Author Topic: Coconut Cream Mango: Genuine or Counterfeit?  (Read 23874 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Cream Mango: Genuine or Counterfeit?
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 07:10:24 AM »
My Dot is about 30 feet away from my neighbor's 10 year old Zill tree. Both trees share a very similar growth habit, broad and airy, similar leaf shape, and the lighter green leaf color. The fruit shapes are similar too, but the Zill has more brilliant color than the Dot. Both fruit are sweet and have a tart component, but the Dot flavor is ultra intense compared to the Zill.

I agree except when fully ripe the Dot loses its most of that tart component whereas the Zill tends to retain it (i would also call it an acidic or subacid as opposed to truly tart).  I have also seen many large Dot fruit with broad shoulders,  unlike either Dot or Carrie...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »
Interesting. So, I guess that makes the pina colada a zill seedling too eh?
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 10:59:50 AM »

In its "family tree", yes but not directly a seedling of Zill...as you know, Pina Colada is from a Dot seedling.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 11:18:41 AM »
PC is a Dot/Gary cross, so at a minimum it has Julie as a great great maternal grandparent

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »
So basically the two mangoes that started the Zill program were julie and haden?
Alexi

ivan79

• Can we Say cachucha pepper.
    • USA,FL,Dade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »
This is a photo of my Coconut cream tree, I tipped two mounts ago and it’s giving me three to four flower branches where I tipped.

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
My coconut cream also with a very willow like growth in southern california.  It blooms so much some are actually touching the ground.

Robert

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 11:13:47 PM »
Sorry, yah that's what I meant.

In its "family tree", yes but not directly a seedling of Zill...as you know, Pina Colada is from a Dot seedling.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 11:14:10 PM »
true dat. forgot about that.

PC is a Dot/Gary cross, so at a minimum it has Julie as a great great maternal grandparent

Ryan

• The Hawaiian Isles, Zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2015, 12:27:21 AM »
So Ryan did you buy the supposed coconut cream mango tree?  Or did still hold it for that grower you mentioned.  I live in kona and would love to get one of these trees.  Sounds delicious.  I guess you had to order yours from a nursery on the mainland?   I see that top tropicals lists the tree for sale on their website.  Who did you order yours from?   

Hi Kona fruit farm, I apologize for the delayed response. Yes, I did purchase the tree. A few days ago, I contacted the event organizer inquiring about how additional coconut cream mangos could be purchased (I purchased it directly from their booth). I was told that it was a one time thing and that no more are available. If I come across more (unlikely), I'll try to PM you here on the forum. For now, it looks like Top Tropicals may be your best bet.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2015, 07:33:35 AM »
I appreciate each of you sharing your insight/feedback. The tree had no zill tag, just a hand written name tag. To my knowledge it was the only mango tree for sale at the event, which is predominantly ornamental (though not exclusively). Grafted mango trees sold locally average $50 and this was in line with that.

It maybe a CC.  It is not a zill tree; zill uses "T-bud" grafting; your tree is cleft grafted.  CC is a teaser mango... teases you with amazing taste, then gives little fruit production.  The CC branches are unique; they will twist and turn (not grow straight) like most mango trees.  Hence the references of sprawling or "bag of snakes."
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2015, 07:42:18 AM »
I appreciate each of you sharing your insight/feedback. The tree had no zill tag, just a hand written name tag. To my knowledge it was the only mango tree for sale at the event, which is predominantly ornamental (though not exclusively). Grafted mango trees sold locally average $50 and this was in line with that.

It maybe a CC.  It is not a zill tree; zill uses "T-bud" grafting; your tree is cleft grafted.  CC is a teaser mango... teases you with amazing taste, then gives little fruit production.  The CC branches are unique; they will twist and turn (not grow straight) like most mango trees.  Hence the references of sprawling or "bag of snakes."

He never said it was a ZHPP propagated tree.  As to your repeated senseless comments about production,  yes, 3 year old trees are not productive but the more mature trees are.  I dont have any clue as to why you feel the need to make judgmenton such young trees.  Oh wait, i do know, cause you have no idea what you are talking about.  You pplanted 3 gallon trees and expected immediate heavy production.   ::)
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:07 AM »

He never said it was a ZHPP propagated tree.  As to your repeated senseless comments about production,  yes, 3 year old trees are not productive but the more mature trees are.  I dont have any clue as to why you feel the need to make judgmenton such young trees.  Oh wait, i do know, cause you have no idea what you are talking about.  You pplanted 3 gallon trees and expected immediate heavy production.   ::)

A picture is worth a thousand words...

...obviously not a CC...

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
Mr. clean should have all of his mangoes top worked into Duncan, Pickering, Florigon, and Tommy Atkins. That way we don't have to listen to him complain about productivity.

...obviously not a CC...

JC

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2015, 03:07:11 PM »

...obviously not a CC...

That looks like a pickering. Those will fruit heavily within the first two years of being planted.  Some mango trees are more precocious than others. (Not taking sides. Just repeating what I've learned from the experts here in this forum).  I just planted a pickering a few weeks ago. Looking forward to tasting some pickering mangoes next year. :)
Alexi

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »
CC is a teaser mango... teases you with amazing taste, then gives little fruit production.

With this production problem...I am glad I never planted it. Coconut taste in a mango was not something I cared about one way or another. I'll eat a coconut for that. Coconuts are common here. Getting good peaches is a problem here so if a mango has some peach flavor, as in the peach cobbler variety of mango, then I am interested.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:45:19 PM by zands »

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2015, 03:57:37 PM »
CC is a teaser mango... teases you with amazing taste, then gives little fruit production.

With this production problem...I am glad I never planted it. Coconut taste in a mango was not something I cared about one way or another. I'll eat a coconut for that. Coconuts are common here. Getting good peaches is a problem here so if a mango has some peach flavor, as in the peach cobbler variety of mango, then I am interested.

CC is productive just not precocious as some other varieties.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2015, 04:25:02 PM »
Zands, Have you ever tasted a CC? 

JC

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »
Mr. clean should have all of his mangoes top worked into Duncan, Pickering, Florigon, and Tommy Atkins. That way we don't have to listen to him complain about productivity.

With all of the personal insults that moderators allow, the "sense of community" died on this forum long ago.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:59:07 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
How is that an insult?  It would solve all your problems, and we wouldn't have to hear your dumbass complaints about productivity of trees that are nowhere near mature.

If you want insults I'm very capable of that too...  😈

With all of the personal insults that moderators allow, the "sense of community" is died on this forum long ago.
JC

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »
Who remembers Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?  Remember Veruca throwing a tantrum singing, "I Want It Now"?  Go back to that scene, now vision Mr. Clean stomping the ground in front of his two year old mango trees.

I don't know about you, but it makes me giggle. 😝

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRTkCHE1sS4

How is that an insult?  It would solve all your problems, and we wouldn't have to hear your dumbass complaints about productivity of trees that are nowhere near mature.

If you want insults I'm very capable of that too...  😈

With all of the personal insults that moderators allow, the "sense of community" is died on this forum long ago.
JC

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »

CC is productive just not precocious as some other varieties.

Thank you and well said.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2015, 06:19:45 PM »

With all of the personal insults that moderators allow, the "sense of community" died on this forum long ago.

Nobody is forcing you to read or post on this site.   All you do is complain and show a lack of knowledge and a lack of willingness to learn.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »
While it may be fun to rib mr clean about his mango trees (:-), I can see how he would take offense, and I think the last thing any of us wants is to offend a fellow member here. So, let's be careful our posts are upbeat and not taken in an unintended way.

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2015, 01:12:09 AM »
While it may be fun to rib mr clean about his mango trees (:-), I can see how he would take offense, and I think the last thing any of us wants is to offend a fellow member here. So, let's be careful our posts are upbeat and not taken in an unintended way.

Very well said Cookie Monster. Me and many other people from around the world here for a learning experience. This forum is probably the single greatest resource available on the internet right now and the information we contribute to it now will be a reference for many years to come. Half of this entire page is a pointless back and forth. Can we please get a mod in here to remove all these unrelated insulting posts. It's really not fair to everybody else that has to sort through all these pointless insults to find useful information.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk