Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528741 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #300 on: February 28, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »
You never heard of it?  Probably with good reason.  I may have partially mis-spoke......or mis-stated what I was trying to communicate. 
Black sooty mold is, for sure,  a by product of pests.  In my yard it seems some trees have a perennial problem with it.  So is it that the pests like that tree more than others and so there is more sooty mold on the selected trees?  I imagine most of my trees have the same issues with pests due to their close proximity.  Yet, many do not seem to have an issue with black sooty mold.  So how would I better say what I have observed?  Lemon Zest seems highly susceptible to the insects that bring about black sooty mold?   Is that better? Bottom line, for newly planted trees, there is a wicked case of black sooty mold on both of my Lemon Zest trees, while there is none on many other trees contemporaneously planted.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 28, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »

Dan, how often are you spraying the Dot mango tree...I was reading the directions for mango trees on the Plant Doctor and it says:

"Spray tree every 14 days
during blossom period, then
monthly until harvest."

Wasn't sure...but, it sounds a little excessive and didn't want to apply it that often? Afraid of the long term affects. Any thoughts?

I have sprayed it on the Dot every two weeks, more or less.  I've been assuming that it's harmless, at least compared to some of the popular/effective fungicides from the olden days. The limited Googling I've done on Plant Doctor and another brand with the same stuff in it has not turned up any negative long-term effects.  (But then I thought copper was utterly benign until I read otherwise on the forum.)

But the small fruit on Dot are quite speckled, so I started with copper recently on the whole tree, which has some new blossoms.  As I said, the weather has dampened my enthusiasm for non-systemic fungicides.

I only started with the Plant Doctor last year, so don't have an overall sense of how effective it is.  However, it does at least seem that the Plant Doctor got rid of powdery mildew on Rosigold both last year and this year.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 28, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
Some trees do seem to be more highly favored by scale, lemon zest being one. I think it has to do with a couple of factors: 0) how 'sweet' the sap is and 1) how slowly the tree grows. I theorize that scale likes sweet sap and slow growing trees. Amount of sunlight also influences severity of scale problem (but the underlying cause could potentially be slow growth due to lack of sunlight). My glenn only gets sooty mold only on the north side every winter.

That said, I've seen lemon zest trees with and without sooty mold issues -- probably a factor of how established and therefore how fast it grows.

However, they seem to be fairly resistant to anthracnose. I'll see if I can take some snaps of my LZ flowers and fruit.

I have a cute little 1gallon LZ that's starting to flower at about 18 inches tall :-)

You never heard of it?  Probably with good reason.  I may have partially mis-spoke......or mis-stated what I was trying to communicate. 
Black sooty mold is, for sure,  a by product of pests.  In my yard it seems some trees have a perennial problem with it.  So is it that the pests like that tree more than others and so there is more sooty mold on the selected trees?  I imagine most of my trees have the same issues with pests due to their close proximity.  Yet, many do not seem to have an issue with black sooty mold.  So how would I better say what I have observed?  Lemon Zest seems highly susceptible to the insects that bring about black sooty mold?   Is that better? Bottom line, for newly planted trees, there is a wicked case of black sooty mold on both of my Lemon Zest trees, while there is none on many other trees contemporaneously planted.
Jeff  :-)

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
it rains every single time I apply copper

Tell me about it......

Maybe change it up and spray the copper after it rains  :)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2013, 11:06:40 PM »
Dang!  I guess I should have read the label.....  ;D

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »
Thanks Dan!! Good luck with your Dot  :)

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »
Harry is right, as it does look like a multiple deficiency, presumably including of Iron and Potassium, and possibly Nitrogen, Sulfur, Magnesium, Zinc, Manganese....

Thanks Harry and Har!  Yeah, so I do foliar spray chelated iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, as well as dynagro foliage pro once every week, alternating.  I also give it epsom salt when I water the roots along with dynamite all purpose fert.  The soil is just what came with it from the nursery.  I have not repotted it yet.  Now I did add some bonemeal last year, but I think I added too much of it.  Perhaps there is nutrient lockout?

Thanks!

Herman

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 02, 2013, 09:49:46 PM »
If you are really going to spray this often, the dosage should be very light.  Sometimes you could just use seaweed extract/kelp, in your alternating program.  This would guarantee the various trace elements.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 03, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
elp! What the hack is this? Is this just a super severe iron deficiency? Younger leaves are most affected.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:51:28 PM by Cookie Monster »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 03, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »
Not an Iron deficiency.

I don't know what it is.  It is very strange to see healthy green at margins and paled out veins.

In Iron deficiency the veins are the last parts to lose their green.
Har

mario

• phoenix az Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 03, 2013, 10:33:31 PM »

What could this be?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »
elp! What the hack is this? Is this just a super severe iron deficiency? Younger leaves are most affected.

Anything on the underside?
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2013, 12:46:16 AM »

What could this be?
That could be iron deficiency.  What are you fertilizing with?  Looks like it could use a proper fert program, including a good minor element foliar spray. What is the composition of the soil it is in?  It looks like its filled of a lot of rock...
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 04, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
Mario,

Zinc deficiency and Iron deficiency, and probably other deficiencies.  As BSBullie recommends, give it good mixed granular fertilizer plus foliar nutritional spray.

Also do a soil drench with Sequestrene 138 or with Ferrilene.  Use several light doses, a week or two apart, as one can easily cause damage with too much iron.
Har

mario

• phoenix az Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 04, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
Ok will do that. I purchased the tree like this from hd. Its on a clay type doil,ofcourse i amended the soil

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 04, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
Thanks for your input, Har. That's what's confusing me too. This year in particular I've been seeing several trees in my neighborhood with that problem. It's also photo-affected; the shaded out portions of the leaf get it less. This morning, Dr Campbell said that he thinks it could be severe iron deficiency. I'm going to go ahead and try an iron drench.

Not an Iron deficiency.

I don't know what it is.  It is very strange to see healthy green at margins and paled out veins.

In Iron deficiency the veins are the last parts to lose their green.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »
My little Angie definitely needs some micronutrients. Do you think its safe to give it a spritz?  I was thinking of mixing a 1/2 strength batch of chelated micros in a spray bottle.  Yea, nay?

JC

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #317 on: March 05, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
Yea!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

DuncanYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 05, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »
Yea, and a pinch of osmocote will help as well.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 05, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »
If it were me, I'd just give it an osmocote equivalent with minors. Iron doesn't absorb very well through the leaves, so you're better off putting it in the soil (via osmocote). Wouldn't hurt anything to spray though.

Looks like a pine island graft.

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 05, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »
Ok cool. I've never used osmocote. I have had some good success with chelated foliars though.  I'll have to look for osmocote w micros.

No idea whose label is on the tree, but I got it a couple of weeks ago from Mike Bender. Coincidently, Mike now works for PIN.  ???
JC

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 05, 2013, 09:44:27 PM »
I think Home Cheapo and Lows both carry Dynamite timed release with minors.

Ok cool. I've never used osmocote. I have had some good success with chelated foliars though.  I'll have to look for osmocote w micros.

No idea whose label is on the tree, but I got it a couple of weeks ago from Mike Bender. Coincidently, Mike now works for PIN.  ???

jc

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 05, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »
Thank you fine Sir.

Love the new avatar. Priceless!!!

JC

DuncanYoung

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
Bonide Iron Drench, has all your minors, applied as a soil drench, along with osmocote granules should perk it right up.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 06, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
HAHAHAHA Thanks :-)

Thank you fine Sir.

Love the new avatar. Priceless!!!