Author Topic: A Glimmer Of Hope For The Florida Citrus Industry  (Read 1424 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
A Glimmer Of Hope For The Florida Citrus Industry
« on: August 23, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »
Growing evidence of several citrus rootstocks that are tolerant to the devastation caused by citrus greening, has given hope to growers in Florida that they can keep their industry alive long enough to find a cure. But University of Florida citrus researchers have yet to find a rootstock that can completely withstand the stress and devastation caused citrus greening. If you were resistant to the flu virus, you would not get it. If I were tolerant to the flu virus, I would get it but it wouldn't affect me strongly. Yet, of the many ways the researchers are exploring to combat HLB - from steam treatments to genetic modification - identifying and cultivating disease-resilient rootstocks seems to be the most sought after by commercial growers.  It's not a cure. But each new hybrid that holds up to HLB infection is a way to keep producing fruit and keep the $10 billion industry alive. Some experimental rootstocks have held up to greening so far. They are not resistant or immune, but they have held up longer, they stay healthy and produce good amounts of good quality fruit. The University of Florida has approved 17 new rootstocks, selected in most cases only because of their demonstrated tolerance in small plantings to greening,

Millet
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:18:13 PM by Millet »

Acocyetly

• Tampa-ish FL
    • View Profile
Re: A Glimmer Of Hope For The Florida Citrus Industry
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 03:50:23 PM »
Thank you for this! I am hoping to replant some of the citrus we've lost over the years!! We got hit by everything it seems.