Author Topic: Try, try again  (Read 2913 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Try, try again
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
I thought I'd reiterate what others have said -- the importance of trying a particular fruit / cultivar more than once before passing judgement.

A few days ago I tried lemon meringue for the first time at a fruit stand and it was very bland. Yesterday I tried it at another fruit stand and it was delicious: sweet and rich, a touch of lemon, no off flavors.  I bought a few and they have been excellent too. (I'm not saying the nursery was the difference, just different day, different fruit, different ripeness, who knows?)

And, now that I've had 8 or 9 Pickerings, different sources, different days,  I finally understand why others enjoy it.

I've now had a Mallika that tasted rich and sweet, like candied carrots, and one that was good and did not taste like cooked carrots.

Even my own mature Dot tree gave me fruit ranging from musky/musty sweet to good to eyes rolling back in my head, "now that's what I'm talking about."

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Try, try again
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
Yep. I find that the early crop of mangoes from a particular tree are bland while the later ones are sweeter. For example, the nam doc mais that ripened in mid June got chucked to the racoons, while the normal crop (the ones that ripened july) were excellent. This year's pickerings were especially variable in that regard.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
A lot also depends on the care of the tree and the weather conditions prior to harvest.

As for Mallika, I have had many of them, from multiple sources, and never detected anything close to resembling carrots, candied or otherwise.  I always associate a good Mallika as being sweet, creamy with definite Orange creamsicle taste.  I have had two so far this year that have been just that.  Also, they are very aromatic from the outside when they start to ripen/take on their yellow coloration and when cut into their orange flesh has that distinct creamsicle aroma.
- Rob

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »
My partner picked up on the orangey taste; I haven't so far.

Today I got to taste a very nice mango called Zinc.   I believe the nice woman said it was a cross between Zill and something that starts with a "c".

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
Jeff, you reminded me that the Rosigold mangos I harvested and ate one February were bland, but the ones I've eaten in April or May were good.   And the Tommy Atkins I ate in mid-August actually had flavor.

Maybe more sunshine means more flavor?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »
  I believe the nice woman said it was a cross between Zill and something that starts with a "c".

Cambodiana.

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:33:05 PM »
I have had really gross Carrie fruits.  If the bad one was my first tasting, I would have never touched it again.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »
I have had really gross Carrie fruitsIf the bad one was my first tasting, I would have never touched it again.
You said it all right there  ;D ;D :P
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk