Author Topic: Opening Coconuts  (Read 5780 times)

englewoodhomegrown

• FL 9b
    • View Profile
Opening Coconuts
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:40:45 PM »
Does anyone have good methods or tool they use for opening coconuts? I'm mainly referring to dry coconuts as I like to eat the meat on the inside as well as drink the water. Removing the husk is always a slow that I usually use a machete for. Once thats off the only easy part is next, punch a hole and drain the water, then crack the shell in half. Removing the meat is the other big challenge. I've broken countless knives prying to get it out, plus it's just dangerous. Always worried I'm going to cut myself.

Anyways, who's got the quick tricks for removing husk, then removing the meat? Thanks!

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Coconuts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
This is the traditional way to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF6pAgoRtD8

I am cementing a rust-proof metal prybar into my yard for this purpose, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Remember to cover the stake with something thick so no one can accidentally impale themselves on it when not in use. A sharp-point stake to me is too dangerous, so I prefer the long prybar instead, because the end is not so sharp and easy to destroy your hand with if you move wrong.

The way he cuts the coconut meat out in the video with the knife is dangerous. It's totally unnecessary. This tool is great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OCS5ZU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Takes a little practice, but eventually gets easy, even for people with weak hands/wrists/arthritis-like issues.

Another great trick is to put the coconut halves in the fridge first overnight. After a day in there, they dehydrate a little so are much easier to pry from the shell whole, rather than in chunks.

Note that coconut water in a mature brown coconut has already gone bad. Coconut water for drinking should be derived from green coconuts - which are much easier to open fortunately. The coconut meat in a green coconut is also very healthy, and has all of the nutrients with almost none of the fat of the mature coconut. It's just gelatinous and a very different texture and taste. But very good once you get used to it.

If you haven't tried yet, try making your own coconut milk. It is quite a process, but will give you a real appreciation for how they manage to get that stuff in a can! Fresh is a lot better. But man, is it a lot of work... If you are the sort to have something like a masticating juicer, I suppose you could cheat, but I don't have anything like that so had to do it by hand. I'm glad I did it at least once, and may try it again this Winter as the mature coconuts are piling up around the yard from palms that I couldn't reach...

englewoodhomegrown

• FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »
Nice, I'll definitely have to get that tool. I didn't realize the water in a dry coconut was bad, I always drink it and it tastes ok. Sometimes it will be pretty rank and sour, but I don't drink those ones. I do prefer the higher fat content of the mature coconut though. Thanks for your tips!

englewoodhomegrown

• FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 09:27:34 PM »
How about one of these?
https://youtu.be/Nb6_NYJRtNw

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
How about one of these?
https://youtu.be/Nb6_NYJRtNw

Oh wow, I said some very excited curse words when I saw that machine! Do you know anything about it? Where would I get one in the States? I can't make one, but that would be sooooo sweet!! Looked super simple, and didn't have to be sunk in the ground either...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 10:34:43 PM »
You don't really need to dehusk the coconuts. Just whack it a few times with a machete. Then use that coconut meat removal tool from amazon to pull the meat out.

For good tasting coconut water, you must drink it before the coconut meat has hardened. Once the meat has hardened, the coconut water is bland.
Jeff  :-)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:49:53 PM »
You don't really need to dehusk the coconuts. Just whack it a few times with a machete. Then use that coconut meat removal tool from amazon to pull the meat out.

For good tasting coconut water, you must drink it before the coconut meat has hardened. Once the meat has hardened, the coconut water is bland.

For me I do, because I use the shells, and they must be intact, not broken - split evenly and nicely, totally cleaned. I prefer not to use power tools to do so - I like more primitive means. Plus, it's important to me to preserve the water inside.

I then rip up the coconut coir from the husk to use as mulch and seed sprouting medium.

