Author Topic: Lemon Zest and Powdery Mildew  (Read 1511 times)

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Lemon Zest and Powdery Mildew
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:02:48 AM »
Hi all, I have an opportunity to get a really nice healthy looking lemon zest mango tree  , it’s about 8 ft tall and 6 ft wide, i have tasted lemon zest before at Benders about 2 years ago and thought it was a great mango. I’ve been reading and hearing that it has issues with powdery mildew. If I where to get it, will I put my other trees at risk of getting powdery mildew as well? Is it worth the maintenance and spraying regimen? Or should I just pass on it? Thoughts please!

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Zest and Powdery Mildew
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
Lemon Zest is really one of the best mangoes available, IMO. I've had mine now about 5 maybe 6 years and the fruit are just delicious every year. You will have to spray fungicide to get good crops, I got about 70 from a 15 ft tree, just sprayed lower part that I could reach and only once with sulfur. Upper canopy did not have many mangoes, probably from PM infection of flowers. But it is definitely possible to get a decent crop. In relation to your other question, it should not put your other trees more at risk. Powdery Mildew proliferation depends on weather, all trees will be at risk. Some trees are just better at setting fruit through the infection. LZ is just more susceptible to it. I would get it.

AlexTrees

• Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »
Wow 70 fruit is nice! So you only spray once with sulfer as soon as it blooms and that’s it?  Do you spray if there is no signs of PM as well as a preventative? How about in the off-season? Thanks bud!

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
Wow 70 fruit is nice! So you only spray once with sulfer as soon as it blooms and that’s it?  Do you spray if there is no signs of PM as well as a preventative? How about in the off-season? Thanks bud!

Every time I've seen it or sooty mildew there is an aphid infestation.  I'm sure it's not 100%, but it's pretty consistent.  Look it up. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »

I don't like to spray chemicals if I don't have to, so yes, I only sprayed the tree once last year. Ideally, you would want to spray once right before the bloom and then again after the bloom is finished. I only sprayed wettable sulfur, I believe 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Some may suggest a sprayer sticker to add as well to help keep the effect longer. And also, you may want to rotate chemicals like copper to avoid building immunity in the Powdery Mildew.
And no, I do not notice an aphid infestation with PM. With sooty mold, sometimes there is a scale infection or aphids, but that seems to be more on citrus, from what I have seen. PM just happens when the weather conditions are favorable for its development.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »
Powdery mildew has no association with aphids. Ive had both but neither at the same time.