Author Topic: Wanted: Lecythis zabucajo seeds?  (Read 3068 times)

Ji

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
Wanted: Lecythis zabucajo seeds?
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »
Who has Lecythis zabucajo seeds?  :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:44:36 PM by murahilin »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Wanted: Lecythis zabucajo seeds?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
Usually fruit in summer: June-September. I have a waiting list for this one, so suggest ordering now if you really want them to get on the waiting list.
BTW, this is a top notch nut. Also trees have beautiful blue flowers. Also flowers are very fragrant and carpet the ground. Also the giant pods are very long lasting and can be used as containers or pots.
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 06:43:05 PM »
Usually fruit in summer: June-September. I have a waiting list for this one, so suggest ordering now if you really want them to get on the waiting list.
BTW, this is a top notch nut. Also trees have beautiful blue flowers. Also flowers are very fragrant and carpet the ground. Also the giant pods are very long lasting and can be used as containers or pots.

How big does the tree get?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »

How big does the tree get?

Here 40-50 feet tall and about 30 feet wide. Not for postage stamp yards.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »
Oscar, this is often referred to as the best nut in the world and it obviously grows here -- any idea why there are no commercial plantations of it?  I know things like fruit bats and monkeys cause problems elsewhere but we don't have those.   We do have feral pigs but those present problems for macs as well if not fenced.

John

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »
There is a beautiful Lecythis ollaria tree in Tenom with dozens of those Smurf-house fruit shells lying on the ground, indicating that there should be more than a hundred seeds in, on and under the leaves that thickly carpet the ground under the tree... but they are very very difficult to find.  I wonder if it is just as difficult to find L. zabucajo seeds.  I think if they were grown commercially, you would have to regularly rake the dead leaf mulch away to have any hope of finding the nuts.  I had the same problem with the Lecythis species growing in Dominica.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
Oscar, this is often referred to as the best nut in the world and it obviously grows here -- any idea why there are no commercial plantations of it?  I know things like fruit bats and monkeys cause problems elsewhere but we don't have those.   We do have feral pigs but those present problems for macs as well if not fenced.

John

Maybe for same reason that there are almost no commercial plantatations of anything else? We live in a place totally dependent on external food sources. Another reason, this tree probably takes at least 10 years to start producing and most farmers want to plant fast cash crops.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk