Author Topic: Propagating Litchi/Longan by root cuttings?  (Read 1756 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Propagating Litchi/Longan by root cuttings?
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:04:48 PM »
I was reading an old forestry book on propagation and it discusses propagation by root cuttings. I've also noticed that even small liberated roots of carrotwood are throwing up shoots in various parts of my yard.

Has anyone tried propagating lychee, longan or any of the other soapberry family trees (rambutan, guinep, pulasan, ackee, etc) by root cuttings?

The only mention I've found online is this patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/US5584140

According to this thread, most Lychee and Longan are propagated by air layering, so the roots should be the desired variety. But I have also seen videos before on approach grafted Longan or Lychee.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1899.5
Shane

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Propagating Litchi/Longan by root cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:02:34 PM »
I haven't tried rooting lychee from cuttings, at least not on purpose. But i noticed when i cut a big tree down that some of the trunk pieces buried in saw dust started sprouting.
Here is what Morton book says about it:
Attempts to grow the lychee from cuttings have been generally discouraging, though 80% success has been claimed with spring cuttings in full sun, under constant mist and given weekly liquid nutrients. Ground-layering has been practiced to some extent.
Oscar

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:04:15 PM »
I haven't tried rooting lychee from cuttings, at least not on purpose. But i noticed when i cut a big tree down that some of the trunk pieces buried in saw dust started sprouting.
Attempts to grow the lychee from cuttings have been generally discouraging, though 80% success has been claimed with spring cuttings in full sun, under constant mist and given weekly liquid nutrients. Ground-layering has been practiced to some extent.

Interesting. Morton's quotation refers to wood cuttings, not root, right?
Shane

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 10:29:15 PM »

Interesting. Morton's quotation refers to wood cuttings, not root, right?

Yes cuttihgs refer to wood cuttings, but the ground layering might refer to roots.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk