Author Topic: Fruit trees few feet from inground pool ?  (Read 15425 times)

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
Fruit trees few feet from inground pool ?
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:24:10 AM »
Few months ago I too started planting tropical fruit trees in my tiny backyard in Palm Beach County, FL.
Soon all space is used up, and I have been thinking about planting more in a narrow long space behind an inground pool (typical in South Florida), which will be 3 to 4 feet from the edge of the pool.

The problem is that I am afraid of the root system damaging the pool. I would much appreciate advice about this situation. Specifically

Any tropical or subtropical fruit tree or bush that has a weak root system to avoid the risk ?

Is 3 - 4 feet too close to the edge of the pool ? I would hate to have to pay 1000s in repairs in few years.

Is this a bad idea ?

Thank you all !

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit trees few feet from inground pool ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:14:58 AM »
I grow bananas in the in ground decorative grow areas next to my pool. Their root system is not damaging. I don't know about other varieties, but seems right to be cautious about that.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
Bananas are one of the safest things to grow regading roots as they are basically a giant type of grass.  Another type of grass would be sugar cane. Do NOT plant avocado or citrus near the pool those roots are invasive and very tough.     

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
Trees

I have 3 mango trees planted probably within 5feet of my pool.
My understanding is the mango roots go deep......at least I
Hope that's true!

Gary

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »
I have had two avocados and a tamarind within I'd say 10-12 feet from the pool.  So far, no problem.  I think the roots may move down hill, from the top of the elevated portion of the property (the house pad essentially) where the pool and patio are located and down to the lower, more moist mucky non elevated areas of the yard.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
I have Jaboticaba , Rambuttan , black zapote , litchee , longan surrounding 3 sides , all at a minimum of 2 to 3 meters from the pool , so far no problems.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:08:10 PM »
Thank you sunworshiper and SWRancher for your advice about bananas, i have two dwarf bananas in containers and will plant them in that area.  i was thinking about planting kumquat, will keep it in the container.

MangoFang, how old and big are your mango trees near the pool ?  thanks for your reply.

HMHausman, luc, i would also feel safer with 10+ feet or at least 2 meters.  Unfortunately, i have only a narrow strip of land in that area, so the farthest would be 3-4 feet or about one meter.  thanks for your reply.

I guess i will have to limit to bananas and possibly small bushes or tiny trees like miracle fruit.

Was also wondering about feijoa since it can be kept small.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »
Does anyone have input to the effect of pruning the tree and what it does to the root system.

For example, if you plant citrus next to pool and let it grow 18 feet tall as opposed to keeping it constantly pruned like a shrub/bush. Surely the root systems would be different. (Don't call me Shirley).

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:46:45 PM »
Trees

The trees range from 2-3 years old, so I guess no real testing of the invasive roots theory yet!
I would really, logically think, they are going to head to where there is damp earth and not be
pushing so hard against a thick concrete pool wall.  I mean if they were within 18 - 20 inches
of it I could see way way down the line, perhaps in 25-30 years you may have a problem.

I mean look at all the people that plant mango trees right up against there house and I've yet
to here any damage reports from them......

Call me gullible GARY

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »
I wouldn't recommend trees that will grow large like, mangos, avocados, mamey, etc.

Two to three feet away from the pool I would recommend trees like banana and papaya.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 04:10:29 AM »
I second the advice about plants like bananas. My largest banana is in an 80 gallon plastic rain barrel and it's not even stressing that. If a plastic rain barrel can take its roots, then a pool definitely can!  :)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 07:09:17 AM »
Various fruiting palm trees like banana, don't have very large or invasive roots.
Coconut, Acai etc.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 07:35:01 AM »
Various fruiting palm trees like banana, don't have very large or invasive roots.
Coconut, Acai etc.

???

