Author Topic: PPK won't fruit  (Read 13057 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Re: PPK won't fruit
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »
Who else has a PPK lemon meringue that won't fruit...yes in the past I gave it nitrogen but only potassium this year.   This tree is gonna have a short life expectancy if it doesn't do something.  Just like the Baileys Marvel before it in the same hole.

Rusty

Squam is credible on mangos.  Your tree has a good root structure; you might figure out how to veneer graft onto the tree to preserve the root structure an hopefully get fruit quicker than planting a new tree.  This would give you the best of both worlds...give the tree a little more time and try to include a new variety at the same time.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 03:31:39 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts.   I'm going to select "option A"  Do nothing.  its the easiest and yes, its still a young tree.  maybe 4 years in the ground.  There is a pond there but all my other mangos dont mind.  It doesnt stay soggy or anything.  Getting an LZ may be redundant.    Would like to aquire the vaunted Spirit of 76 or even spirit of 77, whatever it takes.  I wonder how they perform?  Rusty

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
Also 'Valcarrie'. 

I don't know the parentage of 'Dwarf Hawaiian', but it tastes as though it is from 'Julie.'
Har

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 05:25:27 PM »
Would like to aquire the vaunted Spirit of 76 or even spirit of 77, whatever it takes.  I wonder how they perform?  Rusty

Medium producer of outstandingly flavored fruit, and pretty too.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »
Bumped into this thread. Any updates this year on those with PPK? I guess I got lucky with my first year in the ground, put in ground from a 25 gallon, holding 22 fruit palm sized fruit.  But now wondering the future. Thank god I planted 5 other varieties LOL

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »
Palm sized fruit already is a good sign. While you can't do anything about the tree spontanrously aborting the fruitlets, I'd protect the tree from as much wind as possible.

Yikes!
Is Valcarrie prone to be a much later in life bearer like PPK, and Okrung?

Also 'Valcarrie'. 

I don't know the parentage of 'Dwarf Hawaiian', but it tastes as though it is from 'Julie.'
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »
Bumped into this thread. Any updates this year on those with PPK? I guess I got lucky with my first year in the ground, put in ground from a 25 gallon, holding 22 fruit palm sized fruit.  But now wondering the future. Thank god I planted 5 other varieties LOL

I don't recall what your tree looks like but 25 gallon sized trees typically have at least a good couple years on the 3 gal sized stuff most people are planting; a tree that age should start bearing regularly sooner.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 12:22:59 PM »
Planted an 8' tall, 15 gal PPK three years ago. Light bloom after its first winter, harvested 6 fruit in 2013.
No bloom whatsoever in 2014, obviously no fruit.
Light bloom 2015, currently holding about 10 fruit. Tree just put on a massive growth flush and is about 11 ft tall.

My most disappointing tree so far.
JC

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »
Interesting, not sure how many will hold to maturity, but only about 6 feet tall, trunk about 2 inches. Nursery I got it from is small local guy, has a nice PPK in his backyard, last year when I bought it, his was loaded with fruit.  Oh well, will not expect much from it and anything will be a welcome surprise. My others are better producers supposedly so should hopefully atleast have on mango tree produce a year I hope.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 12:44:10 PM »
My PPK is in ground probably for about 15-17 years.  The tree has never fruited heavily.  Some years there is a medium crop, others a very light crop.  The tree is not particularly vigorous.  My biggest complaint, aside from light bearing, is that this fruit is singularly the  favorite fruit of the squirrels in my yard. Getting to enjoy any of the fruit is a battle...... but, a perfectly ripened PPK is a top notch mango for sure.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »
I will be happy with a light to medium crop yearly. When I tasted it before buying, I was sold hook line and sinker.  Was at that time the best mango I have ever eaten. Still is, but many more to try LOL  Hopefully my Coconut Cream gamble tree will give it a run for its money in flavor and prodcution

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »
Thats odd since Pine Island gave it a 4 on production.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
Maybe on their soil it is a 4........on muck at my house I would give it a 2-3 overall.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »

My PPK, five years old and planted as a 3 gallon, is loaded this year. It fruited for the first time in 2012 but this is the first year that it has fruited heavily. My friend and I planted our PPKs the same day; he has got 100+ mangoes the last two years. He uses 8-3-9 twice during the summer and also gives the tree two bags of Black Kow. That is what I did last year and I am really pleased with the results.

The size of the fruit is small, compared to many other varieties, but the taste is outstanding.   

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »
Yah, the thing to keep in mind is that there are tons of variables that can influence production. It's not that uncommon to have a tree in your yard that produces poorly, while the same tree 2 blocks away is a yearly workhorse.

It could be something as subtle as proximity to a body of water (which promotes fungal infection), a spot of soil that has better properties than another, a lucky rootstock that favors a particular cultivar, etc. Sometimes the reasoning is not obvious, and you'll spend the rest of your life scratching your head. I've been doing this for about a decade, and it still seems more magic than science.

So, I've learned to eschew common advice in favor of trying things on my own :-). You would probably do well to take the same approach: try it for a few years, and if it doesn't work then try something else.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »
And, I should point out that the Blind Island Nursery cultivar viewer is riddled with inaccuracies. Don't rely on it as a source of cultivar information.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2015, 09:45:34 PM »
And, I should point out that the Blind Island Nursery cultivar viewer is riddled with inaccuracies. Don't rely on it as a source of cultivar information.

+1000000000000000000

Stay away from their other "viewers" also...piss poor info
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
Great............ as a new fruit tree hobbyist, guess where I got most of my original information. Looked legit to me. Lucky I found this site and have been able to correspond with several members. Funny thing is the members I correspond with seem to be close to on the same page, at least on the same chapter LOL

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »

From my perspective, I find their viewers generally helpful....especially for the novice.  It is difficult for anyone to put together this type of information  where the information is 100% accurate for all growing conditions, locations and soil types. I have used their viewers before and have found them to be mostly helpful.  Perfect?  No....but what is perfect.  Please find me the publication that has 100% accurate information in with with no errors and no information that is only valid or correct under certain growing conditions or circumstances.  I haven't found such a thing yet. I am still looking and will be most pleased to be directed to same.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 12:51:01 PM »

From my perspective, I find their viewers generally helpful....especially for the novice.  It is difficult for anyone to put together this type of information  where the information is 100% accurate for all growing conditions, locations and soil types. I have used their viewers before and have found them to be mostly helpful.  Perfect?  No....but what is perfect.  Please find me the publication that has 100% accurate information in with with no errors and no information that is only valid or correct under certain growing conditions or circumstances.  I haven't found such a thing yet. I am still looking and will be most pleased to be directed to same.

But many are very wrong, to the point they could have and should have corrected them by now.  To me, nothing more than a marketing ploy...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2015, 07:38:18 PM »
There are times when one wonders if no information is better than inaccurate and/or biased information. The pictures and ripening season information are certainly helpful. And yes, it's not limited to PIN. Even IFAS publications contain myriad errors. I think the fundamental problem is that fruit trees don't react uniformly -- even though they are 'cloned!' So, information based on one or two specimens may be completely irrelevant for a large percentage of plantings.

But Harry, you're sort of an edge case. You have so much stinkin' land that you can afford to make mistakes when planting trees. Even if 50% of your planting decisions turn out to be bad (ie, based on poor information), the other 50% is still enough to feed 1/2 of the town of Davie.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 10:04:40 AM »
Or as you said elsewhere, Jeff. It's still way more of an art than a science.

That shouldn't  stop us from seeking (or offering) advice.
Just need to remember that fruit trees, like life, are complicated.  ::)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »
But Harry, you're sort of an edge case. You have so much stinkin' land that you can afford to make mistakes when planting trees. Even if 50% of your planting decisions turn out to be bad (ie, based on poor information), the other 50% is still enough to feed 1/2 of the town of Davie.

LOL....I have been called a lot of things over the years, but this is the first time I have been referred to as an "edge case." I kinda like the sound of it.

Regarding my poor information caused planting decisions, I have had a few, for sure.  But I would have probably sued someone if the percentage of such decisions amounted to anything close to 50%.  No matter your planting space, no one wants bad info when they are trying to make educated planting decisions.  I just thought you and Rob were just a bit over exuberant in your comments and description of the beloved PIN viewers.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
HAHAHA well, if I were to plot a graph of the lot sizes of my acquaintances, yours would be somewhere off the page unless it was on a logarithmic scale :-).

OK Point taken. We just have to warn the newbies that the information there may not be accurate. I think the vets already know to try their luck vs taking someone else's word -- eg, Carlos and his pinkerton.

LOL....I have been called a lot of things over the years, but this is the first time I have been referred to as an "edge case." I kinda like the sound of it.

Regarding my poor information caused planting decisions, I have had a few, for sure.  But I would have probably sued someone if the percentage of such decisions amounted to anything close to 50%.  No matter your planting space, no one wants bad info when they are trying to make educated planting decisions.  I just thought you and Rob were just a bit over exuberant in your comments and description of the beloved PIN viewers.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »
This thread has presented good info to know on the production traits of PPK.  On the one hand it makes me appreciate them even more (as the #2 mango on my top 10 list - a tough list to get on.).   On th either hand, my own efforts to grow it can be framed accordingly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk