Author Topic: Soursop and breadfruit protection  (Read 11508 times)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop and breadfruit protection
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »
Add a heat source.
Ya good luck, not fun.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
My soursop is a young potted one. It defoliated at about 45 when I first got it. I'm afraid to even put the thing in the garage because temps can get that low.  It is a house plant in the winter from now on.  One of the most ultra-tropical I have.  Looking good so far this year, getting AM sun only.

They are pretty hardy about the same as rollina in my area. The cold hardiest Annona I grow is ilama followed by sugar Apple, atemoya, cherimoya and custard apple

How is Ilama and sugar apple more cold hearty than Cherimoya?
My Rollinia went through high 30's unprotected without defoliating. I can't see how Soursop would even still be alive. My mountain soursop seedlings are not even happy but the Rollinias have new growth .
Is it not true that many more people are fruiting Rollinia in SoCal than Soursop? I thought you had the primo soursop tree in SoCal.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 04:41:56 PM »
best of luck, hate the cold.

I don't think I need to but I took my soursop into the house tonight. Good luck to you all
Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 05:36:38 PM »
https://www.skyfieldtropical.com/encyclopedia/images/id,77/
Soursop growing happily in a marginal zone, facing north (exposed to winter cold). Freezes will defoliate it, but warm weather brings vigorous new growth.

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
Well, looks like everything made it. I tarped everything and put quilts on top of that. It got down to 37 at my house and inside the tarp it was 57. The heaters did the job!!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
https://www.skyfieldtropical.com/encyclopedia/images/id,77/
Soursop growing happily in a marginal zone, facing north (exposed to winter cold). Freezes will defoliate it, but warm weather brings vigorous new growth.

Zands, same thing happens here but went it warms up it start to push. How long before it fruits in the ground?

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 12:07:10 PM »
Mine is about the same size as Zands. This is the first time it has blooms. It has lost about 20% of it leaves from nights in the 40s, but when it starts warming up, it put out a flush of new growth. I have been feeding mine with miracle grow for flowers. It promotes blooms.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »
My soursop is a young potted one. It defoliated at about 45 when I first got it. I'm afraid to even put the thing in the garage because temps can get that low.  It is a house plant in the winter from now on.  One of the most ultra-tropical I have.  Looking good so far this year, getting AM sun only.

They are pretty hardy about the same as rollina in my area. The cold hardiest Annona I grow is ilama followed by sugar Apple, atemoya, cherimoya and custard apple

My Rollinia went through high 30's unprotected without defoliating. I can't see how Soursop would even still be alive. My mountain soursop seedlings are not even happy but the Rollinias have new growth .
Is it not true that many more people are fruiting Rollinia in SoCal than Soursop? I thought you had the primo soursop tree in SoCal.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »
Awesome your trees made it Carlincool. I hope they fruit for you soon. It reached mid 30s here but no frost and definitely no freeze thankfully.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »

I grow all 5 annonas, in ground, in 2 different location in my area and get the same results. Rollina are super hard to grow in an arid climate . They do better in 10B coastal areas like chula vista. How are sugar Apple and ilamas more cold hardy than cherimoya. I have not notice much leave burns on those annonas and they have never defoliated. You can clearly see that cherimoyas stress once the temps drop below 40F. They don't defoliate but some leaves turn black. Behl has talked about how low temps affect the fruits. I have never heard or seen a fruiting soursop in socal but several poster have pix of fruiting rollinas. Here is a pic of Cangrejo's sugar sugar which I have try all through the winter months

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:10:13 PM by JF »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 09:45:52 PM »
My car is in the shop so I have been getting a ride to work...and it's crazy what you see when you're not driving.  I saw a house the other day with some clearly visible fruit trees, and as I scanned the property from left to right, I thought to myself: this person is from the islands....then, BAM!  There was a huge breadfruit tree, at least by FL standards.  It appears to be 15-20 ft tall and 10-15 ft wide!  Seems to be in the ground, and no protection was noticeable.  I haven't been able to investigate further, but as soon as my car is ready again, I will attempt to stop and talk with the grower to find out their secret.  The house is on a main drag (4 lanes of traffic) so maybe it is somehow protected from the cold...BUT we just had upper 30s like 2 months ago!!  ???
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »
Going around my yard and what do I find? A breadfruit on 1 of my trees. It's about the size of a softball now.
This past winter we had a couple of days down in the mid 40s. I used no protection. Spring came and boom a flush of new growth. After years of no luck, finally fruit. Its now about 15-18 ft tall and doing very well.
Same with my soursop. It lost a crapload of leave and now has blooms all over it.
I dropped my phone and the screen cracked so no pics until its fixed.
Who said you can't fruit one in Sw Florida?  Lol

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
There's one fruiting at Fruitscapes. Also a couple 20+ ft trees I know of in Naples
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:31:51 AM by dwfl »

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 01:37:05 AM »
I find this to be an odd discussion. Are we saying that breadfruit and soursop are in the same league of cold hardiness? I grow both and I find that I notice immediate leaf damage on breadfruit in the low 50's, conversely, I have a soursop in a pot on my porch for 2 years and it didn't lose a leaf last winter or even winter before. Unprotected. I will say, that I have a 7' soursop in the ground and it was doing great buy seems to have hit a snag...not sure what happened yet but it is growing again. Thanks. Chris
-Chris