Author Topic: Sweet tart mango planting location question  (Read 571 times)

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
Sweet tart mango planting location question
« on: May 22, 2021, 12:45:17 PM »
So a good friend of mine was so thoughtful to gift me a sweet tart, and now I'm trying to find a good spot for it on my small plot. I'm pretty limited with what areas I have left, but there is a spot I might be able to plant it if I clear out the saw palmetto. Before I do that though, does anyone know how it might do if it gets a little extra water? I have two otherwise ideal spots but one spot does flood a few inches at times (though historically it drains off in a few days) and the other it would get hit with sprinklers a few times a week.

One of my favorite Truly Tropical videos is a tour of Marlys Zill's place out in Loxahatchee which has a similar clime to my area in Jupiter Farms, and in one spot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuIkT8JH7gE&t=258s) they talk about how well mangos do in standing water, and in another (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuIkT8JH7gE&t=1261s) how the sweet tart "does well in just about any location". So I'm kind of optimistic? I don't mind a little hit in the yield as long as the fruit would still taste as it should.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 12:47:05 PM by rainking430 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet tart mango planting location question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 01:14:05 PM »
It will survive in areas that hold water for a short period but its not optimal.  Too much water at the wrong time can lead to washed out or rotted fruit.  You could try planting on a mound but I would seek out a better spot, if possible.

I would not compare Jupiter Farms to Marlys' location in Loxahatchee.
- Rob

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 02:23:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice bsbullie.

I would not compare Jupiter Farms to Marlys' location in Loxahatchee.

Can you expound as to why you would say that? I only meant from the standpoint that its farther inland and less developed than the coastal areas, thus not as much airflow perhaps and maybe a bit more humidity/dampness as well. So sometimes diseases here need more vigilance and it sounds like the same could be true where she lives.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:27:01 PM by rainking430 »

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 02:25:01 PM »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:26:37 PM by rainking430 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 02:55:38 PM »
plant on a mound in the driest place that gets good sun, and is not too close to the house