Bananas are not palms, and palms have reasonably aggressive roots. They're both monocots, but that's about as close as the relationship is - bananas are Zingiberales like ginger and canna lilies while palms are Arecales like... well, palms.  ;) Palms are woody and form from a single seed, while bananas are herbaceous (among the largest herbaceous plants in the world) and form (when not sexually reproducing) from a corm in a similar manner to grass.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:44:33 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »
Does anyone have input to the effect of pruning the tree and what it does to the root system.

For example, if you plant citrus next to pool and let it grow 18 feet tall as opposed to keeping it constantly pruned like a shrub/bush. Surely the root systems would be different. (Don't call me Shirley).
I would like to know the answer to this question too.

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
I just finished digging out two elderberry trees 5-6 feet away from the pool at my sisters house and the roots definitely were on the verge of doing some damage. It took three days of digging, a broken axe and a pile of worn outsawzall blades to get it all out. I never realized how hard elderberry wood is...

The space will be replanted with a few different bananas.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »
Coconut, Acai etc.

Coconut roots can bust the toughest containers. Also you don't want fronds and nuts falling all over your pool?
I think containers next to pool look really great. I've seen lots of people plant dwarf citrus next to pools, and then containers can be moved as necessary. If you must plant in ground then use temporary cash crops, like pineapples, papayas, bananas, all with small root mass, and produce at very young age, and can be easily removed if need be.
Oscar

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 02:05:39 AM »
Coconut, Acai etc.

???

Bananas are not palms, and palms have reasonably aggressive roots. They're both monocots, but that's about as close as the relationship is - bananas are Zingiberales like ginger and canna lilies while palms are Arecales like... well, palms.  ;) Palms are woody and form from a single seed, while bananas are herbaceous (among the largest herbaceous plants in the world) and form (when not sexually reproducing) from a corm in a similar manner to grass.

Looking back at what I wrote, it could be interpreted that way.  That is not what I meant! ;D I meant, "In addition to bananas..."

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
Thank you very much everybody for the wealth of advice.  It looks like bananas, papayas, pineapples are fairly safe.  Everything else is iffy and better kept in containers rather than few feet from inground pool.  Although chance of pool damage is small for small fruit trees and if trees are kept small in any case, so the final decision depends on personal level of comfort with this risk.  Thanks again !

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »
Muscadine vines would look good. They are shallow rooted so I doubt would be a problem for your pool. You could always plant the vines as far from the pool as possible and then have them reach onto a double wire trellis.

You could plant shallow rooted fruit trees as far from the pool as possible then have them reach onto a trellis closer to the pool. Carambola is good for espalier like this. So could other fruit trees. I have not read up on how extensive carambola roots can get.

If you have a powerful lawn edger you could dig a trench quickly. Or dig with a pickaxe. Fill with concrete. This will deter all shallow roots. So shallow rooted trees should be OK

You could make a concrete barrier like this for each tree. This will encourage them to root over into your neighbors yard 8)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »
I'm now in a similar situation. Taking out a couple queen palms. Anyone want to update opinions? I like the idea of litchi and longan. And mango. Sugarcane and banana are interesting. Jackfruit roots too invasive?

Edit: love the idea of jaboticaba too, will probably get that going amongst whatever else I plant but it'll be tiny and so slow growing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:33:21 AM by shaneatwell »
Shane

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
Simple, lose the pool and plant trees where it was :-)

Regards,

Gary

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 02:19:22 PM »
Yeah...my daughter would kill me. Maybe after she goes off to college.
Shane

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
Simple, lose the pool and plant trees where it was :-)

Was thinking the same thing. Tree > pool
Quentin

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 02:52:10 PM »
Planting too close to cement can cause nutrient deficiency issues (cement is alkaline).
Jeff  :-)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 03:10:53 PM »
Yeah...my daughter would kill me. Maybe after she goes off to college.

I knew of a house that they filled the pool with dirt and planted veggies. That way they could technically keep the pool for resale and have a veggie garden... "food for thought" :-)
Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk