Author Topic: What does pawpaw taste like?  (Read 21250 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: What does pawpaw taste like?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »
Clay
Don't get too hyped up. Pawpaw are hard to grow in you semi desert climate. We have  a few member in the OC CRFG chapter that have been growing it for years. Eunice Messner is one of the trees I've seen in Anaheim Hills and it always looks crappy she's had it over 10 years and it has flower half of dozen times and never fruited. Stick with cherimoya I know you had a rough season but I promise you they'll be better one.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 01:01:47 PM »
Clay
Don't get too hyped up. Pawpaw are hard to grow in you semi desert climate. We have  a few member in the OC CRFG chapter that have been growing it for years. Eunice Messner is one of the trees I've seen in Anaheim Hills and it always looks crappy she's had it over 10 years and it has flower half of dozen times and never fruited. Stick with cherimoya I know you had a rough season but I promise you they'll be better one.

JF

I want to get give it a shot, i think this may also grow much better in Temecula considering we get about 300-500 chill hours. i think if any desert climate could do it,it would be mine, as these trees are native to the midwest with similar growing conditions I think???

Also it mentions on several Paw Paw sites that you need differnet trees for them to cross pollinate...The trees look amazing too! I still have plenty of Cherimoyas that survived, Big Sister, El Bumpo, Pierce, Chaffey, and Lucida which is more than enough for now and more can always be grafted later.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »
Clay

Does Eunice have 2 trees? Since I heard not all pawpaws are able to set fruit by themselves. There was a person over in Santa Monica which was able to fruit 2 pawpaw trees successfully multiple years. Here is a reference forum post here; http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1623592/potted-paw-paw-plant-nursery .

Coastal Socal Pawpaw sounds like it would be worth the effort. The Santa Monica grower had Davis and Sunflower (I believe). I think Mango and Collin's may be other lower chill good selections. Also think A. reticulata rootstock may work, Har did some crosses with A. reticulata.

"5.  Interspecific Hybrids:  from PPF and Mr. Har Mahdeem -  seedlings from the following crosses  i. Asimina triloba x A. reticulata (55 seedlings); ii. Asimina triloba x A. obovata (3 seedlings);  and iii. Asimina triloba x A. parviflora (20 seedlings)." http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/kysurepository.htm

I would love to try some fruit form the A. triloba x A. reticulata crosses. I just purchased a Wabash, for the FL home. All this Pawpaw talk I could not hold back anymore... lol. I am going to get a Mango to cross pollinate with it.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »
Nullz,

let me know how your paw paws perform in FL.

I'm planting Gainesville 1 & 2, and Collins...they are supposed to fruit relatively well in zone 9a.

I got the last few from just fruits and exotics, out of Crawfordville, FL.

that nursery is one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:52:31 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »
Nullz,

let me know how your paw paws perform in FL.

I'm planting Gainsville 1 & 2, and Collins...they are supposed to fruit relatively well in zone 9a.

I got the last few from just fruits and exotics, out of Crawfordville, FL.

that nursery is one of my favorites.

Just fruits is definitely one of the best nurseries in Fl. I have never got a bad tree from them. If you want to trade some budwood in the future I have 5 different varieties now. Good luck with yours.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »
ok, I'm adding that for next time too then..  ;D

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
Clay

Does Eunice have 2 trees? Since I heard not all pawpaws are able to set fruit by themselves. There was a person over in Santa Monica which was able to fruit 2 pawpaw trees successfully multiple years. Here is a reference forum post here; http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1623592/potted-paw-paw-plant-nursery .

Coastal Socal Pawpaw sounds like it would be worth the effort. The Santa Monica grower had Davis and Sunflower (I believe). I think Mango and Collin's may be other lower chill good selections. Also think A. reticulata rootstock may work, Har did some crosses with A. reticulata.

"5.  Interspecific Hybrids:  from PPF and Mr. Har Mahdeem -  seedlings from the following crosses  i. Asimina triloba x A. reticulata (55 seedlings); ii. Asimina triloba x A. obovata (3 seedlings);  and iii. Asimina triloba x A. parviflora (20 seedlings)." http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/kysurepository.htm

I would love to try some fruit form the A. triloba x A. reticulata crosses. I just purchased a Wabash, for the FL home. All this Pawpaw talk I could not hold back anymore... lol. I am going to get a Mango to cross pollinate with it.

Your in deep now!
Life is good

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »
I believe I made major error on posting and assuming asimina crossed with Annona reticulata. Its only a cross to Asimina reticulata, since the first part of the name was abbreviated it tricked me. So hope of an Annona reticulata cross is probably not possible. :( I would go back and edit my posts, now that I reread everything and realized it was talking about Asimina reticulata.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »
Yes there is/was a person in Santa Monica, very close to the ocean, fruiting paw paw. That was Margaret Frane. (I believe she was one of the officers in West LA group of CRFG.) She wrote me this letter several years ago. There were photos attached of trees with lots of fruits. I can post the photos later if people want?
BTW, i think Ed Self, forum member in Texas, also grows paw paws?

From Margaret Frane:
Hi Oscar
I grow several paw paws.  However the two that I get fruit from are the Davis (definitely the best tasting) and the Sunflower (the most prolific.)  Both varieties are Asimina triloba.   I've tasted northern paw paws and admit they are better than mine.  However, the Davis is quite good and I enjoy both varieties.  I got both from a friend (who was moving) in 2002, when they were probably around 5 years old.  Then it took another 2 years for them to establish and begin to fruit.  I'll try to get hold of the friend and ask her where she originally got the paw paws (Betsy Young - she's elderly and doesn't have email).  The ones I ordered from Burnt Ridge Nursery have not done terribly well.

The Davis needs the Sunflower for pollination.  The Sunflower is touted to be self-pollinating but I can't really say as I've always had both.  If I hand pollinated, I would probably get more fruit.  However, I don't and I seem to do fine.  Next year I may try to hand pollinate the Davis and see if I can get more production from the tree.

I attached some pictures.  My other varieties are quite young (obtained at about 4 inches tall in 2008).They are slow growers and are still under 2 feet tall with no sign of fruit yet; some died.  On the other hand, 2 year old cuttings from the Sunflower are already fruiting and about three feet tall!

I don't know if Hawaii would let you bring them in, but I'd be happy to try to make cutting of the Davis and Sunflower for you.  The cuttings can be tricky but I've succeeded in the past.

I live in Santa Monica about 2 1/2 miles from the water.  We get, at most, 100 hours of chill.  The varieties not doing so well are Overleese, SusquHene, Taytwo, and Wells.

By the way, I am now growing cherries too - real ones!!  Dave Wilson Nursery has a Minnie Royal and Royal Lee that can rival the Bing in taste.  If you prefer, they also have a Royal Rainier.  I have all three and they produce well.  The Minnie Royal and Royal Lee pollinate each other;  I'm not sure what pollinates the Royal Rainier, as it comes in later!

Margaret/Marjane

Oscar

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »
Glad to see someone as excited as I was when I learned about pawpaw's tropical relatives. "An annonaceae growing in the woods all over the place!?!?" I didn't call myself Triloba Tracker for nuthin!

Hidden Springs Nursery near me in Cookeville, TN also sells grafted pawpaws.

I have tasted named varieties from the Kentucky State Univ research plantation and they were really good. Ice cream made with pawpaw is amazing.
I have tasted several wild pawpaws and they can be a little hit or miss (of course). As Jay mentioned, the smell of a ripe pawpaw is really really good.
The taste is similar to cherimoya for sure, with almost some jackfruit "tropical" edge. I have had several that to me taste bubble-gummy (a good thing).
Definitely soft and custardy but NOT like durian...as Adam said, durian has a lot of fat and is way creamier/smoother.

As Har said - they must be kept shaded for approximately 2 years or until about 18-24 inches tall. Then Kentucky State recommends planting in full sun for best production. They are an attractive tree for sure.
I have 5 seedlings going that I hope I can keep alive. I fantasize about having some land someday and planting several. I still go out in the woods looking for them when I can. I finally found some in the city park last November.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 05:43:34 PM »
The Paw Paw appears to  the Hidden Gem of the U.S. The more I research on it, the more I'm amazed by the lack of awareness across the board.

general arguments are the common ones....not commercial varieties...3 day shelf life, not appealing to the customer, etc.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
Seems like the Fruit Gods payed me solid by killing my Sabor and Delciousa to make several make room for these Paw Paws, not happy about my Fino De jete biting the bullet.    *Might trade Big Sister or Lucida for a  Fino De Jete tree.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »
The Paw Paw appears to  the Hidden Gem of the U.S. The more I research on it, the more I'm amazed by the lack of awareness across the board.

general arguments are the common ones....not commercial varieties...3 day shelf life, not appealing to the customer, etc.

Agree - the weird thing is that a couple generations ago, it was better known. My grandparents ate them off wild trees.
As Jay mentioned though, it is a trendy fruit right now in some ways, just not truly mainstream.

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
oh, you lost 3 cherimoya trees already because of the cold temps here in CA?  :o

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »
oh, you lost 3 cherimoya trees already because of the cold temps here in CA?  :o

Yeah...terrible planning on my part...They were small 1-2 year grafts that just weren't mature enough to withstand the 26 degree lows we go.....Meanwhile my 30 gallon Pierce just defoliated and lost a few thin branches....I will protect everything much better this year until things are matured to survive winter with mild Tip Pruning.

Again...Really don't think a person needs a  ton of Cherimoya trees unless you have the land....The complexity between the varities isn't much with a El Bumpo and Pierce definately sitting on the Throne in terms of Flavor! I'll just graft everything from here on out and add to the current Trees....I still want another Fino de Jete as it is the number 1 Cherimoya in Spain.

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
well, you live and learn  ;D now you know what to do better next year.. good luck next year  ;D ... I wrote that in the other post too responding to bsbullie's post.. Yeah, my moya family trees (I think I posted here already what I had, but if not, here it is again... 2 cherimoyas (honeyhart + other grafts, one unknown from a friend - he gave to me in a cup), 1  Sarteneja custard apple , 1 sugar apple, 1 atemoya (Lindstrom atemoya with Fino de Jete and Campas), 1 rollinia, and 1 sugar apple.. anyways, a few of them had dark branches too and dropped most leaves (but which tree doesn't?, right?), but now all of them are growing small leaves, so it should be no problem..so far so good for me.. so basically, I know the lowest temp it can go to at least.. well, we did have a colder one than usual this year I think.. so hopefully it can withstand much better next year.. also, I learned that if a plant can at least survive one winter for me, then it won't die so easily later on..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:34:59 PM by michsu »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »
well, you live and learn  ;D now you know what to do better next year.. good luck next year  ;D ... I wrote that in the other post too responding to bsbullie's post.. Yeah, my moya family trees (I think I posted here already what I had, but if not, here it is again... 2 cherimoyas (honeyhart + other grafts, one unknown from a friend - he gave to me in a cup), 1  Sarteneja custard apple , 1 sugar apple, 1 atemoya (Lindstrom atemoya with Fino de Jete and Campas), 1 rollinia, and 1 sugar apple.. anyways, a few of them had dark branches too and dropped most leaves (but which tree doesn't?, right?), but now all of them are growing small leaves, so it should be no problem..so far so good for me.. so basically, I know the lowest temp it can go to at least.. well, we did have a colder one than usual this year I think.. so hopefully it can withstand much better next year.. also, I learned that if a plant can at least survive one winter for me, then it won't die so easily later on..

Yeah I've learned this Winter that Frost cloth combined with C9 lights offers perfect protection at 26 degrees...So that seems to be the direction for protection in my Yard....And at 26 degrees my Cherimoyas won't need anything unless they have fruit attached...My Carrie tree died with a decent size trunk too for 7 gal tree with jsut  a frost cloth....meanwhile all Mangos including my Sweet Tart with flower panicles went unscathed with the frost cloth and C9 light combo...

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »
OT to cherimoyas for a bit. I've had fino de jete for 4 years and no fruit came from it. It flowers early before most everything else and doesn't get pollinated. Various sources mentions it has an early and short season. I don't know what to do with it. The Spanish must keep it around for a good reason.

Lindstrom is another disappointment. I've had it for about 4 years. It's an atemoya so I expect it to be somewhat less flavorful than a cherimoya. But I think it's not particularly memorable among the atemoyas. I'm biased against atemoyas in general just because cherimoya tastes better and grows better here. I still have that and the Minh, Geffner, and African Pride.

Clay you should keep the Lucida. It has good flavor and texture if it ends up doing well for you there.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 11:33:01 PM »
Pawpaws can easily hold their own with cherimoyas if not surpass in some types. Pawpaws are well worth the effort to grow after tasting them, the better tasting pawpaws wipe atemoyas off the map. (currently that is, until i taste an atemoya that changes my veiw) I had never understood what cherimoya growers were referring to when they mentioned complexity in flavor, at that time my tongue had only lashed atemoyas, reticulatas, globifloras, ilamas, guanabana, rollinia, and soncoyas. After trying certain fruits in the woods I understood. Since then I have had several different types of cherimoyas and found them very good and complex but in a different way. I am going to sound like one of the mango snobs here but they have to be ripened properly. Also, I did taste a yellow skinned reticulata at F&S Park that was excellent and reminded of some of the pawpaws that I had tried.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:32:39 AM by Bob407 »
Life is good

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 12:31:34 AM »
... I am going to sound like one of the mango snobs here but they have to be ripened properly. Also, I did taste a yellow skinned reticulata at F&S Park that was excellent and reminded of some of the pawpaws that I had tried.

No, Bob, you didn't sound like those mango snobs here. You have just convinced me to try to grow Pawpaw ASAP here in So Cal. Thank you!
PS: my wife will hate you!
Thera

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 12:33:34 AM »
Thera, I don't mind taking one for the team!
Life is good

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:11 AM »
Clay - the wild paw paw grows at my moms assisted living place in Annapolis Maryland.  I saw it last year
in October when i went to visit her.  A clump of about 5 of them, defoliated cuz it was fall.  I talked to a lady
that took pics of them when they had fruit on them, but she never took a bite!  Anyway, I'm not sure it's such
a great tasting thing, but maybe one of us will find out!

Gary

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 12:53:11 AM »
Thera, I don't mind taking one for the team!

Bob's got annonacin and sawdust in his veins!

his first attempt at grafting was a success!  and from that day forward he's been an annona grafting and collecting machine!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:11 AM »
You should ask Mosley, but remember never get a prickly pear stuck in your paw paw!
Joe

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 07:13:45 AM »
Well Peterson has his own line of patented Paw Paws which are held in high regard....then you also  multiple varieties that are placed in the Ohio Pap Paw festival which also are their  for competition...not sure if Perterson Paw Paws have competed there...I still need a  top tier variety none the less that is suitible for my climate.