Author Topic: Dream Atemoya, a variety that fruits in FL ! Introduced by Wayne Clifton  (Read 116492 times)

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
He responded to this thread, send him a PM. Not sure what he has available this year
but the tree I got from him 2 years ago is setting fruit all over the place. I have never
eaten this and can't wait.

Come on man, you can't say something like that and not post at least one picture of this fruit set.  ;) .  Congrats on the Dream fruit set man, it is one heck of a fruit!

I don't have much of anything for sale this year unfortunately due to some rootstock dying unexpectedly on me (damping off) and life/business mostly taking up all of my time otherwise. I'm getting seeds going now for rootstock for Spring 2019, and hope to have lots of annonas available then.

Because I called out achetadomestica on pics, I should probably share one myself. This Dream on cherimoya roots was stepped up from a 7gal to a 15gal pretty recently at the time this pic was taken. Right now it has two fruits set and developing, I'll post some pics tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Dom

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
So lots of flowers and no fruit set...took advice and didnt hand pollinate.
always longing for a JA Julie

HobeSoundTropical

• HOBE SOUND 10a
    • View Profile
I Want a tree if anyone has it for sale

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile

As long as your tree is big enough to hold fruit I'd absolutely start hand pollinating. For me my Dream from Wayne on Dream seedling roots hasn't done great with natural fruit set. That could partially be because I've got it a little crowded with other trees nearby, but a Gefner I've got in similarly crowded conditions definitely sets a higher percentage on its own. Even with varieties that set well on their own, hand pollination is still recommended because you will tend to get more complete pollination which means larger fruit.
Dom

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Here's the pictures of the dream I got from Dom.
I counted 14 fruits yesterday and still flowering

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Here's the pictures of the dream I got from Dom.
I counted 14 fruits yesterday and still flowering

That's one beautiful little tree!
John

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile

As long as your tree is big enough to hold fruit I'd absolutely start hand pollinating. For me my Dream from Wayne on Dream seedling roots hasn't done great with natural fruit set. That could partially be because I've got it a little crowded with other trees nearby, but a Gefner I've got in similarly crowded conditions definitely sets a higher percentage on its own. Even with varieties that set well on their own, hand pollination is still recommended because you will tend to get more complete pollination which means larger fruit.

Ok some more flowers are coming along, so will try...and yeah the tree is plenty big enough.
always longing for a JA Julie

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Acheta - that is a beautiful tree. I got a Dream from Dom last year. It is growing well. Can't wait till it looks like yours and starts to fruit.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Thanks Jackson and Johnb51.
Another amazing thing about this tree, it was flattened by Irma.
I can't wait to try the fruit!

ivan79

• Can we Say cachucha pepper.
    • USA,FL,Dade
    • View Profile
Hello All,,
Just had this yellow fruit in fruit and spice park, it does look like this dream cherimoya/
it must had been 3 to 4 LBS, the tree had no name. or can this be something else ?

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Hello All,,
Just had this yellow fruit in fruit and spice park, it does look like this dream cherimoya/
it must had been 3 to 4 LBS, the tree had no name. or can this be something else ?

That's Annona mucosa, formerly known as Rollinia deliciosa/Rollinia mucosa, AKA Biriba.
Dom

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
Thanks Jackson and Johnb51.
Another amazing thing about this tree, it was flattened by Irma.
I can't wait to try the fruit!

That is a great looking tree, nice work!
Dom

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Atemoya, a variety that fruits in FL ! Introduced by Wayne Clifton
« Reply #312 on: August 21, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
Hello fellow members...

I successfully grafted a dream _____ (fill in the blank with atemoya, chirimoya or whatever you see fit) onto a chirimoya rootstock last.... may I wanna say or some time around there...

It's grown quite a bit eventhough it is in a pot and the person who was supposed to take care of it nearly left it to die of thirst while I was taking a trip to the tropical coast of Spain in search for other tropicals to bring back home.

Anyway... I'm very happy with how much it has grown so far.... much less with it's shape and I really don't know how to prune it. It seems it doesn't want to grow in 3 dimensions but only 2, which makes it looks like a peacock's tail...

I'm afraid that any storm that comes by might totally uproot it or break it or twist it down to the trunk.

What do you guys suggest???

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:32:50 PM by Diospyros »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
After those branches go dormant, the next season's growth will be in the other two directions, from the sides of those branches.

You could have made it three-dimensional already this season by twisting the main trunk a little when it was tender.
Har

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 05, 2018, 06:50:33 PM »
TFF Members,

I followed this very interesting topic from its beginning and became excited to learn that the apparently very cold tolerant Chirimoya/Atemoya cultivar 'DREAM' was being produced by a gentleman in Bradenton.

I had been trying to decide on the best Atemoya for me in Zone 9b which might be a bit cold tolerant.

'Gefner' had seemed a good choice, but then I was alerted to this topic on TFF where the members were excited about 'DREAM' and that it was tolerating temps in the 20s!

So here is an update on 'DREAM's' availbility from WC in Bradenton, whom I contacted to ask about getting one.  The gentleman replied promptly but advised me that he is no longer producing 'DREAM'.

Alas, I seem to have come late to the banquet, as it were.

So . . . .  Does anyone here on TFF know of a source of 'DREAM' grafter onto Atemoya or Chirimoya?

I'm in Tampa so could come pick one up if it weren't too far, say Orlando or Bradenton/Sarasota of closer.

Please PM me if you have grafted plants or know someone who does.  I'd like somethng that's about 3gal size if possible.

ˇPuras Frutas!

Paul M.
Tampa –Zone 9b

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 05, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
Well, that is shocking!  Did he say why?
Har

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 05, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »
I was told Dream is the same as Arka Sahan Atemoya, is that correct?
El verde es vida!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 06, 2018, 08:19:06 AM »

There's been a heated debate on this topic and some believe yes and no. I planted a couple seeds
this year and was thinking if the dream is truly a cherimoya like some say then it should have
the same traits as the mother tree? I meant to plant 10 or more but I had allot of seeds going at
once and it didn't happen. If the dream is indeed an atemoya then the seedlings should be more variable?
I have read there are a few people raising them side by side and should have a definitive answer dwon the road

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 06, 2018, 08:37:21 AM »
TFF Members,

I followed this very interesting topic from its beginning and became excited to learn that the apparently very cold tolerant Chirimoya/Atemoya cultivar 'DREAM' was being produced by a gentleman in Bradenton.

I had been trying to decide on the best Atemoya for me in Zone 9b which might be a bit cold tolerant.

'Gefner' had seemed a good choice, but then I was alerted to this topic on TFF where the members were excited about 'DREAM' and that it was tolerating temps in the 20s!

So here is an update on 'DREAM's' availbility from WC in Bradenton, whom I contacted to ask about getting one.  The gentleman replied promptly but advised me that he is no longer producing 'DREAM'.

So . . . .  Does anyone here on TFF know of a source of 'DREAM' grafter onto Atemoya or Chirimoya?

I'm in Tampa so could come pick one up if it weren't too far, say Orlando or Bradenton/Sarasota of closer.

Please PM me if you have grafted plants or know someone who does.  I'd like somethng that's about 3gal size if possible.

ˇPuras Frutas!

Paul M.
Tampa –Zone 9b

The consensus is that the spring is the best time to graft Annonas. This is late in the year to find dreams, but
Fruitscapes in Pine Island might have them? I would suggest looking for seedling cherimoya/ sugar apples and
buy scions in the Spring and do your own? I had my first dream fruit this year and my second year of fruit from
the Lisa atemoya. What a huge difference in fruit quality. The Lisa atemoya was my favorite fruit I produced this year
in my whole yard. I can't wait to see if the quality changes on the dream next year? I have been told the grafted
atemoyas have a short live span of around 10-12 year which is another reason to graft your own. Also you could send
forum member Vermented from Sarasota a PM, he has mentioned having several types of Atemoyas and is ahead of
most of us in acquiring some of the newest atemoyas and may have dream available in the Spring? 

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #319 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »

I know Wayne Clifton very well. I have the Dream origin story corraborated by Wayne and one of my best friends that has been in the tropical fruit societies since the late 1980s.

Dr. Paul Beaver was active in the local Rare Fruit Councils before I started growing. I believe he lived in Tampa and owns/runs Amazon eco tours through this company. https://perujungle.com/

Dr. Beaver supplied some seeds from Peru that Wayne grew out and Wayne ended up grafting the most vigorous seedling to an established in ground Annona.

Here are some pics of my homegrown Dream fruit from this year. No grit, no weird hard areas around the seeds and A++++ flavor.

The fruit tend to be small to medium size here in Florida and it doesn't seem to crop heavily but I haven't seen a tree really heavily pruned, hand pollinated and ideally fertilized and watered either.

I love this fruit.

-Josh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #320 on: November 06, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
I don't have any grafted at the moment. My yard/nursery is going through some renovations and I was going to concentrate on grafting some rarer stuff. They are around though. Good luck!

TFF Members,

ˇPuras Frutas!

Paul M.
Tampa –Zone 9b

The consensus is that the spring is the best time to graft Annonas. This is late in the year to find dreams, but
Fruitscapes in Pine Island might have them? I would suggest looking for seedling cherimoya/ sugar apples and
buy scions in the Spring and do your own? I had my first dream fruit this year and my second year of fruit from
the Lisa atemoya. What a huge difference in fruit quality. The Lisa atemoya was my favorite fruit I produced this year
in my whole yard. I can't wait to see if the quality changes on the dream next year? I have been told the grafted
atemoyas have a short live span of around 10-12 year which is another reason to graft your own. Also you could send
forum member Vermented from Sarasota a PM, he has mentioned having several types of Atemoyas and is ahead of
most of us in acquiring some of the newest atemoyas and may have dream available in the Spring?
-Josh

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 06, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »
Fruitscapes had a bunch of them earlier this year...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #322 on: November 06, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »
Solid post Vernmented,

congrats on your fruit...

my trees died with hurricanes and freezes...

i sent scions to Hi and PR, and saw the fruits produced there, and they looked much larger (still medium, but medium large), they get golden shoulders, and have nice symmetrical shape.

everyone seems to love them.

btw
if you look at pics of both fruits, the Dream is smoother, all the Arkas I've seen have more prominent protuberances.

I know Wayne Clifton very well. I have the Dream origin story corraborated by Wayne and one of my best friends that has been in the tropical fruit societies since the late 1980s.

Dr. Paul Beaver was active in the local Rare Fruit Councils before I started growing. I believe he lived in Tampa and owns/runs Amazon eco tours through this company. https://perujungle.com/

Dr. Beaver supplied some seeds from Peru that Wayne grew out and Wayne ended up grafting the most vigorous seedling to an established in ground Annona.

Here are some pics of my homegrown Dream fruit from this year. No grit, no weird hard areas around the seeds and A++++ flavor.

The fruit tend to be small to medium size here in Florida and it doesn't seem to crop heavily but I haven't seen a tree really heavily pruned, hand pollinated and ideally fertilized and watered either.

I love this fruit.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 06, 2018, 09:07:41 PM »
There are large one in SoCal but I consider them medium size aremoyas

vincenton

• US, West Covina CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 06, 2018, 11:43:07 PM »
Frank,

What variety are those two fruits? Are they Dream atemoya? They look very tasty and great looking fruit to boot.

Vincent.