Author Topic: Banana trees "fixing" the soil.  (Read 6469 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Banana trees "fixing" the soil.
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:55:16 AM »
I have heard a few people talk about how banana trees "fix" the soil.  Particularly to plant bananas around mangosteen trees.   What do the banana trees fix exactly?  And are they beneficial to be planted around other trees besides mangosteen?   

Thanks everyone!
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Banana trees "fixing" the soil.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 04:59:10 AM »
I have heard a few people talk about how banana trees "fix" the soil.  Particularly to plant bananas around mangosteen trees.   What do the banana trees fix exactly?  And are they beneficial to be planted around other trees besides mangosteen?   

Thanks everyone!

I've never heard of that before. And bananas love fertilization, esp N.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:01:10 AM »
As far as I know they mostly 'fix' the sunlight...

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 06:11:03 AM »

Thanks everyone!

I have grown the red Dwarf banana over years, they feed heavily & moistures are constant to have great fruit.  Companion planting  among fruit trees I noticed a decline in both companion fruit trees ( accept shade loving Coffee) due to excess shade by both parties.

In Central America where they are extensively grown monocultures, Banana pretty much exhaust the soil nutrients and little of anything can be grown on it without some type nutrient remedials or fallowing the land for pasture after a few year of cultivation & disease buildup.  We use them around coffee as a shade barrier and the dead leaves act as a humus builder in the soil on our heirloom bourbon coffee plantations in SE Asia highland (fruits are fed to the worker). ☕️🍌
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 06:54:39 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Bananas may be beneficial around mangosteens only to provide some shade while the mangosteen plants are still small. Most tropicals require some shade when little and a fast cash crop like bananas can produce fast and later be removed when main crop gets big enough. But bananas are big feeders and don't fix anything in the soil, rather they require a lot, especially nitrogen and potassium.
Maybe you are confused with legumes which can fix nitrogen into the soil by removing nitrogen from the air and putting it into the soil for the plant's use?
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 07:00:35 AM »
My soil is pretty much devoid of nutrients and bananas thrive in it. So I don't know how they exhaust the soil. I have 6 inches of topsoil smeared on top of high ph "fill" that was dredged up to make drainage canals. Regular trees seem to create humus in the soil via rotting roots and falling leaves. I think bananas are similar. I think they can be humus builders via roots and via mulching with spent banana stalks. Once the stalk fruits you should cut it down

theory: Mulch fruit trees with wood chips for the first five years to add humus to the soil and to foster all important mycorrhizal fungi. This w leaf fall replicates the forest floor. Then the humus creation engine is in motion and mulch is no longer needed but if used it will help trees grow and produce fruit.

Posted by: BMc

Agreed! They are solar collection devices.                         (so are cats 8))
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 07:02:16 AM by zands »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 09:23:34 AM »
They fix soggy soils.  Problems with freestanding water?  Plant bananas.  They'll drink it all up.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:24:39 AM »
They fix soggy soils.  Problems with freestanding water?  Plant bananas.  They'll drink it all up.

I removed some banana roots (corms?) and threw them into a five gallon bucket for someone to take and plant. He never took them. I forgot about the bucket. Three months later I see a banana shoot poking up above 5 inches of rain water. The above water banana part had leaves and was growing. So they are an aquatic plant of sorts

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 05:33:03 PM »
My soil is pretty much devoid of nutrients and bananas thrive in it. So I don't know how they exhaust the soil. I have 6 inches of topsoil smeared on top of high ph "fill" that was dredged up to make drainage canals. Regular trees seem to create humus in the soil via rotting roots and falling leaves. I think bananas are similar. I think they can be humus builders via roots and via mulching with spent banana stalks. Once the stalk fruits you should cut it down

theory: Mulch fruit trees with wood chips for the first five years to add humus to the soil and to foster all important mycorrhizal fungi. This w leaf fall replicates the forest floor. Then the humus creation engine is in motion and mulch is no longer needed but if used it will help trees grow and produce fruit.

Posted by: BMc

Agreed! They are solar collection devices.                         (so are cats 8))

Your soil must not be as devoid of nutrients as you think. To get good stalks of banana you need to add lots of nutrients, especially potassium. Without potassium the stalks will be very small, and after a while will make stalks without any bananas on it. I see this all the time in rows that i don't fertilize.
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 06:54:07 PM »
I've got a pomegranate that's right next to a banana patch that always looms chloritic. Might be due to the bananas pulling all tge available nutrients their way. I fertilize the pomegranate with 8-3-9 but it stays yellow. The soil around the banana patch looks so rich and dark, and fertile.

Jaime

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 07:48:59 PM »
I have heard a few people talk about how banana trees "fix" the soil. 

