Author Topic: Are these maha chanok ripe?  (Read 2915 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Are these maha chanok ripe?
« on: May 30, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »
First year my tree is producing. Found these on the ground today - they look underripe to me. I suspect a raccoon knocked them off the tree - they were inside strawberry clamshells so raccoon couldn't actually eat them, just pulled them off the tree. Think they will ripen properly on the counter?

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
Re: Are these maha chanok ripe?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 07:11:29 PM »
They are not ripe yet..... You have a small amount of colour so keep your fingers crossed they may ripen up.......

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 10:23:01 PM »
Thanks! I'll let them sit and see what happens. I hope the raccoons leave the couple still on the tree alone so I can get one fully ripened on the tree!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:23:34 PM »
Experiment with them a bit to determine the proper eating stage. I like mine a bit on the under-ripe side and eat them at first sign of give to firm thumb pressure.

PS -- you shouldn't notice a difference between tree ripened mangoes and mangoes picked at the mature green stage. Sometimes the latter are actually better tasting, as tree ripened fruit can get internal breakdown or uneven ripening (and maha tends towards internal breakdown).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:25:39 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:28:02 PM »
I have found when a mango changes color at the bottom it ripe to over ripe as they appear and maybe why the fell off. Yes they will be hard still but will ripen in a few days. If left to ripen on the tree to long they can get a chaulky feel/taste to them

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 02:34:10 PM »
send it this way and I can taste it for you and tell you if it is ripe.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »
Thanks all! Cookie Monster- is the skin usually still green at the stage you like them? The ones I've had in the past were fully yellow when I got them.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »
Yes. The flesh can be soft even though skin is green.

Thanks all! Cookie Monster- is the skin usually still green at the stage you like them? The ones I've had in the past were fully yellow when I got them.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 09:36:32 PM »
Thanks Jeff! They have a little give, I'll cut one open for breakfast tomorrow and see how it is:)

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 10:04:37 AM »

I've not had trouble with internal breakdown with Maha. I make sure my trees get a lot of calcium when fruiting - maybe that's why.I usually eat mine when they look like this:

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »
Interesting. My tree gets a good bit of gypsum and it's atop a pile of limestone fill, but it still seems to get mild ripening issues (where the flesh around the seed is more ripe than the flesh near the skin) unless I pick it mature green.

Does yours have any tart to it when eaten fully yellow like that?

Nice looking maha btw.

I've not had trouble with internal breakdown with Maha. I make sure my trees get a lot of calcium when fruiting - maybe that's why.I usually eat mine when they look like this:

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
I just had my first Maha that dropped about a week ago , it was good very citrusy it was all green .
I ripened it in a bag and placed it inside my garage 👍
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 12:49:07 PM »

Great color !
Zone 10

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
Interesting. My tree gets a good bit of gypsum and it's atop a pile of limestone fill, but it still seems to get mild ripening issues (where the flesh around the seed is more ripe than the flesh near the skin) unless I pick it mature green.

Does yours have any tart to it when eaten fully yellow like that?

Nice looking maha btw.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:02:32 PM by Gambit »

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »

Cookie Monster,
We've noticed that some, but not many, do get that jelly-like over-ripeness close to the seed. There's is a nice hint of tartness even when the Mahas are left alone to ripen fully on the tree. It's usually eaten within 2 days of harvesting. We both prefer our mangos sweet, so it ripens on the tree. Pic of the Maha this season...

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 03:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the pic of the fully ripened one - that is definitely what I expected them to look like when ripe. Mine definitely are not ripe, and not ripe enough to mature properly on the counter either - just starting to wrinkle & are still very sour. Still white about half way in to the flesh when I cut them open. I've left one to ripen in my garage just to see - but expect it will not ripen properly. The others I made into green mango pickles which I like.

I've only got 3 left on the tree - really hope one will ripen properly so I get to taste it this season. When racoons pull them off the tree, there are usually some claw marks on the fruit. But none of these have been marred, so I'm wondering if they are dropping for some other reason? It is much hotter than usual for this time of year & no rain - will trees drop fruit with lack of water? I wonder if I should hand water the tree? My manilita & pickering are both loaded with fruit at about the same level of maturity and they are not dropping fruit. Thoughts?

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 02:15:27 PM »
Not sure if it is coincidence or not, but I haven't had any more fruit drop prematurely since I started giving extra water. So fingers crossed I get a couple to ripen this year=)

Gambit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »
Not sure if it is coincidence or not, but I haven't had any more fruit drop prematurely since I started giving extra water. So fingers crossed I get a couple to ripen this year=)

Both our Maha trees tend to shed a lot of fruit when they're approx. 3 in or less. After that there are very few drops. Through the years, we've also been regularly watering them throughout the season, 2 to 3 times a week. My soil, if you can call it that in south St. Pete is all bleached beach sand, drains and dries fast. With temps in the high 80s and low 90s, which is unseasonably high for this time of the year, we water religiously. We adopted this watering schedule especially for the Nam Dok Mai #4, which is prone to splitting with uneven watering.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
Thanks Gambit for the info on your watering schedule! We were up over 100 a few days and high 90s a lot of days, very unseasonable for May. A lot of things are showing the stress of early heat without the daily rains having started yet. Got a good downpour today, so maybe that means the weird dry/hot snap is over.