Author Topic: Fruitscapes "Super Hass" avocado anybody growing it in Florida 9b?  (Read 14404 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Fruitscapes "Super Hass" avocado anybody growing it in Florida 9b?
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 09:57:53 PM »
Anyone here try the super Hass and also a nishikawa? I bought a super Hass but it got root rot. It’s staring to grow back but if it didn’t make it I was going to get a nishikawa as the replacement.

Which one taste better? I like the creamy fatty avocados. Not the watery ones.
I found a Nishikawa and snagged it.  But, it was just a couple of weeks ago and it's still in the pot.  It's from Top Tropical, and I quarantine everything I get from them as much of their stuff has an infestation, and most of it isn't very healthy.  They get GREAT selections, but for some reason, most of it isn't very healthy.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 11:00:30 PM »
We’re growing Super Hass (“Oolala”) and Nishikawa. Both are excellent but I haven’t tasted them next to each other to compare. Our Nishikawa has no fruit this year but Supwr Hass has some after taking last year off.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 10:45:01 AM »
We’re growing Super Hass (“Oolala”) and Nishikawa. Both are excellent but I haven’t tasted them next to each other to compare. Our Nishikawa has no fruit this year but Supwr Hass has some after taking last year off.

Do you not have any Nishikawa this year because it is too young to support fruit or did it bear fruit last year but not this year?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »

Do you not have any Nishikawa this year because it is too young to support fruit or did it bear fruit last year but not this year?

Had some fruit last year but none this year. It’s not a big tree and has grown slowly.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »

Had some fruit last year but none this year. It’s not a big tree and has grown slowly.

hmm, since that would be my only avocado tree I might stick with the super hass then. thank you for the info!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 09:12:43 PM »
Cookie Monster getting excited!

I moved to FL from socal 13+ years ago -- with literally miles of haas avocado groves within walking distance from my house (right next to the Calavo packing house). Still have not adapted to the horrible west indian avocadoes that are grown here. Over the years, I've found a couple that I can down without retching (usually the ones with giant seeds and thin flesh -- which seems to concentrate the flavor a little).
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 10:04:53 AM »
Enjoyed a delicious Super Hass from our tree this morning. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and regular Hass:

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
Enjoyed a delicious Super Hass from our tree this morning. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between this and regular Hass:

Any pictures of the tree?

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 12:09:29 PM »
Just curious. Are the cultivars like brogdon or winter Mexican which appear to have some success in Central FL very much different in quality from Hass? They are definitely not watercados.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
I just snagged a FL Super Hass Saturday, nice, healthy specimen from Fruitscapes on Bokeelia.  What I didn't know is they have Nishikawa trees there also, I wish I had bought mine there.  Their stuff is so much better quality than Top Tropicals, and much cheaper.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
I just snagged a FL Super Hass Saturday, nice, healthy specimen from Fruitscapes on Bokeelia.  What I didn't know is they have Nishikawa trees there also, I wish I had bought mine there.  Their stuff is so much better quality than Top Tropicals, and much cheaper.

And more likely to be properly Labelled as well.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 02:54:01 PM »

And more likely to be properly Labelled as well.

Exactly!
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

Kiko

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2023, 04:05:17 PM »
I’m in Parrish Florida.
Have super hass that is about 4 years with over 100 fruit, I keep it at about 7’x6’ the trunk is about 5”to 6” in diameter it when thru the hurricane last year of 2022 and our winter and is very well. The prior year due to the hard freeze we had it had 25 avocados.

Dlive85

• Valrico, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2023, 02:24:17 PM »
I've had a super haas in the ground about 2 years now that was purchased as a 15 gal. The freeze a couple years ago burnt some of the tips and the main stalk at the top. It's rebounded nicely and is holding around 40 fruit now. Should I expect them to turn black on the tree or is that something that happens during the ripening process? I'm just east of Tampa if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance

Dlive85

• Valrico, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2023, 02:30:44 PM »

Kiko

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2023, 08:39:31 AM »
I usually picked them in November when they star to turn black, I haven't had any issues with ripening. They taste better than the regular store hass. Harvesting is just around the corner.