Author Topic: Persimmon pot culture  (Read 2058 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Persimmon pot culture
« on: November 05, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »
Hi, does anybody have experience with persimmons growing in pots ? How is the fruiting compared to a in ground one, do they produce regularly and an amount of fruit that justifies the effort ? I have tree potted plants which have not fruited yet since are small , but i'm debating if I should plant them in the ground , or continue to raise them in pots. The thing is I do not know the varieties of them, so dont know their cold hardiness . The plants are grafted ,so must be some known varieties. In winter we almost surely have occasions where temps like 5F are present, and sometimes we get to -4 F / rare occasions . Now when they are potted I bring them in an unhited basement for winter.

So my question I as ; should I continue to raise them in pots, which is not a big problem for me if I get a worthwhile ammount of fruit, or should I plant them in the ground if they have a chance to not die back regularly from cold .
Thanks !

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmon pot culture
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 03:10:23 PM »
Persimmon isn't cold sensitive.  You should plant it in the ground if you can.  The internet says good to zone 4 or 5.
Brad Spaugh

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:19:39 AM »
Persimmon isn't cold sensitive.  You should plant it in the ground if you can.  The internet says good to zone 4 or 5.
thanks, so this winter they are in the basement again and in spring I will plant them in the ground, to have all sumer to settle into their new home and get ready for the winter.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 04:21:30 AM »

That may be so for the American persimmon Diospyros Virginiana. Asian persimmons Diospyros Kaki are zone 7 trees, or 6b with some varieties.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 08:37:56 AM »

That may be so for the American persimmon Diospyros Virginiana. Asian persimmons Diospyros Kaki are zone 7 trees, or 6b with some varieties.
I am zome 7 here, do not know a or b thought, dont remember by the map I had looked over. I haven't seen many persimmon trees in my region, thought I've seen big fig trees/ bushes and have one pomegranate that is growing in the ground with passive protection in winter, which I will not protect this winter. I know this maybe has nothing to do with persimmons , but if I'm not wrong these three species seem to grow best in the same climate/zone. Now people here just seem to not plant such trees ,so this may be the reason that I do not see them very often,and not the climate itself.
By the way I assume mine are kaki since are grafted , don't know the varieties of both the rootstocks and scions .

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 12:49:51 PM »
Persimmon trees do well in zones 6 and 7. They are hardy to 10 degrees

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 06:30:24 AM »
I am zome 7 here, do not know a or b thought, dont remember by the map I had looked over. I haven't seen many persimmon trees in my region, thought I've seen big fig trees/ bushes and have one pomegranate that is growing in the ground with passive protection in winter, which I will not protect this winter. I know this maybe has nothing to do with persimmons , but if I'm not wrong these three species seem to grow best in the same climate/zone. Now people here just seem to not plant such trees ,so this may be the reason that I do not see them very often,and not the climate itself.
By the way I assume mine are kaki since are grafted , don't know the varieties of both the rootstocks and scions .

For Europe, you can't find a map, as far as I know, where the zones are broken down to A's and B's, so you have to calculate that yourself. Bear in mind that US hardiness zones system is only partially applicable to Europe, especially in the higher zones, because for example you have places in Florida listed as zone 8 which will have daily high temperatures of +20C even in January. I would say that most Asian persimmons are borderline in your climate. To be safe, you should plant them in sheltered spots and give them some protection for the first few years. Also, if you can get some hybrids like "Nikita's Gift", that would be a good option as they would have no problems in your climate.

10F is 7b to 8a. Zone 6 starts at -10F to -5F.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »

For Europe, you can't find a map, as far as I know, where the zones are broken down to A's and B's, so you have to calculate that yourself. Bear in mind that US hardiness zones system is only partially applicable to Europe, especially in the higher zones, because for example you have places in Florida listed as zone 8 which will have daily high temperatures of +20C even in January. I would say that most Asian persimmons are borderline in your climate. To be safe, you should plant them in sheltered spots and give them some protection for the first few years. Also, if you can get some hybrids like "Nikita's Gift", that would be a good option as they would have no problems in your climate.

10F is 7b to 8a. Zone 6 starts at -10F to -5F.
thanks for the info , I will try to find them a somewhat sheltered spot ,to plant in the ground.
I have one spot which gets good ammount of sun, but has no cold wind protection, do u think if I tye the trees somehow in autumn and place over them white drums to just stop the cold wind will help. Obviously this will be not double in a few years ahead when they get bigger....

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 06:59:19 AM »
thanks for the info , I will try to find them a somewhat sheltered spot ,to plant in the ground.
I have one spot which gets good ammount of sun, but has no cold wind protection, do u think if I tye the trees somehow in autumn and place over them white drums to just stop the cold wind will help. Obviously this will be not double in a few years ahead when they get bigger....

I can't really tell you more as I have never done it myself. Here's how this guy did it (you won't understand what he's saying, but you can see what he's doing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4nDADM0FaQ

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 06:43:34 PM »
I have a potted persimmon in 7a and and an inground one. They are both fuyu grafted onto American persimmon. The inground one is huge, the potted one that is in my cold basement right now I will probably plant this spring since its also getting too big for the pot. Both of them dropped their fruits as they are still young.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 02:28:50 AM »
I have a potted persimmon in 7a and and an inground one. They are both fuyu grafted onto American persimmon. The inground one is huge, the potted one that is in my cold basement right now I will probably plant this spring since its also getting too big for the pot. Both of them dropped their fruits as they are still young.
interesting about the fruit drop , have u fertilized them , I have heard that they experience fruit drop if fertilized  when setting fruit , so u need to fertilize them early when blooming and no fert since then .... how big are they actually ?? Mine are around as tall as me , very low and heavy branched and in about 20-30 liter pots .

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 03:43:04 AM »
They are as tall as me plus some, I pruned the top so that it would branch out more instead of getting crazy tall. I didn't fertilize them at all, and the inground tree had about 8-10 fruits along 4 branches that got some size on them but all dropped one by one. Both trees came from the same source, they are a seedless variety and were not cross-pollinated which could also be a reason why the fruits were prone to dropping I read somewhere that persimmons produced by parthenocarpy (development of fruit without fertilization) are more prone to dropping! Maybe this upcoming spring more will hold to full maturity.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 05:18:07 AM »
They are as tall as me plus some, I pruned the top so that it would branch out more instead of getting crazy tall. I didn't fertilize them at all, and the inground tree had about 8-10 fruits along 4 branches that got some size on them but all dropped one by one. Both trees came from the same source, they are a seedless variety and were not cross-pollinated which could also be a reason why the fruits were prone to dropping I read somewhere that persimmons produced by parthenocarpy (development of fruit without fertilization) are more prone to dropping! Maybe this upcoming spring more will hold to full maturity.
if they are seedless variety by my logic they should not need cross pollination , since they are sterile...I think such  varieties should make fruits on their own...someone correct me if i'm wrong ....maybe u are right and they are just too young , i'm also expecting at least a blooming on my plants this spring , dont have high hopes for fruit buh who knows , i'm also planting them in the ground this spring....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:23:12 AM by Plantinyum »