If the shell and water did not matter, a good splitting ax does a great job with only one or two hits to get to the inside.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:54:07 PM by LivingParadise »

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 08:22:58 AM »

I use a lot of coconuts, especially to make milk. If you punch a couple of holes and drain the water, freeze the coconut and then partially defrost them, usually a whack or two with a machete will crack the hard shell open and the ball of meat will come out whole. If not, it will be very easy to pry the meat out.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
When I lived in the Caribbean I had one of these. You had to throw it in the sea for retrieval, then 'Spot' would tear them open! She enjoyed a small part as reward. Not trained, but exactly like this one I found.
You could probably train for it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhH0XXiN7lo
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:55:30 AM by pineislander »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »
Quote from: LivingParadise
If you haven't tried yet, try making your own coconut milk. It is quite a process, but will give you a real appreciation for how they manage to get that stuff in a can! Fresh is a lot better. But man, is it a lot of work... If you are the sort to have something like a masticating juicer, I suppose you could cheat, but I don't have anything like that so had to do it by hand. I'm glad I did it at least once, and may try it again this Winter as the mature coconuts are piling up around the yard from palms that I couldn't reach...

I like the use of a plastic bag here for separating the cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNfK0_swivE

After the cream is separated you can use it like that for anything other than frying, or do the last frying step to get clear oil.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
I have seen these at a local shop https://www.amazon.com/Aranyik-Portable-Manual-Coconut-Husker/dp/B0084WSEM2

Also met some guys recently that opened them with a sawzall and some long blades. That seemed the easiest way I have seen so far.

I find the stand splitter on craigslist every once in a while.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 02:30:46 PM »
This video on the fruits of coconut ingenuity makes me so happy - but definitely, people should be using a stick or something to guide the coconut, not risking their hands with some of these machines!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6HfkKf2eTI

Ideal tool to be designed would be cheap, durable, safe, not require electric, require minimal strength to operate, and require only one tool to de-husk, crack open, and de-meat the coconut in question... Bonus points for a feature to drain out the water first for use, and for a peeling feature in case you want to make coconut milk and thus can't leave the skin on it.

This would be an awesome design challenge for high school teams! 

I wonder what kinds of tools are in our future to solve the age-old question - how do I open a coconut?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 07:32:03 PM »
a peeling feature in case you want to make coconut milk and thus can't leave the skin on it.
You can leave the brown peel on when making coconut milk.

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 09:46:52 PM »
I do have some coconut palms and quite many dried coconuts in my garden. To dehusk the  coconuts  a local workshop made a similar dehusker as shown in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb6_NYJRtNw&feature=youtu.be.  He charged me the equivalent of   USD50$00  I then  open the coconut  with a hand machete by hitting in the middle. Then I scrape the meat by using a hand scraper or  an oval scraper  ** fixed on an electric motor or handrill.  Another method (after dehusking) is to burn the coconut on a stove . The heat dilates the shell and cracks the coconut. The  shell separates from the kernel. You scrape the outward  brown skin of the kernel/nut, cut the nut into pieces and put it in a blender to extract coconut milk.  The milk can be stored in your freezer and used later to make cakes, puddings and curries.!!!  Coconut milk can be a substitute  for people who are alergic to cows milk.
** I bought in a food store. Can send details if interested.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 12:17:17 AM »
Best all around tool for opening coconuts is a very sharp machete. Even better is a cane knife because it is heavier and stronger, and has a pointed hook on one end to pierce the nut. I agree with cookiemonster, most times you don't need to dehusk the coconut. Nuts are dehusked for commercial purposes because it makes the product lighter and easier to transport. You can remove water and soft meat from a green coconut by cutting a slice on one side, popping open with hook, and draining water out. Once the water is drained you can split the whole nut, husk and all, with your machete.
For dried coconuts you need to dehusk them to get the hard meat out. To be honest most people here are way too lazy to do that. Too much work, dehusking, scraping the meat out, and the squeezing through netting to get the milk. Most would rather buy a can of Thai coconut milk for a couple of bucks.
Oscar

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 02:46:14 PM »
Best all around tool for opening coconuts is a very sharp machete. Even better is a cane knife because it is heavier and stronger, and has a pointed hook on one end to pierce the nut.

For dried coconuts you need to dehusk them to get the hard meat out. To be honest most people here are way too lazy to do that. Too much work,

http://elitedaily.com/life/laugh-at-yourself-key-to-happiness/1186573/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/14/10-successful-people-who-_n_4262766.html

This is only a story (not recommended) of my Best all around tool since I already had it, it was my fastest tool, and it was free today as already paid for years ago except for about 1 cent for electricity.

3 coconut heads fell last night between midnight and this morning (it's a jungle out there). They were then delivered to me by my Zombe friend. I decided to see if we could easily open these heads using one of the many suggestions on you tube posted earlier. I have a 10 inch table saw with stand that is over 15 years old and has been rained on for the past 4 years and to my surprise I sprayed it with crc lubricant and turned it on to watch it spin easily. I then had my Zombe friend pick up a coconut needing husking or cutting and rotated it around the center slowly and then again a little deeper. Once I saw juice (the insides) escaping, I placed a saucer under the coconut head till all had drained. I then had the Zombe cut as deep as possible. The Zombe then took the coconut head and walked to the road and threw the coconut head down once and it broke open. This process took about 4 minutes.

I then used a butter knife to remove the meat from the smaller coconut head  section. The bigger half was too deep to easily remove the meat from the coconut head so the Zombe cut the larger half again with the saw. It now came out easy with the butter knife.

One of the boys usually uses a heavy Ontario Machete to cut through everything. However this requires much more work. Today I am for the easy thinking way to solve a problem vs. force when possible.

Many chainsaws are available on the property also, however they would be much more difficult to attempt the initial cut into the coconuts head with jumping around violently. Again not recommended for the living...

If the meat does not easily separate from the head and if you do not want to saw the coconut head husk-shell-meat again, simply refrigerate it and it will then separate easier with the butter knife than previously.

Primary benefit with this method. Very Fast.
Primary problem with this method: Sawdust and noise if not wearing ear muffs and work clothes. Possible death if bleeding is not stopped when sticking body parts into saw blade. Possible asphyxia death if not breathing for 6 minute time to complete removing coconut meat from coconut. Possible head trauma with increasing odds if head is just above 3 feet height of table (probably a miss if less than 3 feet tall and head touching under part of table and probably a second miss if over 4 to 5 feet tall to avoid head trauma but mileage bumps in road etc. odds may vary).
Google quote: Height of an average human head: Male: 9.4 in. Average coconut w/husk width = 12 inches....Thus   3 foot table top + 1 foot coconut height = 4ft...Odds are good to miss the head shot if attempting if greater than 4 ft tall... Be Careful keep looking and watching...Unexpected events occur...     

Live long & Prosper......   http://elitedaily.com/life/laugh-at-yourself-key-to-happiness/1186573/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/14/10-successful-people-who-_n_4262766.html

Examples of newer saw versions.  https://www.amazon.com/3410-02-10-Inch-Table-Folding-Stand/dp/B003HIWQZ4  Harbor Freight has a less expensive item etc.. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:25:22 PM by palmcity »

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »
http://elitedaily.com/life/laugh-at-yourself-key-to-happiness/1186573/   ...Live Long & Prosper...   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/14/10-successful-people-who-_n_4262766.html

(Not a recommended activity for the living)
That was so easy... I decided to go back outside and open another and will post pictures of the second cut and opened coconut.

Sorry, but the dead zombe's picture doing the hand on coconut positional cutting is not included.  ;)

The last released findings that I saw on elevated hdl cholesterol elevation with ingestion of coconut is a positive. I will eat a few more.    Increased hdl is beneficial (ldl on the other hand is desired to be low vs. high). If living, swipe some coconut from the zombe as he doesn't need it anyways. His total cholesterol count is almost non-existent.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:15:59 PM by palmcity »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
My neighbor used a 4x4 with one end pointed then blackened in a fire, then set it in the ground point up to split the husk. He learned it in the Bahamas, it works and nobody can get impaled on it onless they jump from a plane.

I remove the meat the way he did in the video. Husk green or dried I don't like coconut milk,  or the white meat unless it's sweetened in a package of a mounds bar :-)

Regards,

Gary

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 08:42:23 PM »
Here's an excellent comparison of two different methods for opening fresh coconuts (some strong language).
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
Here's an excellent comparison of two different methods for opening fresh coconuts (some strong language).

The second method is scary!!! Did you notice how many fingers left on his left hand?

Tabble saw as coconut tool? Way too dangerous with any table saw, let alone mixing up with coco hush fiber!! loose fingers or ended up with a whole coconut flying into your face.

I like the "duck beak" hush opener the best.

To get the meat from the hard shell: easily break the shell into smaller pieces,  2 inches or so, then spoon them out. This is much easier than working with the two deep halves.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2016, 08:16:54 PM »
A review:

Thanks to FDOF for the link to the Aranyik Husker. It was basically the same thing as the one in EHG's youtube video that got me so excited, but it's handheld, not a stand. I would have preferred the video model, but I can't get that. And I am a long way off from making a spike for my yard just yet. So I figured, since I use Amazon all the time, why not order the Aranyik and if I didn't like it, I'd just return it.

I will be keeping it. It is a little hard for me, since I am ill, but the prying part is super-easy. Drawbacks are that it's a little heavy, and you have to turn and spike the coconut several times. But I think with practice, I will get faster and better at it.

Normally, it takes me a full day to finish 1 coconut, and then I am exhausted and have to go to bed. I am not well, so it is a hell of a strain on me. As a result, I have a ton of coconuts lying around all the time, and I often have to throw them out before I can get to them while they're still good. It's a huge amount of waste. Today with the Aranyik Thai Dehusker I cleaned and cracked open 16 coconuts in only an hour, and I didn't get ill from the effort!! For me, that's major progress. I already spread all the coir around my plants, cleaned the shells, and saved the good water and dumped the rest in the plants. The coconuts that had old meat that did not readily pop from their shell halves are stacked in the fridge for slight dehydrating, so I can easily pop them out with the coconut meat pry tool I put the Amazon link to above. I like that tool a lot, which looks like a curved knife, because you can pop the meat out whole, or in complete halves, to use for decoration/plating or to serve drinks or desserts out of.

So now I will have 16 coconuts, a mixture of green and mature, and no waste at all. The fiber, the shells, the water, and the meat, all are being put to use. My neighbor was thrilled with the Husker when I had him over to demonstrate for him, and he will certainly be borrowing it - up to now he has use Sawzall, and has found it too much work. They too like to use the shells - as is common throughout the Keys, they use them for orchids. So preserving them  intact is important.

At some point, I may find a way to rig the tool on a stand because the original machine in the video by EHG would take a lot less energy for me giving my specific medical limitations (and I couldn't drop the heavy rebar on my sandaled foot the way I did one time today!), but for now, since the stand does not appear available for easy shipping, I am happy with this. Not everyone will find it worth it for $60. But I live in a situation where there are easily enough coconuts to pick one every day of the year for each adult who lives in this vicinity. AND, I have a major need for the mulching, seed growing, fertilizing, and other benefits that come with each easy opening, not to mention the many and varied uses for the shells. So I would have preferred the stand. But this manual one is sturdy, supposedly weatherproofed, and will get very heavy use for years.

Much appreciation for all the ideas and suggestions shared in this thread! I look forward to reading more!

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Aranyik-Portable-Manual-Coconut-Husker/dp/B0084WSEM2

Probably attaching 1/2 of the rebars to an existing 4x4 wood post. Ex. possibly someones closeline pole or swing set. If attached in a point up direction, I assume you would want it attached waist level to prevent reaching too low.  If you find this too close I would attach another short about 1 foot wood block to the existing wood swingset etc. to make the point sticking up be farther away from the main post to allow the coconut to hit the tip when pushing it on the tip.

You could probably have someone bend one of the two rebar levers to make it similar to the one posted previously---  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb6_NYJRtNw&feature=youtu.be.

1 handle added to concrete base various options. Perhaps easy solution would be 1 foot square pad with 4 inch pvc or sewer pipe sawed off to height desired. Fill 1 foot pad with wet cement then insert 4 inch pipe then fill pipe from top with concrete mixture and insert 1 rebar handle into top of pipe to setup and use next day. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:47:35 PM by palmcity »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk