Author Topic: Tropics vs. Natives etc ?  (Read 2619 times)

amiart

• View Profile
Tropics vs. Natives etc ?
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:11:46 AM »
I am wondering how do you know what types of "tropical's" can safely be planted without disrupting that native plants and such. I really really like some of the tropicals but don't want them to become potitiential pest plants.

I am aiming to have my yard/landscape be about 20-30 % natives, then the rest in other stuff...

Please advise.

also is sugar cane invasive ?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Tropics vs. Natives etc ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:37:06 AM »
I am wondering how do you know what types of "tropical's" can safely be planted without disrupting that native plants and such. I really really like some of the tropicals but don't want them to become potitiential pest plants.

I am aiming to have my yard/landscape be about 20-30 % natives, then the rest in other stuff...

Please advise.

also is sugar cane invasive ?

Not sure where you live, but invasiveness of plants is highly dependent on your location. Most states have lists of plants that are considered invasive in their area. Sugar cane can certainly be invasive in the tropics, but in colder climates you may have to nurture it to get it to grow.
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:06:14 AM »
Doesn't invasiveness result from seeds being spread around (by birds and animals, or just from fallen fruit) so most fruit trees don't generally become invasive?  Especially the ones with large seeds. ???
John

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »
I once purchased banana passionfruit  ( Passiflora mollissima ) seeds, then I learned how invasive it was, because birds spread the seeds, and the plant can completely cover trees.  so I never planted them.

You will need to research each plant that your interested in,  a particular plant that is invasive in one climate may not be in another. 

For general information on cultivation, uses, and medicinal properties if any try Plants For a Future Database: http://pfaf.org/user/plantsearch.aspx

A link to a smack load of links:
http://rainforest-database.com/plants/database-links.htm

Agroforestry database:
http://www.worldagroforestry.org/treedb/

These should keep you busy for a while hehe  ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:11:05 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 03:13:31 AM »
Doesn't invasiveness result from seeds being spread around (by birds and animals, or just from fallen fruit) so most fruit trees don't generally become invasive?  Especially the ones with large seeds. ???

Even large seeded trees, like avocado, can drop fruit and become invasive in right climate. Some large seeded plants can also become invasive through suckering from the roots. For example, the very large seeded bakuri, Platonia insignis, is extremely invasive in Brazil. If you cut all the trees down in a field of bakuris you'll get thousands coming up from all the roots.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »
Balanites is big seeded but considered invasive as well. It is extremely drought tolerant, and in less harsh environments most of the seeds will germinate and establish new populations rapidly. But many other factors contribute to whether or not a plant will become invasive in a different environment, including present herbivores, plant pathogens etc.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk