Author Topic: Durian/mangosteen harvest upcoming  (Read 1780 times)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Durian/mangosteen harvest upcoming
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:41:51 PM »
We’ve got flowering and fruit set on the king and queen of fruits in epic proportions right now.  The harvest could start in late July but I am expecting August, especially, to have large quantities of these and other fruits.  It’s not Asia but it’s close for fruit people from North America to get their fill of these and other freshly harvested, high quality, ecuatorial tropical fruits.
There are other farms in this area and other parts of CR that will have a good fruit season this year.  To top it off there are several very good tree to bar chocolate producers to be found.
I’ll be giving further updates as the season approaches and hope to share fruit with more forum members this year.
Peter

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Durian/mangosteen harvest upcoming
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 12:09:45 PM »
Sounds great!  Thank you.
John

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
Awesome stuff

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »
We’ve got flowering and fruit set on the king and queen of fruits in epic proportions right now.  The harvest could start in late July but I am expecting August, especially, to have large quantities of these and other fruits.  It’s not Asia but it’s close for fruit people from North America to get their fill of these and other freshly harvested, high quality, ecuatorial tropical fruits.
There are other farms in this area and other parts of CR that will have a good fruit season this year.  To top it off there are several very good tree to bar chocolate producers to be found.
I’ll be giving further updates as the season approaches and hope to share fruit with more forum members this year.
Peter

What durians do you grow?
Zone Pusher

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »
Right now we have 3 durian trees loading up for the upcoming season.  Two of the trees are a Thai selection brought to CR by Bill Whitman called Gradum thong. Our other durian is a 30 year old very good kampung we call 'Isla' named after our farm.
In the area are some other well seasoned seedlings that were planted in the eighties and, for the first time, some selections brought by Gary Zill are going to produce.  I think these include Mongthong and nukrachip.

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »
Thank you!
So mainly selections of D. zibethinus are the most common among growers in CR. Do you grow D. graveolens?
Zone Pusher

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »
Yes, we grow graveleons, and several other durio sp.  they’re coming along but none are in production on my farm.  I have graveleons in my nursery from a tree in production in CR.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »
Time to book a ticket...

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
Yes, we grow graveleons, and several other durio sp.  they’re coming along but none are in production on my farm.  I have graveleons in my nursery from a tree in production in CR.

That is great! Next time I am in CR, I will have to stop by!
Zone Pusher

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 09:48:54 PM »
So, I’ve just come in from walking around the farm.  We’ve been talking about durians but this season is going to have a lot of top tier fruits at the same relative time that would be very hard to find fresh and good quality in North America and Europe.
Early on, we’re talking early August, along with mangosteen and durian, will be a lot of Matisia, chupa chupa.  There’s going to be marang.  Baccaurea dulcis, then Langsat, champedek is flowering now.  We’ll have pulusan.  There’s some poshte coming along, rollinia is flowering now.  Great rambutan.  Cherapu!
There’s more, it’s exciting.
There’s another farm with a good fruit collection on the beach, Punta Mona.  The owner, Stephen Brooks, tells me he will be planning some fruit consuming events at the same time.
Peter

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:06:34 PM »
So, I’ve just come in from walking around the farm.  We’ve been talking about durians but this season is going to have a lot of top tier fruits at the same relative time that would be very hard to find fresh and good quality in North America and Europe.
Early on, we’re talking early August, along with mangosteen and durian, will be a lot of Matisia, chupa chupa.  There’s going to be marang.  Baccaurea dulcis, then Langsat, champedek is flowering now.  We’ll have pulusan.  There’s some poshte coming along, rollinia is flowering now.  Great rambutan.  Cherapu!
There’s more, it’s exciting.
There’s another farm with a good fruit collection on the beach, Punta Mona.  The owner, Stephen Brooks, tells me he will be planning some fruit consuming events at the same time.
Peter

Sounds like a fruit heaven! Exciting!
Zone Pusher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk