Author Topic: Citrus buds swelling, time to fertilize?  (Read 1439 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Citrus buds swelling, time to fertilize?
« on: January 24, 2021, 03:08:47 PM »
My plan was to fertilize a few weeks before Spring, but my small lemons and limes are all pushing buds. Should I fertilize now with a standard citrus fertilizer?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus buds swelling, time to fertilize?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 11:18:43 PM »
I need to know this too

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 07:06:23 AM »
Jake y’all hardly even freeze that far south I don’t think you have much to worry about with fertilizing, and new growth getting nipped by frost.. I’d say you’re good to go, but use a bit less nitrogen anyway..

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 09:09:08 AM »
Thanks. Yeah, no freeze concerns at my house, I'm a few hundred yards from the Gulf. When you say something with a little less nitrogen, what are you thinking? My Citrus fertilizer is 5-2-6

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:29:38 AM »
If you’re in FL sand, your fertilizer is going to wash out fast. I’d focus on compost and slow release fertilizer and watch for signs of low nitrogen. Citrus grow like weeds in the woods in FL fertilized by leaf litter.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 11:28:32 AM »
They are currently in Root Builder pots, not looking to in-ground them anytime soon (thinking they'll be in very large terracotta pots eventually).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 03:49:56 PM »
It is important to understand that warm winter temperatures, not irrigation or fertilization, play the major role in stimulating untimely  winter flushes of large, mature trees. However, when unseasonably  warm temperatures occur, young trees may flush more easier than larger mature trees, especially trees planted the previous fall.  If such young trees flush during winter months,  fertilization may stimulate additional, tender growth, making trees even more susceptible.  Consider the degree of flush, tree size, time of year, and geographic location when making this decision.  (Florida Your Dooryard Citrus Guide).

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:01:07 PM by Millet »

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 09:07:56 AM »
Here’s one of the Myer lemons, they are all about this size, all fairly loaded with buds. I feel like they are probably too small to let fruit, but I don’t know if that’s true for citrus. My primary goal this season is to get them bigger and healthy, so maybe I should be stripping them of fruit, in any case. I can move them to shelter if a cold snap comes through, I’d really like to get a jump on growth before the CLM hit their stride. I'm thinking I'll go ahead with a little fertilizer now.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:28:17 AM by JakeFruit »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 08:01:27 AM »
If you’re in FL sand, your fertilizer is going to wash out fast. I’d focus on compost and slow release fertilizer and watch for signs of low nitrogen. Citrus grow like weeds in the woods in FL fertilized by leaf litter.
Very true
The only problem I have with a lot of slow release granulated fertilizers is low pH so I have to add about 50% pulverized limestone when applying it..
Fast release miracle grow and those types of fertilizers are actually pH balanced 5-6 except for a few brands..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:08:21 AM by 850FL »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 08:06:02 AM »
Here’s one of the Myer lemons, they are all about this size, all fairly loaded with buds. I feel like they are probably too small to let fruit, but I don’t know if that’s true for citrus. My primary goal this season is to get them bigger and healthy, so maybe I should be stripping them of fruit, in any case. I can move them to shelter if a cold snap comes through, I’d really like to get a jump on growth before the CLM hit their stride. I'm thinking I'll go ahead with a little fertilizer now.

They are large enough to hold a couple fruit at that size but it will hamper actual growth a lot for the first couple years if you leave the fruit on and will also take nutrients from the leaves to fuel the fruit if you’re not on top of fertilization..as so
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:10:02 AM by 850FL »

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 10:30:31 PM »
They are currently in Root Builder pots, not looking to in-ground them anytime soon (thinking they'll be in very large terracotta pots eventually).

Pot you are using looks like regular pot.  By any chance, you painted inside the pot with Copper Hydroxide paint mixes?  Thank you

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
Yes, you are correct. When I bought my Persian Lime & Myer Lemon last March, there were actually 3 plants in each container. I separated all six, put a few in RootBuilder pots and a few in regular pots. They all are doing about the same (regardless of container), all are budding, the one pictured was just budding the most. I didn't paint anything in any pots, they were fairly neglected while I focused on my mangoes and avocados. By the time I started fertilizing them, it was summer and the CLM hit them hard.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 05:10:36 PM »
I inquired ‘record buck’ a few months ago about their stock and they said anything in a 1-2 gallon pot is a  rooted cutting.. including their cocktail lemon/limes.. non grafted, just 2 cuttings stuck in a pot..

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 05:39:59 PM »
Indeed, these don't look like they were seed-started. None have a well-defined trunk, one or two look like good candidates for hacking low to the ground and starting over....when it warms up a bit.