Author Topic: 2017 SoCal mango tasting  (Read 14343 times)

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 SoCal mango tasting
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 01:54:45 AM »
I would like to thank Frank and his mom for hosting the event and Warren, Ashok, Simon for setting up.  The event is wonderful as usual and it was wonderful to be in the presence of some of the pioneers in california mangos (Jim, Leo and Rudy).

My favorite top 5 were (in no particular order)
1. Lemon Zest
2. Sweet Tart
3. Leo kiett seedling
4. Fake Kesar (kesar tree sold to me from a florida nursery but the fruit is definitely not kesar)
5. Senorita

Others that are good:
Icecream, real alphonso

They didn't have any ripe coconut cream at the tasting but the coconut cream I just ate would rank up in the top 5 in my opinion.  It's so good, my wife forbids me to give any of it away!

I think we did a pretty good job of ripening the mangos this year but it was definitely tough to get more varieties than what we have.  I did bring my second to last Irwin I have on my tree but it was too small to split amongst the 22 people there.  It was good but it wasn't close to being the top tier in my opinion.  It is very pretty though and my gardener asked me for the last Irwin today.  I gave it away so he won't ask for my good mangos :)
Robert

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »
Frank, are those pictures all from your garden? Wow looks very awesome.

Is this a yearly event? how can i participate for next year?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
Other top tasting varieties at the tasting was Ice Cream, Bombay, Leo Keitt seedling, Leo #2, Nam Doc Mai, Kesar, Carrie, Peach Cobbler, Juicy Peach, Peach Cobbler, Leo Z.

Leo’s Keitt seedling was really top notch with excellent sugar acid balance. The balance of sweet and sour was reminiscent of Seniorita and Sweet Tart but on a more toned down level.

Simon
Thank

I really enjoy these side by side comparisons (both reading and performing).
Other top tasting varieties at the tasting was Ice Cream, Bombay, Leo Keitt seedling, Leo #2, Nam Doc Mai, Kesar, Carrie, Peach Cobbler, Juicy Peach, Peach Cobbler, Leo Z.

Leo’s Keitt seedling was really top notch with excellent sugar acid balance. The balance of sweet and sour was reminiscent of Seniorita and Sweet Tart but on a more toned down level.

Simon
Thanks FrankDrebinOfFruits, Aloha is a great mango but when put up against some of the top tier varieties such as LZ and Sweet Tart, it does not measure up to the level of complexity as the elite varieties. Aloha is a great fruit that you can eat more than one of and not get sugared out or sensory overload although it is a large Mango so that may limit your intake. The flavor profile is a rich tropical mango flavor that is sweet but not overwhelmingly sweet. The Tropical mango flavor component reminds me of Haden, Baileys Marvel and a bit of Fruit Punch and there is little fiber. The tree the fruit came from is huge and Mike and Rudy(Mr El Bumpo Cherimoya) said you have to be careful standing under the tree because about ten Fruit drop from it everyday. I believe they said the tree held several hundred fruit this year.

Here is a whole crate of Alohas brought to the tasting
Something is wrong with PostImage, I’ll post pic later
Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »
Whats up with the "real alphonso"?  Whats the fake alphonso?  I got a seedling "real alphonso" tree from exotica a few weeks ago. 
Brad Spaugh

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
Spaugh,
Fake Alphonso refers to a tree that was sold as an "Alphonso", but turned out to be something else.

btw...I'm curious as to why Exotica would sell anyone a seedling Alphonso.  The chances of a good variety coming from it is like 1:1000.  Maybe you'll be that lucky one.  Good luck!

Warren

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 03:55:27 PM »
Wow, its encouraging and exciting to see the proven result: successfully growing and fruiting the many varieties of mangos in Southern California. (Of course in Florida and Texas, too!)

Thanks to all for the valuable "show and tell", indeed it must have been a group effort to put this all together!

BRAVO!

Sam

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »
Spaugh,
Fake Alphonso refers to a tree that was sold as an "Alphonso", but turned out to be something else.

btw...I'm curious as to why Exotica would sell anyone a seedling Alphonso.  The chances of a good variety coming from it is like 1:1000.  Maybe you'll be that lucky one.  Good luck!

I guess for rootstock Alfonso is a failed mango in SoCal and in south Florida as our Friend Peter calls it the King of internal breakdown
We are a few years away from a Mega mango festival in SoCal for CRFG members with an admission charge

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 06:07:21 PM »
Whats up with the "real alphonso"?  Whats the fake alphonso?  I got a seedling "real alphonso" tree from exotica a few weeks ago.

I took a photo comparison of fake & real alphonso.

Here is a photo of the fake kesar

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2017, 06:18:07 PM »

I took a photo comparison of fake & real alphonso.

Here is a photo of the fake kesar

Alfonso's were mediocre and fake kesar was not much better

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2017, 06:54:30 PM »
Spaugh,

my understanding was they would not be true to seed.  but I asked and he claimed they came from a field of only real alphonsos and therefore would be only alphonso genetics.  I guess I got scammed out of 20$  :'(

Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
I would guess that all the mango trees from which fruit was obtained have California-suitable rootstock and no fruit came from imported Florida trees.  Correct, or no?
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
No, there were Fruit that were grown from Florida rootstock trees. Some varieties do perform ok, even well on Florida rootstock such as Valencia Pride. Most of us are switching to alternative rootstocks however and only using the Florida rootstocks for scions.

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »
No, there were Fruit that were grown from Florida rootstock trees. Some varieties do perform ok, even well on Florida rootstock such as Valencia Pride. Most of us are switching to alternative rootstocks however and only using the Florida rootstocks for scions.

Simon
Good information.  Thanks, Simon.  When I was a kid and young adult in Los Angeles, I remember how the conventional wisdom was that you can't grow mangoes in California.  I'm so happy that you all have proven that idea wrong.  Now if I had only purchased a couple of acres in San Diego County!  (Not that South Florida hasn't been good to me and my family.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:02:39 AM by johnb51 »
John

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »
Thank you for the report.

Anyone have the photos the inside of those green skin but ripe mangoes? I try to hunt down my "mystery Edward" which had most of the fruit with green skin but ripe with deep orange inside. Only the fruits that exposed to strong sun might have a little yellow shoulder.  This kind of event is the best time to match up my mystery mango.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
Spaugh,

my understanding was they would not be true to seed.  but I asked and he claimed they came from a field of only real alphonsos and therefore would be only alphonso genetics.  I guess I got scammed out of 20$  :'(

If that’s exactly what he said, he wasn’t lying but was misleading you. If the seed came from a field of only real Alphonso’s, the seedling was likely selfed with pollen from itself or a neighboring Alphonso. Their will be a rearrangement of chromosomes even when selfed because the seedling was produced from sexual reproduction and was not a clone. The resulting seedling can have all Alphonso genetics but it can look and taste completely different than a real Alphonso. This can be a good thing because Alphonso have lots of issues here such as die back, internal breakdown, lack of flavor and lack of sweetness.

Simon

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2017, 07:44:15 PM »

We are a few years away from a Mega mango festival in SoCal for CRFG members with an admission charge

:D 👍

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »
Spaugh,

If that’s exactly what he said, he wasn’t lying but was misleading you. If the seed came from a field of only real Alphonso’s, the seedling was likely selfed with pollen from itself or a neighboring Alphonso. Their will be a rearrangement of chromosomes even when selfed because the seedling was produced from sexual reproduction and was not a clone. The resulting seedling can have all Alphonso genetics but it can look and taste completely different than a real Alphonso. This can be a good thing because Alphonso have lots of issues here such as die back, internal breakdown, lack of flavor and lack of sweetness.

Simon

It is what it is, and Steve is still a good guy.  If the tree is a 20$ rootstock its not the end of the world.
Brad Spaugh

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »
I need the 2018 SoCal Mango tasting date! 😊

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
I need the 2018 SoCal Mango tasting date! 😊

I'll text you the next closes the anona tasting; there might be mangos too lol

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2017, 10:39:10 PM »
Spaugh,

Simon

It is what it is, and Steve is still a good guy.  If the tree is a 20$ rootstock its not the end of the world.

Steve is a good guy and misunderstandings happen. $20 is a good price for rootstocks and I’m very interested in how that rootstock performs at your place. You never know, you may have a new variety that could be named after you if it turns out to have a excellent fruit.

Future, we missed you at this tasting. This tasting was one of the best to date because our trees are starting to mature and the later date allowed more fruit to tree ripened.

Simon

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 01:22:01 AM »

:D 👍

I will buy my ticket the day they go on sale!

Maybe someone can host a budwood sale/exchange in the spring! (or whenever prime grafting season is)
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 01:43:06 AM »
when is prime grafting time for mango in socal?

gonna get some rootstock in the ground now and have them ready!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 08:10:53 AM »

July - September, with August being the best.
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 03:35:15 PM »

July - September, with August being the best.

You can stretch and add June this time of year forget it

Eirlis

• Lake Forest, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »

I will buy my ticket the day they go on sale!

Maybe someone can host a budwood sale/exchange in the spring! (or whenever prime grafting season is)

Me, too!!

I have a La Verne manila in ground that will be ready for grafting next year. It's amazing how much faster it's growing compared to my florida rootstock trees.