Author Topic: New Mango: Pineapple Pleasure  (Read 23876 times)

natsgarden123

Re: New Mango: Pineapple Pleasure
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »
Yah, the problem is that the name suggests something that may be unappealing to some customers. For example, the name 'Lemon Zest' has scared away those folks who think that the mango is going to have a sharp lemony tart to it (totally untrue). I've had a hard time trying to convince customers otherwise. A 'neutral' name like 'Pickering' is better, as it is free from mental associations.

My take is - the Zill's are strong on mango propagation, selection, and cultivation (probably #1 in the U.S.) but not so strong on the marketing side. Pine Island, on the other hand, is strong on marketing. Marketing brings in first time customers. High quality product keeps the customers returning.

Personally, I would have never bought a mango names Lemon Zest - but I read about it on Garden Web and I knew that it wasn't lemony.     
Pine Island has the great website with the mango viewer- Zills doesn't have anything like that. I never heard of Zills until I started researching on line-no one I know has ever heard of Zills ( except my husband who lived in Boynton Beach-he used to go fishing with an "old mango grove man", Mr Zill )

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
Yah, the problem is that the name suggests something that may be unappealing to some customers. For example, the name 'Lemon Zest' has scared away those folks who think that the mango is going to have a sharp lemony tart to it (totally untrue). I've had a hard time trying to convince customers otherwise. A 'neutral' name like 'Pickering' is better, as it is free from mental associations.

My take is - the Zill's are strong on mango propagation, selection, and cultivation (probably #1 in the U.S.) but not so strong on the marketing side. Pine Island, on the other hand, is strong on marketing. Marketing brings in first time customers. High quality product keeps the customers returning.
I am not sure Zills is even looking at it from a marketing standpoint.  Because of their reputation and the fact they are a wholesale nursery, they are not the one that has to sell to the public.  My take is that they are relying on the marketing of the nurseries that are buying them and retailing them.  A good nursery with a good reputation will have no problem selling a mango no matter what the name if they proclaim its qulity from coming from Zills.  I also think there is a benefit when nurseries that sell the trees also get fruit from zills to help market the trees.  Between you, murahilin and myself, tasting these creations over the years and "spreading the word" has been probably the biggest marketing tool they could have.
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »
Names aside, the Zill family has invested about 80 years in the improvement of Mango variety.  In all fairness, they deserve a lot of credit for their work.. Chances are good that although they have released a lot of new varieties recently, each one is an improvement on already well bred parents.  What tastes good to one person may not taste good to the next, but the concensus seems to be that Gary has a grasp on the improvement process.. We should be careful how we describe a mans hard work.  By discounting varieties it can be just as negative for a company as it is positive.  By telling people that something is not worth planting you can create a narrow minded view limiting diversity.  With power comes responsibility.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »
Well said, Uncle Ben.
Tim

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
hehe No doubt about that. I've taken a 'collect them all' approach to the new zill mangoes. I went ahead and joined the Pineapple Pleasure club today myself :-).

Names aside, the Zill family has invested about 80 years in the improvement of Mango variety.  In all fairness, they deserve a lot of credit for their work.. Chances are good that although they have released a lot of new varieties recently, each one is an improvement on already well bred parents.  What tastes good to one person may not taste good to the next, but the concensus seems to be that Gary has a grasp on the improvement process.. We should be careful how we describe a mans hard work.  By discounting varieties it can be just as negative for a company as it is positive.  By telling people that something is not worth planting you can create a narrow minded view limiting diversity.  With power comes responsibility.
Jeff  :-)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »
I stopped by Excalibur today and I noticed they also had the Pineapple Pleasure for sale if anyone is interested. They also had the Sunrise, Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream and the Jehangir that Jeff mentioned in another post.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 02:49:15 AM »
Has anyone tasted Pineapple Pleasure this year? How was it? I've read that it's tart but is it also fairly sweet? I would think that a variety released by Zills may have some tart but also balanced with moderate sweetness.

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 06:47:14 AM »
I have eaten a Pineapple Pleasure this year.  Its taste is what it is, a msngo with a distinct sweet pineapple flavor.  This is not a new variety so not sure otherwise how to respond to your post.  Not sure what your additional comment is that since its a Zill's mango it has to have a tart component. I describe an unripe mango to be potentially tart.  The Pineapple Pleasure,  and some others, have certain levels of a subacid component but if picked and ripened properly i am not sure i would say tr art.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2015, 10:51:10 AM »
Thanks for the information Rob. What I was trying to say is that I don't believe that Zills would release a very tart mango, one that is not sweet at all. From what I've read, most if not all the new Zill varieties have a good balance of sweet, even if it has a tart component like Sweet Tart.

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
Thanks for the information Rob. What I was trying to say is that I don't believe that Zills would release a very tart mango, one that is not sweet at all. From what I've read, most if not all the new Zill varieties have a good balance of sweet, even if it has a tart component like Sweet Tart.

Simon

When the Sweet Tart is picked properly and ripened fully,  it does not really have that Sudafed component.

Harvest Moon has very little to no subacid component either.   Coconut Cream definitely has none.
- Rob