Author Topic: 36-8 Mango  (Read 4201 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
36-8 Mango
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »
Does anyone have info on the lineage of 36-8 mango? Brad just sampled a fruit and it was one of the favorites he’s tried so far. He liked it better than Orange Sherbet, E4, J12 and Creme Brûlée. I wasn’t able to sample the 36-8 because of work but Brad described it as sweet with notes of coconut and some Indian resin with just enough acidity to balance out the sugars.

Any info about this variety is greatly appreciated.

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: 36-8 Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
It’s a Zill-80 seedling and tastes like Zill-80.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:11:02 PM »
From my notes its a Zill 80 seedling.  I have not tried it this year but in past years was not a favorite of mine.   It is sweet and does have a note of Indian resin.  I have never noticed any coconut flavor.

There have been some past posts if you try searxhing the number and possi ly search "indira".

In my opinion, E4 and Creme Brulee is much better.  OS is OS...
- Rob

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:50:34 PM »
The coconut flavor was pretty pronounced.  My wife also immediately said coconut.  Also a mild indian flavor in the background and some sweet/tartness.   Seed is very large mono.

Im no mango expert but this was one of the better ones I've tried. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:05:15 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 08:48:08 PM »
The coconut flavor was pretty pronounced.  My wife also immediately said coconut.  Also a mild indian flavor in the background and some sweet/tartness.   Seed is very large mono.

This post is 100% spot on! & To be quite honest it blew the OS out of the water for a well rounded mango- (complex taste, shelf life, & size). Tried the OS a little over ripe in all fairness but even still 36-8 seems like it’ll be more desirable in certain aspects.. I think it’s a keeper, anyone know how resistant it is to diseases?
Sergio

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 08:53:30 PM »

This post is 100% spot on! & To be quite honest it blew the OS out of the water for a well rounded mango- (complex taste, shelf life, & size). Tried the OS a little over ripe in all fairness but even still 36-8 seems like it’ll be more desirable in certain aspects.. I think it’s a keeper, anyone know how resistant it is to diseases?

Zill 80 is parent, which is from Kent...probably not good.  What I have seen in past years was a short shelf life and dirty fruit.  Not sure how it would stand up in ciastal areas but I have my doubts...

Again , its not released so the anticipation of planting one should be shelved for now.
- Rob

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »

Zill 80 is parent, which is from Kent...probably not good.  What I have seen in past years was a short shelf life and dirty fruit.  Not sure how it would stand up in ciastal areas but I have my doubts...

Again , its not released so the anticipation of planting one should be shelved for now.

Thank You. I’m not even thinking about it since it’s not released.. if anything I’ll pick up a Coconut Cream & eat with another resinous mango like Kathy next season (worst come to worst haha). I did like the resinous flavor on this & Fruit Cocktail with 36-8 being my choice out of the samples I tried
Sergio

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »

Thank You. I’m not even thinking about it since it’s not released.. if anything I’ll pick up a Coconut Cream & eat with another resinous mango like Kathy next season (worst come to worst haha). I did like the resinous flavor on this & Fruit Cocktail with 36-8 being my choice out of the samples I tried

I personally liked Fruit Cocktail very much.  Better than Fruit Punch.
- Rob

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »
36-8 had a very mellow rose component to me. I’ve been told that’s the Indian resin component and I enjoyed it very much

Fruit cocktail tasted like a mellow medley of flavors. Also enjoyable... the first one around when it was green. I had another after it turned yellow. At that point the medley of flavors was a mere hint and the mango otherwise tasted like cheese. I couldn’t finish a bite and my kids took one bite and spit it out. I kept the seed because I remembered how good the first one was...

E4 was great. Sweet and clean, cooonutty. Kept its flavor throughout multiple stages of ripeness.

Creme brûlée was more sweet and seemed to just be sweet. Enjoyable still. Never tried a cotton candy but it seemed to me like candy mango.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 07:39:10 AM »
36-8 had a very mellow rose component to me. I’ve been told that’s the Indian resin component and I enjoyed it very much

Fruit cocktail tasted like a mellow medley of flavors. Also enjoyable... the first one around when it was green. I had another after it turned yellow. At that point the medley of flavors was a mere hint and the mango otherwise tasted like cheese. I couldn’t finish a bite and my kids took one bite and spit it out. I kept the seed because I remembered how good the first one was...

E4 was great. Sweet and clean, cooonutty. Kept its flavor throughout multiple stages of ripeness.

Creme brûlée was more sweet and seemed to just be sweet. Enjoyable still. Never tried a cotton candy but it seemed to me like candy mango.

If you never tasted it,  how can you comment on its taste?
- Rob

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »
Quote from: CA Hockey

That's funniest thing I've read on forum this year!  :D

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »
I think he is saying he never had cotton candy.  But did eat a cotton candy mango.
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »
I'm not impress with this variety at all . It's going to be hard to beat E4 and cream brulee this year.....maybe senorita will do it.   

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »
I thought E4 was excellent with high sugar content and great acidity to balance out the sugars but I did not detect much coconut. The coconut tones were muted like that of Piña Colada. The smell was there but I was not thinking it was super coconutty. It is still a great Mango.

The Creme Brûlée we sampled was in bad shape so I don’t want to make any comparisons.

I wish I was able to sample the 36-8. The way Spaugh(Brad) described it is similar to how I described the Rajapuri Mango from India and it was fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for helping with the lineage. Zill-80 is a mango I’ve never tried.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
I thought E4 was excellent with high sugar content and great acidity to balance out the sugars but I did not detect much coconut. The coconut tones were muted like that of Piña Colada. The smell was there but I was not thinking it was super coconutty. It is still a great Mango.

The Creme Brûlée we sampled was in bad shape so I don’t want to make any comparisons.

I wish I was able to sample the 36-8. The way Spaugh(Brad) described it is similar to how I described the Rajapuri Mango from India and it was fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for helping with the lineage. Zill-80 is a mango I’ve never tried.

Simon

E4 and creme brûlée have coconut notes. 38-6 and 28-18 have been disappointing and I dont consider them top tiers.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
Frank, you need to have perfect 38-6 that is not overripe or fermented to judge.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
Frank, you need to have perfect 38-6 that is not overripe or fermented to judge.

Behl, I’ve had it perfect and to me it’s not In The same class as sunrise, j12, kesar,  Chaunsa, rumani and other good Indian type mangos

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 05:26:50 PM »
The main reason that I know of, at least back in 2015, for not releasing 36-8, was that we usually did not pick it at the right time, and we KNEW that.  We could not figure out what the readiness signs were.  Both Gary Zill and I have color-perception issues, so that may have been part of the problem.  When professional mango pickers have that much of an issue with a variety, the chances of its being a winner in residential areas is pretty low.  It may eventually be a good plantation mango, if some instrumentation for picking-maturity determination can be developed.
Har

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 05:53:02 PM »
The main reason that I know of, at least back in 2015, for not releasing 36-8, was that we usually did not pick it at the right time, and we KNEW that.  We could not figure out what the readiness signs were.  Both Gary Zill and I have color-perception issues, so that may have been part of the problem.  When professional mango pickers have that much of an issue with a variety, the chances of its being a winner in residential areas is pretty low.  It may eventually be a good plantation mango, if some instrumentation for picking-maturity determination can be developed.

I agree, some are exceptional and some were meh!  same thing goes for peach cobbler, hard to predict when to pick and it goes down very quick!

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 09:03:35 PM »
I dug through a bucket of overripe 36-8 today to find one that was not as far gone. The one I got was ready to eat, and maybe slightly overripe, but I enjoyed it. My wife sampled it and asked if it was fruit punch. I thought it was closer to fruit punch than anything else I could think of but still different. I would eat the fruit again, but in fairness, I'll eat almost any mango I'm presented with.

John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 12:52:58 AM »
Can anyone confirm if 36-8 is Polyembryonic or Monoembryonic? A good friend said the seed was poly and we can’t tell from the seed that Brad got.

Simon

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 01:02:17 AM »
Ha! You guys got me 😀. I meant to say that it seems like the name implies the mango tastes like mango candy but I’ve never tried one and have to leave it to my imagination.

Quote from: CA Hockey

That's funniest thing I've read on forum this year!  :D

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »
Both Gary Zill and I have color-perception issues, so that may have been part of the problem.
Me, too. I often use ladies with excellent color vision to 'spot' for me. One in twelve men (8%) have some degree of color deficiency, perhaps 1/2 are not aware of it. 

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
another observation. 36-8 out out a poly seed. is it a poly OR can a mono mango put out poly seed? I had it in a sandwich bag and it got fungus all over, upon splitting it I saw 3 roots emerging but seed was not viable anymore. has anyone else looked into it?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
Can anyone confirm if 36-8 is Polyembryonic or Monoembryonic? A good friend said the seed was poly and we can’t tell from the seed that Brad got.

Simon

I have one seed. From memory, poly.