Author Topic: Heading to Myanmar (Burma) - any "must try" fruit?  (Read 4209 times)

mushroombob

• Logan, Utah, USA
    • View Profile
Heading to Myanmar (Burma) - any "must try" fruit?
« on: February 14, 2017, 11:52:18 PM »
I'll be in Myanmar for work for about a week or so and I am looking for some recommendations for interesting fruit to try.

I lived in Thailand for a couple of years, so in general I am familiar with fruit in southeast asia, but its been a while since I've been there and I am excited to see what has changed and if there is anything new to try.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to Myanmar (Burma) - any "must try" fruit?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 03:26:14 AM »
Good luck to you. Hope you find something interesting. I"ll be going myself with the wife next month. Will have an APHIS permit just in case!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 03:31:51 AM »
Didn't find anything in Myanmar that you can't find in Thailand. In fact Thailand has a lot more selection and quantity of fruits. But Myanmar has many beautiful places to visit, so still worthwhile.
Oscar

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 04:10:59 AM »
Didn't find anything in Myanmar that you can't find in Thailand. In fact Thailand has a lot more selection and quantity of fruits. But Myanmar has many beautiful places to visit, so still worthwhile.

oscar, what's your hunch on the 'jungle fruit' you'd find in the markets outside of the cities?  i imagine especially places where it is still restricted, there may be some interesting stuff to share back home?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 04:42:40 AM »

oscar, what's your hunch on the 'jungle fruit' you'd find in the markets outside of the cities?  i imagine especially places where it is still restricted, there may be some interesting stuff to share back home?
Lots of interesting mango cultivars. Other than that it's pretty slim picking. Oh yes, you can bring back lots of Toddy palm seeds (Borassus flabellifer), but they are large and heavy and percent of germination is quite low.
Oscar

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 05:31:48 AM »
I recommend watching the latest Rambo movie, which is Stallone's tourism video on Burma. Does work allow you to bring a bow/arrows or a .50 cal machine gun with you?

andrewtog

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tropicalorganicgarden.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 05:38:55 AM »
starfruit ??

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »
Mangrove Apple maybe
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
They are large portions of the country that are off limits to foreigners.  Unless you are planning to break the law, which I highly highly recommend not doing, who knows what is out there.   Great people, my favorite place in SE Asia.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 02:27:20 PM »
They are large portions of the country that are off limits to foreigners.  Unless you are planning to break the law, which I highly highly recommend not doing, who knows what is out there.   Great people, my favorite place in SE Asia.

those areas seem the most interesting, but you're right.  not going to get in. 

oh well. 

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 04:29:50 AM »
Hmm, let's see here. How about durian, durian and more durian. I think I covered all bases  :).

By the way received an email from Air Asia. Flights to Honolulu starts in June. It would be cheaper to visit SE Asia than going to mainland US.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »

By the way received an email from Air Asia. Flights to Honolulu starts in June. It would be cheaper to visit SE Asia than going to mainland US.

I see on their website $188 one way???  I gotta check this out.  I tried to book air to Maui one time for a meeting & it was more than that (& you can see Maui from the big island).  Thanks for mentioning this, Rytis.  Sorry to hijack the thread ... ;)
------------------------------------------
Just looked into it further.  Looks like the outrageously low price is in one direction only (near as I can figure) & they make it up a bit on the return leg.  Still, good pricing though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:45:27 PM by HIfarm »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »

I see on their website $188 one way???  I gotta check this out.  I tried to book air to Maui one time for a meeting & it was more than that (& you can see Maui from the big island).  Thanks for mentioning this, Rytis.  Sorry to hijack the thread ... ;)
Just looked into it further.  Looks like the outrageously low price is in one direction only (near as I can figure) & they make it up a bit on the return leg.  Still, good pricing though.
You can fly to Japan OW for $99! But then first meal you have there will cost you more than that. HAHA Kuala Lampur is $149, again it is OW. And travel dates are very restricted. This might be some kind of gimmick? If anyone uses these flights please report back.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 02:07:01 AM »
I just remembered that Myanmar entry customs requires proof of ticket out of their country, so would be ill advised to travel there with only a one way ticket. Even if you manage to squeeze through it's kind of difficult to purchase tickets there, unless you happen to speak their language?
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 08:08:15 AM »
I didn't have much English problems there, and I got stuck there when the Bangkok airport shutdown for 2 weeks.  Got a bit touch and go when I nearly ran out of money.  What you bring in is what have for the whole trip, no ATMs, unless things have changed.  Bring more money then you plan on spending for this reason.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
I didn't have much English problems there, and I got stuck there when the Bangkok airport shutdown for 2 weeks.  Got a bit touch and go when I nearly ran out of money.  What you bring in is what have for the whole trip, no ATMs, unless things have changed.  Bring more money then you plan on spending for this reason.
Once you are out of big tourist hotels you won't find many people that speak english.
Main problem is not lack of ATM's, but crazy thing that they will only take brand new dollar bills. Any little crease and they won't take them. But i went when they just opened to tourism, so maybe things have improved by now?
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07:27 PM »
I definitely wasn't in the big tourist hotels, English isn't widespread (it was a Brit colony), but I don't remember it being an issue, not like China.
You get the best exchange rate on the $100 bill.  And you are absolutely right on the imperfect bills.  The irony is that their bills look terrible.  I would also recommend taking the latest version of the bill.
The banks wouldn't take any of my cards, and no ATMs.  Relations have improved, so I don't know if things have changed.
I was there in 09. if memory serves. 

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 01:37:04 AM »

You can fly to Japan OW for $99! But then first meal you have there will cost you more than that. HAHA Kuala Lampur is $149, again it is OW. And travel dates are very restricted. This might be some kind of gimmick? If anyone uses these flights please report back.

I booked tickets to Osaka for July. Found the system was pretty buffet style. Pick your seat, extra money. One checked bag, extra money. All said and done, 4 tickets, upgraded seats, HNL<->Osaka, with 4 bags both ways, roundtrip was 1500 total.  I won't be able to report back on quality until July though.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 03:19:18 AM »
I flew Air Asia from Bangkok to Yangon and back. They were pretty OK for a budget airline. Their accident/incident history is not too shaby, with only a couple of runway overruns.
Oscar

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 04:16:40 AM »
my last trip on Air Asia was from Bali to Singapore.  The guy next to me on the plane was a guy from Netherlands who had to keep fanning his feet.  Ugh.  Plus several days in the Bali sun and no showering only to be compensated with extra cologne.  Ughx1000

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk