Author Topic: How much cold can citrus trees tolerate  (Read 14318 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: How much cold can citrus trees tolerate
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
Look at that happy grapefruit.  :)

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:42 PM »
I'm in Knoxville frequently and would also like to know where this cemetery grapefruit tree is.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
Interestingly, January '17 we had a period of sudden freezes here in Houston TX after an extended period of temps in the 70's.  Trees were not hardened off. Temps fell into the upper 20's precipitously.  Different Citrus responded uniquely: 
1  Meyer Lemons all froze on the tree and the tree is against the south side of the house.  Tree suffered leaf burn but not much else.  its a mature (+15 year) old tree.  All crop was lost. 
2. Moro blood orange and bloomsweet grapefruit, which are away from the house on the north side, were all fine except for some minor leaf burn. Fruit unaffected. Same with the ujukitsu orange.
3. 20+ year old Meiwa kumquat kicked all its leaves and it is in a protected area between my and the neighbors house.
4. My 2 satsumas were totally unaffected.

Brazos belle avocado that's grafted onto a volunteer hass avocado stump didn't even get leaf burn and it's next to the Meyer lemon.

That was pretty much our winter.  Now I'm seeing a third flush of blooms on my Meyer lemon and it had never had more than one bloom flush before.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »
The only thing that survived this winter here unscathed without electric heat for protection was my Dunstan citrumelos that had no protection at all. All other cold hardy hybrids with Ichang or trifoliate heritage got knocked to the ground after a 14 degree night and a 16 degree night in late March after mild February.