on their faces.  And technically I'd be supporting a local business (regardless however big they are now), Costco or Price Club got started right here in San Diego :)        Regardless, you know I'm just jerking your chains though, right?  But seriously, I've grown tired of CA nurserymen's arrogance.  I'd rather be dealing with trustworthy folks on here from FL anyway  ;D
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
Another possiblity is finding out which nursery those big top stores are getting their plants from? You probably know that NONE of these stores actually grow plants? They might even by buying them from one of those arrogant California nurseries you mention! Locally all the plants sold at big top stores here come from just one or two local nurseries, which i can go direct to, get same or lower price and much better selection. Plus there is a real person to talk to and get real information from.
Oscar
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »
You might also not realize that when you return that beat up plant after a year to Costco it's not Costco that loses money, again it's the nursery they are buying it from. Costco will return that plant to the nursery for replacement. That is why they are all smiles! These big top stores are middlemen, distributors of plants other people are growing.
Oscar
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 10:59:02 PM »
Tim I totally agree with you. There is nothing wrong with buying from Costco. The local nurseries need to become more competitive, efficient and have better customer service and better prices. Costco sells quality stuff at a very competitive price with a guarantee that if at any time you don't like it, you can return it and Costco eats the loss. That's the way it works at Costco. For all of the Costco haters, thanx for the input, but you are wrong. Costco/Price Club has been a part of SoCal's fabric for a long time and for good reasons. Buy at Costco with confidence. I can't say that about the local nurseries.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »
Tim I totally agree with you. There is nothing wrong with buying from Costco. The local nurseries need to become more competitive, efficient and have better customer service and better prices. Costco sells quality stuff at a very competitive price with a guarantee that if at any time you don't like it, you can return it and Costco eats the loss. That's the way it works at Costco. For all of the Costco haters, thanx for the input, but you are wrong. Costco/Price Club has been a part of SoCal's fabric for a long time and for good reasons. Buy at Costco with confidence. I can't say that about the local nurseries.
Wrong, as with any store it is the supplier that eats the loss.  Costco will get reimbursed in some manner from the nursery,  As Oscar said,, its the nursery that takes the loss.

Here is another thing to consider with you big box lovers, for plants at least...you buy the plant and keep it for ten months, investing time, effort, money to then return it for whatever reason and get your "free" replacement...was it really worth the savings ???  Good/qulaity plants are not cheap and cheap plants are not good...in other words, you get what you pay for.  Do you REALLY think these nurseries are selling their best stock to the big box stores at cut rate prices ?? Please...

By the way, please let me know when you see the big box sell any grafted version of a: Mahachanok, Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, Mallika, any mango on a dwarfing rootstock, jakfruit, any type of Jaboticaba (for Adam), a Rollinia or any annona, Lula or Wurtz Avocado, Pantin Mamey, Red Lime, Centennial Kumquat, Variegated Red Navel...yes, I could go on and on...
- Rob

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 12:11:15 AM »
Rob, Costco is not a nursery. It is unfair to compare the variety of plants available on a nursery to Costco. Costco offers a variety of goods and services that I can guarantee you, you  will never find at your friendly (not), local, price gouging nursery. Costco carries a limited amount of plants, for a limited amount of time at an incredible price and quality. If one has different agendas for which they don't want to shop Costco...fine....I am sure the overstocked, overpriced, great service (not) nursery will be happy to take your money. Personally, I shop from both and I don't have an agenda. I just call it like it is.  I will leave it at this....Have a good evening.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 12:22:27 AM »
Rob, Costco is not a nursery. It is unfair to compare the variety of plants available on a nursery to Costco. Costco offers a variety of goods and services that I can guarantee you, you  will never find at your friendly (not), local, price gouging nursery. Costco carries a limited amount of plants, for a limited amount of time at an incredible price and quality. If one has different agendas for which they don't want to shop Costco...fine....I am sure the overstocked, overpriced, great service (not) nursery will be happy to take your money. Personally, I shop from both and I don't have an agenda. I just call it like it is.  I will leave it at this....Have a good evening.
I know quite well what Costco is, shop there on a regular basis, not for plants though.  And sorry, I will continue to by from Excalibur, Jeff Hagen and Zills, where I WON'T be gouged and I know what I am buying and can TRUST  everything about it....oh, and I get great service from all of them.  No agenda here either, just getting the best quality at the best selection, all while SUPPORTING the local growers.
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 01:04:30 AM »
You might also not realize that when you return that beat up plant after a year to Costco it's not Costco that loses money, again it's the nursery they are buying it from. Costco will return that plant to the nursery for replacement. That is why they are all smiles! These big top stores are middlemen, distributors of plants other people are growing.
Oscar
So tell me who's fault it is IF the wrong label was put on a mango tree?  The nursery or Costco or any other big box store?  Because certainly I don't think Costco or any other reasonable big box store would go through the trouble and manpower of re-labeling trees from all their shipments.  If it is indeed the nursery, then WHO should stand behind and guarantee customer satisfaction with the purchased goods?

Most businesses operate with certain level of integrity and under some level of quality assurance, the more involved the consumers are the higher the level of quality assurance.  There are instances of lapsed judgement and a few things slip through the cracks, the best of us makes mistakes from time to time.  Given the fact they will NEVER have the selection of specialized small nurseries , their plants aren't that far behind in health and quality, if not up to par.  As for the unhealthy looking specimens, you'll find them either discounted or on clearance racks.  Now if you're desperate enough to buy these specific plants, you have no rights complaining its health and quality. 

Now look at it from the average and small consumers' point of views rather than small business owner, who's watching out for their wallets and bank accounts when they're watching for the well being of a local business?  People don't necessary go out of their way to get the newest and rarest like us fruit nuts, they simply get what they don't already have at a decent price from a reputable company that has a good return policy.  Like many others, I've gone out of my way and paid well over the norm just for something I liked.  But for every me, there's at least twice as many not willing to go that extra mile to pay that extra dollar. 

Anyways, of all this talk...I think Patrick has this well under control, check out his buy more save more discount.  Too bad he's in FL and not CA, he'd take out all the local nurseries in the matter of months.
Tim

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »

I'm not familiar with the nurseries in California but in Florida our nurseries are quite competitive with the major retailers when it comes to pricing.

I've just come to associate everything with California involving being expensive, regardless of what it is.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 01:23:22 AM »
That's why when you see a post with some new trees obtained for going price in FL, us CA folks cry foul and full of envy.  But then again, CA isn't the worst in the world, some places can't even get trees.
Tim

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 01:39:39 AM »
The problem with the price of hard to get rare fruit varieties in California is it is so hard to propagate here on a large scale without a large greenhouse. And the shipping of all of those nice varieties are double the price of the plant. I have a friend that owns a nursery that had to destroy $9,000 worth of Mangoes in 7 and 15 gal containers because one of the leaves had a scale on it, and the plants within 10 feet of the plant had to be destroyed even though they were clean. This is the over regulation of local, state and the USDA. Try and have someone send a plant from Hawaii, I can't think of anyone that does anymore. They won't take the time to grow the plant in perlite and peat on a table and ship it out. Come on airlayer it, stick it in  some soilless medium, and charge a bit extra for a phyto. Brunnner does it very efficiently from P.R.  My last trip to Hawaii, I picked up some nice plants, took them to the USDA at the Honolulu airport, the nice people checked for bugs, helped me bareroot the plants, sealed the container and I was on my way. I now have a couple of different varieties of Lychee, wax jambu, mango, and starapple.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:41:25 AM by marklee »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 02:06:05 AM »
Yes part of the reason for more expensive plants in California than in Florida is California's more stringent control, especially for nematodes, which Florida doesn't have. On the other hand California is not alone in that regards, there are 3 other states that have the same stringent nematode requirement as California: Texas, Louisiana, and Arizona. So shipping to these 4 states is the most difficult.
Oscar
Oscar

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 02:41:54 AM »
Oscar,

Just another example of the over reaching power of the Ag depts. In California we already have those nematodes they are worried about. I don't know about the other states. I worked for one of the local ag depts for a few years and parts of the operations are ridiculous. I know you have some nice seed selections, but really, a couple of unusual airlayered or grafted fruit trees would be nice

Mark