I agree with what everyone else has said. They do take a lot of nutrients.
Maybe your were referring to "fixing" the soil from an "aeration" standpoint? Bananas have big roots that don't last long, so i assume that, on the long run, they must aerate heavy soil where they are grown, sort of earthworms. I can't think any other way banana can have to "fix" the soil.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »
Bananas and papayas are the plants I have had no problems getting to grow LOL I can't kill or my dogs couldn't (when the plants were small the dogs trampled em over and over until I moved them to a protected area lol) and they just kept growing back. I have not fertilized much, so curious how good my soil is or might be.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:16:39 PM »
Bananas and papayas are the plants I have had no problems getting to grow LOL I can't kill or my dogs couldn't (when the plants were small the dogs trampled em over and over until I moved them to a protected area lol) and they just kept growing back. I have not fertilized much, so curious how good my soil is or might be.

Here wild pigs, horses, and cattle will munch your bananas instead.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 09:18:14 PM »
In Hawaii what bananas fix into the soil are tons of nematodes. The banana roots are a real magnet for these creatures.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 09:46:16 PM »
On my farm bananas produce well without any fertilizer, especially if they have some shade from nitrogen fixers.  Where we get namatodes is in plantain, a very serious problem.
I wouldn't use bananas for shade of small fruit trees because they will compete with them and they could fall directly on the fruit tree!
Peter

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 09:59:11 PM »
Bananas make great shade/windbreak for nurseries.  I like putting my newly grafted trees under the shade.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 10:35:45 PM »
thanks guys...  yeah i'm not sure whats up with this.  But i have been to 3 different farms here on big island where the owners had mangosteen planted and on all 3 there were banana trees planted within about 5 feet.   i could be mistaken but i thought i remembered hearing them all say something along the lines of "gotta plant these banana trees next to your mangosteen to help/fix the soil"   who knows...

thanks for all the responses
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »
Btw does anyone know how to deal with nematodes affecting banana? Seems like my banana cant handle them and the plant always topple everytime it fruits.I have since destroy the plant which is nangka banana( At that time i dont know it was nematode issue and i made a mistake by planting a senorita banana at the same spot).I applied carbofuran but still there are some rots on the root.The only banana that can grow without being affected in my neighbourhood is the grey saba banana which is only suitable for cooking and not fresh consumption.Should i find a resistant banana cultivar or are there any method to deal with this issue chemically or other ways?

meristos

• Caribbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »
This video will show you show banana, manihot, eucalyptus, citrus mangosteen and a lot of plant work together instead of compete each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSPNRu4ZPvE

Bananas produce shade and a huge amount of organic matter very beneficial to mangosteen for example. Root system is also different deep for mangosteen, shallow in comparison for banana. In sufficient amount of water and nutrient conditions, this association is very useful.

My yard:

heberger image

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »
I've heard that chopping up old banana leaves and using them as mulch is good for the soil.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »
My favorite spot to plant banana trees is where Nitrogen is overly abundant.... My septic field.

The roots do not seem to bother my septic field with the annual turn over of the plants.

Just thought I would post if you are looking for a nitrogen rich environment to plant the plants.   

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »
I was told that bananas push out roots to a certain point and then those roots die off and the corm pushes out new roots. The old roots would then rot and and create little compost corridors. As long as you are fertilizing you would be growing plenty of biomass to mulch and creating shade like the others mentioned.
-Josh

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »
hey guys,
banana would be great to plant with Mango tree. They will suck up the excessive water that rot the mango. Just make sure you plant the mango on the side where it gets most sun and not cover by the sun.  I got a tree planted next to it and didn't even get any leave damage over the winter and it's pretty healthy.  My other mango not under the banana got leave burns. 

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 03:19:26 PM »
I was told that bananas push out roots to a certain point and then those roots die off and the corm pushes out new roots. The old roots would then rot and and create little compost corridors. As long as you are fertilizing you would be growing plenty of biomass to mulch and creating shade like the others mentioned.

im guessing shade is the main reason for growing them
also, the leaves are huge and you can use them to protect the soil.
i chop+drop lots of leaves of all sorts, but when i put a nana leaf on top
it shades all the others, letting them rot faster. the plant is high in  potassium as well.

the fact that older roots rotting away would be great for the soil
but, i am guessing thats a long term thing.
as long as water isnt a big issue, i dont see it being a problem unless they are really close like a foot or 2.
i grow lots of plants close together.
sun is my main issue now, i dont worry about the roots.
Mycorrhizal fungi will actually take an excess of certain nutrients from one plant, or one area of the soil
and distribute it to another. they will even do this with water.

its also possible that Banana naturally has many species of Mycorrhizae colonizing its roots
and when planted close to  certain plants, those fungi will start colonising them too.
its one reason i like to grow plant close to each other.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »
HAHAH yep, I was just going to mention that. They are very efficient at converting sunlight and water into nematode colonies.

For soil desiccation, bamboo is prime.

In Hawaii what bananas fix into the soil are tons of nematodes. The banana roots are a real magnet for these creatures.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk