Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620447 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #425 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:04 PM »
Hello
My name is Maurice and i have been growing and learning about fruit trees(as a hobby) since about 2009, rarely participating in any internet forum but silently reading. The collection and knowledge increased drastically during this time but at first people bugged me for having too many plants, now my family has finally gotten used to it :P.

As a proud nerd i have many hobbies which include reading about different topics,sports and computer science/programming which is what i majored in.

See you around  :D

Hello Maurice

I also live in Santo Domingo, so we are "neighbors"  what plants do you have? what are you looking for?  send pm .

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 22, 2012, 01:19:47 PM »
Spent 11 years on the island of Java, the town of Malang,Indonisia, thus i am very familiar with tropicals fruits. We had 4 acres of fruits describe on this forum.I like to add a mango variety that we grew that we grew with the name of kwennee, it is pronounce this way, but is spelled different i believe, it has lots of fibre and taste totally different(a aquired taste).It is a large fruit and you have to peel it thick and make shure you don't mesh with it or you end-up with thick lips.

I retired in Arkansas, U.S. now and like to grow a few tropicals fruits tree's.I am growing a Page Manderin tree for the last 5 years and it is doing good and so are my pomagranates. As i read articles in this Forum it brings back sweet memories(tears that is). Maybe i can find answers on this forum.
Bob.

Hello Bob

You must miss your tropical s from Java,  some members are growing tropical fruits in Canada, and even Iceland, so I am sure you can learn from their experience.

not sure if you have tried some of the wonderful varieties mentioned in this forum, some do well in containers. 

UPDATE:

I found the name of your Java mango, its called " Kweni".

Popular varieties of mangoes cultivated in East Java include Arumanis or Gadung, Manalagi, Podang, Chokanan, Golek, Gurih, Kweni, Madu and more. Cukur Gondang Mango Plantation (Department of Agriculture, Horticultural Research & Development) has its research ground in 13-hectares of land in Pasuruan keeping 210 mango varieties.

However, the most popular one for export is Gadung or Arumanis – known as Green Mango in Singapore. Manalagi, Golek, Gurih, Kweni and Madu are good varieties popular locally – yet have not won popularity like Gadung, be it locally or overseas. Podang – produced mostly in Kediri - is just potential for export.

Big green mango.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:29:22 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 22, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »
Spent 11 years on the island of Java, the town of Malang,Indonisia, thus i am very familiar with tropicals fruits. We had 4 acres of fruits describe on this forum.I like to add a mango variety that we grew that we grew with the name of kwennee, it is pronounce this way, but is spelled different i believe, it has lots of fibre and taste totally different(a aquired taste).It is a large fruit and you have to peel it thick and make shure you don't mesh with it or you end-up with thick lips.

I retired in Arkansas, U.S. now and like to grow a few tropicals fruits tree's.I am growing a Page Manderin tree for the last 5 years and it is doing good and so are my pomagranates. As i read articles in this Forum it brings back sweet memories(tears that is). Maybe i can find answers on this forum.
Bob.

Hello Bob

You must miss your tropical s from Java,  some members are growing tropical fruits in Canada, and even Iceland, so I am sure you can learn from their experience.

not sure if you have tried some of the wonderful varieties mentioned in this forum, some do well in containers. 

UPDATE:

I found the name of your Java mango, its called " Kweni".

Popular varieties of mangoes cultivated in East Java include Arumanis or Gadung, Manalagi, Podang, Chokanan, Golek, Gurih, Kweni, Madu and more. Cukur Gondang Mango Plantation (Department of Agriculture, Horticultural Research & Development) has its research ground in 13-hectares of land in Pasuruan keeping 210 mango varieties.

However, the most popular one for export is Gadung or Arumanis – known as Green Mango in Singapore. Manalagi, Golek, Gurih, Kweni and Madu are good varieties popular locally – yet have not won popularity like Gadung, be it locally or overseas. Podang – produced mostly in Kediri - is just potential for export.

Big green mango.

It sounds more like Kuini , which is the closely related species M. oderata, and not an actual mango variety. http://benardcometh.blogspot.com.au/2008/08/buah-kuini-aka-kuini-fruit.html

Welcome Luak.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 28, 2012, 01:48:30 AM »
X
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:57:20 PM by DurianLover »

ricocecargill

• Thank GOD For Life
    • Bahamas, Grand Bahama, Freeport,10
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 01, 2012, 01:14:46 AM »
Hello every one. My name is Rico and I live in Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas. It is a pleasure to be in this forum learning from every one. I will like to say thank you to all the members for the meaningful education thus far.
Behave in the image that GOD created us in. Cultivate the earth with good seed so our children and other behind us can reap good fruits.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 05, 2012, 11:52:53 PM »
Welcome Rico and Cultivator.Rico it would be great to see what is being grown in the Bahamas and to hear about what you are growing.Cultivator it is good to have another FNQ person on board.You will find folk knowlegeable and helpful here and also willing to trade.The green curtain is more porous than you think.

ricocecargill

• Thank GOD For Life
    • Bahamas, Grand Bahama, Freeport,10
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself - My Growing List
« Reply #431 on: November 08, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
I will post the more comprehensive list tomorrow, but for now please note the list below. I will also post some pictures after I photoshop the tags onto the picture. All of my plants are in the ground and they all range from 3 gallon to full size trees. I got serious and started in April 4, 2012 after I realized the amount of good knowledge and rewards that I could absorbs as a result of planting and growing with my family (wife and daughter). It feels fulfilling. I also started to support my trees with steel re-bar since we get many hurricanes, at least 2-3 per year for this island that average to be Cat 3-4s for periods that tends to be 6-11 hours. I also try to limit my trees to grow no more than 10 feet for the aforementioned reasons. All of my plants were impacted by salty winds from Sandy which was a Cat 1 when it did hit. We felt the effects of the storm for 2.5 days. But they are all recovering, but look a little bad. I am open to share and trade where/when it is legally possible.  I am also expanding my collection this month when I get the yard fenced-in.

Mango: Fairchild, Nam Doc Mai, Mallika, Pickering, Turpintin, and Florigon
Sapodillia: Alano
Jujube: Thornless (Broken above the graft point as a result of wind damage)
Passion Fruit: Purple Possom (Died from root/stem rot as a result of over watering)
Sugar Apple: 2 Unknown Cultivars
Loquart: Unknown Cultivar
Abiu: Harvest Moon
Star Fruit: Arkin
Purple Caimito/Star Apple
Jaboticaba
Citrus: Myer Lemon, Key Lime, Navel Orange, and Unkown from seed
Sugar Cane: Red, Green , and Gold (Sorry, I don't know much about cane which is a shame since I was born in a Colonial system that dealt with cane field)
Blu Berries: 3 Cultivars ( Will look at my records and update the info.)
Black Berry: Natchez
Raspberry: I don't recall. I will look at my notes
Fig: Brown Turkey Fig
Hog Plum (Red Colour)
Plantain: Unknow Cultivar, but very sweet and firm
Tambrind: Thai Sweet
Rollina
Lychee: Sweetheart, and Mauritius
Soursop
Persimon: Fuyu
Behave in the image that GOD created us in. Cultivate the earth with good seed so our children and other behind us can reap good fruits.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 09, 2012, 03:36:40 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I am a mango-lover from Bangkok Thailand. I have 2 big NamDocMai tree's which i converted into multi-grafted tree's. I have about 10 species growing on them and since yesterday a graft of sangaria (ma-prang in thai) on it.

I also graft citrus on my pomelo-tree and i have plumeria's with loads of different flowers.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 09, 2012, 04:07:39 AM »
Welcome Bangkok you will be welcomed here as there are very few people in thailand contributing, if any.I wonder how long it will take before people are asking you to visit chatachuk and get some lin and long laplae seeds,sala sumalee seeds, big sweet wan maprang seeds,longkong seeds or even sam ru dus.

I hope we see lots of contributions from you.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 09, 2012, 04:27:28 AM »
Thanks Mike.

I know much better places to buy plants then Chatuchak market. I buy where the salesppl from Chatuchak also buy, the wholesale shops who dont speak english at all, nothing is labeled and they all look at me like which western soccer-team is in our country now? Anyway who comes to Bangkok should visit Chatuchak market in the weekend (full market) and on friday only plant-market.

I will help anybody with my knowledge of Thailand, i live in Bkk for 9 years now and speak a little Thai, i am Dutch by the way. I also have stayed in Cairns at the Esplanade when i was travelling there many years ago.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 09, 2012, 04:39:51 AM »
Bangkok I didn't think you were thai because you don't type with a thai accent.There is a better market near Chatuchak and I just can't remember its name but I think it starts with O and is on the other side of the sky train.
Lots of Dutch people live in Cairns or visit Cairns and the esplanade is usually jumping with European,Asian and American tourists.
I hope to hear more from you Bangkok.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 09, 2012, 05:30:57 AM »
Mike i rarely come in the skytrain-area. Chatuchak is too busy and too hot for me so i only go there if i really need something that is only sold there.

If you want to buy tropical plants then come Saturday 26 January –Saturday 2 February 2013 because then there is a huge agriculture fair at the kasetsart university in Bangkok.
http://www.grad.ku.ac.th/eng/calendar/2012%20Academic%20Calendar%20for%20Bangkhen%20Campus.pdf check this site for the final date because they might change it. It is about 30 min. by taxi from Chatuchak weekend market (skytrain station Mo Chit). Smart people dont come in the weekend because it will be very very busy.

On this fair there will be fruit and plantsellers from all over Thailand. If you need rare species you might find them there. It sure is worth a daytrip for collectors/tourists.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 09, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I am a mango-lover from Bangkok Thailand. I have 2 big NamDocMai tree's which i converted into multi-grafted tree's. I have about 10 species growing on them and since yesterday a graft of sangaria (ma-prang in thai) on it.

I also graft citrus on my pomelo-tree and i have plumeria's with loads of different flowers.

Welcome to the forum. Do maprangs graft easily onto mango?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 09, 2012, 08:42:15 AM »
Oh now i see, quick reply is to reply on a post...i have to learn all options.

Murahilin i dont know yet, i tried one approach-graft to a thin mango-branch (I took the whole stem from the maprang with 4 thin branches on it and keep it in the sun) Also i made 2 side veneer grafts.  The veneergrafts were having a swollen bud but very thin, like 3-4 mm so it was hard to do that while mosquito's were biting me nonstop. They are under the leaves so in pretty much shade.

I also will try the lalee jewo soon but i have to buy it first. My thai wife don't know the kuini but if there are more thai fruits that i can graft on the mango then let me know i will buy them and try it. I am sure when my mango has many different fruits the whole neighbourhood will come to see what the strange foreigner made out of his mangotree. So far nobody believes me that it is possible.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »
bangkok,

Welcome to the forums, good to hear from other members from around the world.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 10, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
Just a note that I will be largely unplugged for the next few months.  Got some priority work to get one...

Plancton

• Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Cayey, 10 to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 11, 2012, 08:54:56 AM »
HI TFF, Placton here.  I started to grow edibles 6 years ago after I was able to get a bigger plot on my house.  I do not have much space but love to eat fruits from my garden.  I'm always in the search of a good fruiting/spice/medicinal plant that is not too big and is willing to work with my 10/11 zone. 
By now I'm able to have fruits year round with most all my plants being common to my area.  My selection is not too big but is opened to whomever is in the look for seeds/cuttings/roots/branches etc. 
I love to have the opportunity to sprout a seed, see it grow and let them say thanks by giving something back to you; amazing sense of accomplishment.
Hope for the best to your plants and caretakers.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 11, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »
HI TFF, Placton here.  I started to grow edibles 6 years ago after I was able to get a bigger plot on my house.  I do not have much space but love to eat fruits from my garden.  I'm always in the search of a good fruiting/spice/medicinal plant that is not too big and is willing to work with my 10/11 zone. 
By now I'm able to have fruits year round with most all my plants being common to my area.  My selection is not too big but is opened to whomever is in the look for seeds/cuttings/roots/branches etc. 
I love to have the opportunity to sprout a seed, see it grow and let them say thanks by giving something back to you; amazing sense of accomplishment.
Hope for the best to your plants and caretakers.

Welcome to the forum. I don't think any part of PR is in zone 10 and barely any is even in zone 11. You are more likely zone 12a or 12b being in Cayey. The cost is 13a/b.

Here is a pic of the USDA zone map for PR:

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 11, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
Just a note that I will be largely unplugged for the next few months.  Got some priority work to get one...

I expect you'll be back in time for mango season?  ;D

Bass

• Pennsylvania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 16, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »
Hello my name is Bass. I live in Bethlehem, pa. I have a large collection of figs, but I love all fruit.
I have family in trinidad and enjoy visiting there mainly for the food and the fruits.
I have a few tropical trees, but mainly uncommon fruit trees that are hardy in my area such as pawpaw, jujube, kiwi, persimmon, pomegranate, and a few mulberries. Still experimenting with mangoes and guavas in my greenhouse.

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 27, 2012, 08:00:17 AM »
Hi All!!!
Just found this forum yesterday. It looks like a great bunch of people.
I'm hoping to learn and expand my knowledge of tropicals.
I own a small air conditioning company in Cape Coral, Fl.

Thanks!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #446 on: November 28, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »
Hi Everybody,

Yes Murahilin maprang and mango are compatible and easy to graft. Often done in Thailand.
Oscar

TeamTeke

• Key Colony Beach, Fl -Florida Keys,
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 02, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
Hello All, Ron Teke here from Key Colony Beach in the Florida Keys.  My wife & I have are now calling ourselves permanent residents after having been snowbirds for about 10 years.  We have a small lot with limited space but have many regular vegetables + pineapples and a sad looking avocado tree.  I will post the problem tree in general discussion looking for help.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 08, 2012, 11:48:41 AM »
Hi Everybody,

Yes Murahilin maprang and mango are compatible and easy to graft. Often done in Thailand.

I just see your reply now Oscar.
Well nobody here can believe me when i tell them i will graft maprang on mango, i have no idea if it is done often but so far my grafts died. I m trying a new approach graft now between them and will let it settle for 2 months before i cut anything of. If you say it is possible then i will keep on trying. My grafting techniques are getting better every time and now cleft grafts also succeed by the tips from the forum. I will let you know when i have a maprang scion growing on the NDM.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #449 on: December 09, 2012, 09:03:50 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I just see your reply now Oscar.
Well nobody here can believe me when i tell them i will graft maprang on mango, i have no idea if it is done often but so far my grafts died. I m trying a new approach graft now between them and will let it settle for 2 months before i cut anything of. If you say it is possible then i will keep on trying. My grafting techniques are getting better every time and now cleft grafts also succeed by the tips from the forum. I will let you know when i have a maprang scion growing on the NDM.
I should say i haven't tired it. It is second hand from my friend in Lampang, Thailand.
Oscar