Author Topic: Jabo or Longan?  (Read 10217 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Jabo or Longan?
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »
I have room for 3 more trees in 2015.  I'm thinking Lemon Zest mango, Lisa atemoya, and either jaboticaba or longan.  Which do you prefer and why between jaboticaba and longan?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:36:28 AM by johnb51 »
John

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Room for Three More Trees in 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:33:35 PM »
I'm thinking Lemon Zest mango, Lisa atemoya, and either jaboticaba or longan.  Which do you prefer and why between jaboticaba and longan?

THE GOAT
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »
Dont know what you already have and what your favorites are.  Not knowing that,  i would say Lemon Zest of a longan.  Lisa is a top atemoya  however hand pollinating will just about be a must.  Many like jabos but out of those 4, they would be 4th on my list.  If you like jabo type fruit, maybe consider a Cambuca.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:11:51 AM »
Advantages of Jabo:
  + Small
  + Can tolerate light shade
  + Produces multiple times per year and outside of the mango season

Longans are great, but they get big. Make sure you have the space for one -- probably want at least 17 feet on all sides; more if not going to be pruning regularly.
Jeff  :-)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »
Dont know what you already have and what your favorites are.  Not knowing that,  i would say Lemon Zest of a longan.  Lisa is a top atemoya  however hand pollinating will just about be a must.  Many like jabos but out of those 4, they would be 4th on my list.  If you like jabo type fruit, maybe consider a Cambuca.

Rob, do you consider cambuca fruit superior to jaboticaba?
John

dreamfrutas

• Letīs Trade!
    • View Profile
Re: Jabo or Longan?
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »
I like both, but jabo flavor is a lot superior to longan.  Cambuca from seed will take 15-20 years to fruit.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »
That's a trick question and you already know the answer, you just want us to confirm, lol! If you only have room for three trees, of course you're going to plant all four! You know you're going to do it anyways, just plant a little closer. Happy new year!

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 04:24:02 PM »
I like both, but jabo flavor is a lot superior to longan.  Cambuca from seed will take 15-20 years to fruit.

It will not take that long to fruit from seed.  I also have access to some decent 3 foot plants that are a few years old or so.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »

Yes, in a different way.  Taste is totally different.  Fruit does not form on the trunk but on branch ends like the Vexator.  Plant is also a very ornamental plant.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 04:27:43 PM »

I prefer a Ilian, Biew Kew or Sri Chompoo Longan any day of the week.  I would not plant a Kohala.  Tastes are very subjective however to me, no comparisom between longan and jabo...longan wins hands down.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »

That is not true. I have two cambuca trees. One took 8 years to start fruiting from seed. The other one placed in more sunlight took 6 years.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »

Yes, in a different way.  Taste is totally different. Fruit does not form on the trunk but on branch ends like the Vexator.  Plant is also a very ornamental plant.
Cambuca is cauliflorous, just like jaboticaba. It doesn't fruit on branch ends. It fruits right on the branches. It won't make fruits all around main trunk though, like jaboticaba.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=411.msg4907#msg4907
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:59:50 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »
it's important to realize that when you are discussing jaboticaba, you are talking about a complex of species and varieties, unlike Longan, which is basically one species, of which you can select a variety to grow.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 05:02:51 PM »
it's important to realize that when you are discussing jaboticaba, you are talking about a complex of species and varieties, unlike Longan, which is basically one species, of which you can select a variety to grow.

Yes, you're right ofcourse. I think when people say just jaboticaba they mean usually the most common: sabara
When talking about other jaboticabas, they'll say yellow jaboticaba, red jabo, blue jabo, or will use latin name.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 05:08:37 PM »

Yes, in a different way.  Taste is totally different. Fruit does not form on the trunk but on branch ends like the Vexator.  Plant is also a very ornamental plant.
Cambuca is cauliflorous, just like jaboticaba. It doesn't fruit on branch ends. It fruits right on the branches. It won't make fruits all around main trunk though, like jaboticaba.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=411.msg4907#msg4907

That is what I meant, just didnt express it properly but whay I compared to that of Vexator.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 08:31:24 PM »
Lemon Zest, Red Jabo or Sabara jabo, and Longan.

The red jaboticaba will give you less wait time as it's more precocious than the other jabos as I understand it.

I am sure others here will disagree with me, but I think you can stick a red jabo in almost any small space--it's basically a shrub.  (Having said that, I'm a fruit hoarder)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »

The red jaboticaba will give you less wait time as it's more precocious than the other jabos as I understand it.

I am sure others here will disagree with me, but I think you can stick a red jabo in almost any small space--it's basically a shrub.  (Having said that, I'm a fruit hoarder)
They might look like a shrub for many years, but these are very long lived trees and eventually get very big.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:17 PM »
I've yet to see a Red jabo in FL taller than about 8ft.

I'm sure they can grow taller in Brazil, but I've heard they seldom exceed 10ft tall even in Brazil.

I've kept my trees (about 12yr old now at least, maybe older) in the same 25 gal pots for the past 3-4 yrs!  They've stayed less than 7ft tall.

It would be interesting to see a very old red jabo, I think the oldest I've seen was on YouTube in Brazil looked about 15ft tall....but could have been another variety.

They might look like a shrub for many years, but these are very long lived trees and eventually get very big.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:15:02 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 11:22:56 PM »
I've yet to see a Red jabo in FL taller than about 8ft.

I'm sure they can grow taller in Brazil, but I've heard they seldom exceed 10ft tall even in Brazil.

I've kept my trees (about 12yr old now at least, maybe older) in the same 25 gal pots for the past 3-4 yrs!  They've stayed less than 7ft tall.

It would be interesting to see a very old red jabo, I think the oldest I've seen was on YouTube in Brazil looked about 15ft tall....but could have been another variety.

Sorry, i wasn't clear. Was referring to Sabara jaboticaba, which can eventually get quite large.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 11:39:46 PM »
After deciding on a Jabo or a Longan, you then have to decide on the variety.

My recommendation: Longan

Now, choosing the variety is the tricky part.

My recommendation:

Braid three Longan varieties together and plant them as one tree in one hole. Will it work, who knows, but if it does, you'll be the popular owner of a fantastic Longan cocktail fruit tree.

The three Longan varieties to be braided together could be: Sri-Chompoo, Biew-Kiew and Ilian.

Choose tall, slender, young trees of approximately the same height. Make sure the planting hole is generous in size.

If a triple Braided Longan variety fruit tree is too radical, perhaps the following solution is more adequate:
2 Variety Longan Cocktail Fruit Tree: Sri-Chompoo and Biew-Kiew varieties braided together and planted in the same hole
2 Variety Longan Cocktail Fruit Tree: Ilian and Nam-Phet varieties braided together and planted in the same hole

Heck! I'm considering doing something like this myself since I'm also at a loss of yard space!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:52:39 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 02:18:54 AM »

My recommendation:

Braid three Longan varieties together and plant them as one tree in one hole. Will it work, who knows, but if it does, you'll be the popular owner of a fantastic Longan cocktail fruit tree.

The three Longan varieties to be braided together could be: Sri-Chompoo, Biew-Kiew and Ilian.

Choose tall, slender, young trees of approximately the same height. Make sure the planting hole is generous in size.

If a triple Braided Longan variety fruit tree is too radical, perhaps the following solution is more adequate:
2 Variety Longan Cocktail Fruit Tree: Sri-Chompoo and Biew-Kiew varieties braided together and planted in the same hole
2 Variety Longan Cocktail Fruit Tree: Ilian and Nam-Phet varieties braided together and planted in the same hole

Heck! I'm considering doing something like this myself since I'm also at a loss of yard space!

I'm wth Leo on this, Longan are a much better fruit than jaboticaba to my taste. I have chompoo and Kohala. They are pretty easy to keep small and take pruning well. Definitely not as nice as lychees but not very distant from them.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »
haha I think they key word there is "eventually," which in Florida probably loosely translates to 50+ years :-). Mine is somewhere around 30 years old and still only 15 or so feet tall, having never been pruned.

Sorry, i wasn't clear. Was referring to Sabara jaboticaba, which can eventually get quite large.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
haha I think they key word there is "eventually," which in Florida probably loosely translates to 50+ years :-). Mine is somewhere around 30 years old and still only 15 or so feet tall, having never been pruned.

These trees live longer than people. For example, do you remember photos of 80 year old M. coronata that Ricardo just posted in another thread? I have photos also of 100+ year old sabaras. Definitely not shrubs.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 09:22:02 PM »
hahah yah, my guess is that the original poster isn't concerned about his great-great-great-great grandchildren having to trim the jaboticaba :-). By the time the thing gets to 20 feet tall, OP will be meeting his maker and FL will be under water (so say the global warming proponents :-).

These trees live longer than people. For example, do you remember photos of 80 year old M. coronata that Ricardo just posted in another thread? I have photos also of 100+ year old sabaras. Definitely not shrubs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 01:51:32 AM »
hahah yah, my guess is that the original poster isn't concerned about his great-great-great-great grandchildren having to trim the jaboticaba :-). By the time the thing gets to 20 feet tall, OP will be meeting his maker and FL will be under water (so say the global warming proponents :-).

I'm sure you're right. But it's like calling a sequoia tree a shrub, just because it will stay small during first 20 years doesn't make it a shrub.
BTW, i think your jaboticaba tree being only 15 feet tall in 30 years is unusually small. On most soils in 30 years i think they would be at least twice that size.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 10:55:51 AM »
Good old south florida soil for ya :-). How big was whitman's before they trimmed it?

I'm sure you're right. But it's like calling a sequoia tree a shrub, just because it will stay small during first 20 years doesn't make it a shrub.
BTW, i think your jaboticaba tree being only 15 feet tall in 30 years is unusually small. On most soils in 30 years i think they would be at least twice that size.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »
Found the picture: http://toptropicals.com/pics/garden/04/fruit/1005.jpg

Looks like maybe 20 feet tall judging by the height of the observers.The trunk on that thing looks like it's at least 40 years old. 6 inches per year is roughly what I get on mine.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 01:12:36 AM »
I agree, you're going to end up getting both anyway. Why bother going back and forth. :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 01:23:09 AM »
Jabos or longans? Too vastly different fruits. Its like grapes or melons. Which one do you like better? Really i like them both. As cookiemonster pointed out the longan gets a whole lot larger and is a much faster grower. So it depends on how much space you have? Jaboticabas are easy to sneak into small spaces, and red jaboticabas can even be fruited in pots. So yes, you can probably grow both.
Oscar

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »
Taste- wise, i also prefer  and recommend Longan over Jaboticaba.  Though if space is the deciding factor, then Longan grows big and may not even be an option for you.

Question back to forum members: is Super Lisa much different from just Lisa and if so what is so super about it?

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »

My recommendation:

I'm wth Leo on this, Longan are a much better fruit than jaboticaba to my taste. I have chompoo and Kohala. They are pretty easy to keep small and take pruning well. Definitely not as nice as lychees but not very distant from them.

Thanks Starling1, the Longan industry in South Florida is really starting to get serious with all the different quality varieties that are available right now.

I agree with you, although Longan is less sensational than Lychee, I find the fruit to be refreshing and addictive in a good way. Once I start eating the fruit, I just want to go on and eat the whole tree.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »
"If a triple Braided Longan variety fruit tree is too radical, perhaps the following solution is more adequate:
2 Variety Longan Cocktail Fruit Tree: Sri-Chompoo and Biew-Kiew varieties braided together and planted in the same hole"

Leo,
I like the idea of planting 2 longan variety in the same hole. Any reason why you pair Biew-Kiew with Sri-Chompo? I already have 3G Chompo, so, am contemplating of getting BKiew...
Thanks!
Sam

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »
I rate longan much higher on aesthetics especially when blooming and then holding fruit. For a reminder go to google or bing images and look at longan vs jaboticaba.
So I would plant longan and have red jabo in a pot. Same as others have suggested
Jabo will be producing but when a slot opens up in a few years you plant it
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:13:20 PM by zands »

Tuckee

• Malaysia, Penang, Rainforest
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:47 PM »
This may not be relevant to the other side of the earth, just to share my yet validated experience. Last month I bought a longan tree from a fruit plants fair, it was a dwarf Ping Pong longan.  Allegedly, the tree would grow taller than 6ft, will start fruiting by 3ft in about 2-3 years. The fruits are very sweet n the size of ping pong, or table tennis, ball. The plant is only about 6",...long way to go. I am not a big fan of longan but this just too good to ignore.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 02:18:05 AM »
"If a triple Braided Longan variety fruit tree is too radical, perhaps the following solution is more adequate:
2 Variety Longan Cocktail Fruit Tree: Sri-Chompoo and Biew-Kiew varieties braided together and planted in the same hole"

Leo,
I like the idea of planting 2 longan variety in the same hole. Any reason why you pair Biew-Kiew with Sri-Chompo? ...
Thanks!

Thanks, my reasoning is that their quality is somewhat similar. One of them has a slightly higher quality than the other, but I forget which one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:27:00 AM by LEOOEL »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 02:55:30 AM »
Tuckee getting a longan to fruit in Penang would be an achievement as most types need temps around 10c to trigger proper flowering.Biew kiew seems to be the variety that most consistently finds favour with consumers.
Jaboticabas can be kept smaller than longans and I prefer jaboticabas myself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 05:09:01 PM »
Tuckee getting a longan to fruit in Penang would be an achievement as most types need temps around 10c to trigger proper flowering.Biew kiew seems to be the variety that most consistently finds favour with consumers.
Jaboticabas can be kept smaller than longans and I prefer jaboticabas myself.
The type of longan he bought, Ping Pong, is one that will fruit without any chill...similar to Diamond River.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk