Author Topic: New plantings have begun!  (Read 10698 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Re: New plantings have begun!
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »
In Davie all natives are protected. You cannot cut anything down legally unless a non native and the canopy must be replaced. Davie and SW Ranches are pretty much all the Open space left in Browsrd

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 11:43:54 PM »
I don't know... I've seen several gardens consisting primarily of non-natives (mostly fruit trees) that have quite an abundance of wildlife -- including my own yard. One sort of has to fight off the wildlife to preserve their crop down here.

IFAS has an interesting article on the topic of natives vs exotics. A couple of interesting points that they make are:

0) The belief that natives utilize less input (eg, water, fertilzer) than exotics is not supported by recent research
 1) The belief that native trees are more pest resistant is also not correct, since exotic pests are regularly introduced

The only valid / strong argument for using native trees, according to the IFAS article, is that it serves as an educational tool to teach folks about the natural plants of the area.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/eh157

Forcing / pushing everyone to plant native for purely pedagogical purposes seems a bit overboard to me.

In California, where it takes the native trees (eg, oaks) hundreds of years to get big, protecting the native trees is much more important.

Actually Jeff, that list of approved trees is more than 50% native trees. Which support much more wildlife than fruit trees do.

Im not trying to be critical of anybody, but before you cut down a beautiful tree just because it doesnt produce fruit for you, I recommend you stop and think.

And if you have the space I always recommend planting something native, especially is a marginal area like along a lake shore or a long a shade strip of yard.
Jeff  :-)

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »
The planting continues, just got done repotting and grafting and taking care of customers so just put In a Giant e-15 carambola, (fruit is giant not the tree) 2- Oro Negro avocados, now taking. Break and the gonna plant 2-Hialeah Red cados! Then I have to decide. What's next!!!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 02:33:17 PM »
Cool!
Do mamey sapote trees do well in your property? Just curious.
Alexi

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »
Cool!
Do mamey sapote trees do well in your property? Just curious.
They don't like my mucky soil. They tent to get clorotic

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
 Rapoza, 2-Hialeah Reds, and CAC, that is it for today. No more digging! MillerTime

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
Started my new plantings today, so far: Silas Woods, Hasya, Alano,Morena,Molix Sapodilla, mangos, Yai Grom, France's Hargrave, Cabesa, Kaimana lychee, 2-big red sugar apples, Miami Soursop, FernAndez custard aplle now some rest!!

Mike (or others), What do you know about cabesa mango? 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
How have the Hawaiian avocado varieties done for you so far?  I've gotten some of them as well and will be trying them out here in California.  (Are those Hawaiian varieties common in Florida?  I assume not, but I have no idea.)

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »
How have the Hawaiian avocado varieties done for you so far?  I've gotten some of them as well and will be trying them out here in California.  (Are those Hawaiian varieties common in Florida?  I assume not, but I have no idea.)

They are filtering in, but haven't been, and are not currently popular.  Carlos' tests are inspiring us though
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »

The only one I have any experience with is Nishikawa.  It seems to be one that grows well and will be, at the very least, productive for the backyard grower.  The only issue I see is trying to figure out the right time to harvest them here.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »
I don't know... I've seen several gardens consisting primarily of non-natives (mostly fruit trees) that have quite an abundance of wildlife -- including my own yard. One sort of has to fight off the wildlife to preserve their crop down here.

IFAS has an interesting article on the topic of natives vs exotics. A couple of interesting points that they make are:

0) The belief that natives utilize less input (eg, water, fertilzer) than exotics is not supported by recent research
 1) The belief that native trees are more pest resistant is also not correct, since exotic pests are regularly introduced

The only valid / strong argument for using native trees, according to the IFAS article, is that it serves as an educational tool to teach folks about the natural plants of the area.

Forcing / pushing everyone to plant native for purely pedagogical purposes seems a bit overboard to me.

In California, where it takes the native trees (eg, oaks) hundreds of years to get big, protecting the native trees is much more important.

Jeff,

Thanks for posting that information. I never understood the "native" plant obsession since natives are defined usually by some arbitrary date. If municipalities want to plant natives on public lands, that is fine but there is no reason they should have any say on what I plant, don't plant, or remove on private property.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »

Jeff,

Thanks for posting that information. I never understood the "native" plant obsession since natives are defined usually by some arbitrary date. If municipalities want to plant natives on public lands, that is fine but there is no reason they should have any say on what I plant, don't plant, or remove on private property.

I agree with you 100 percent.
Alexi

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »
And note that Cyprus trees the one guy talked about cutting down, those are protected trees in most places and you will need a special permit if it is even given. Where I live in Central FL, good luck, even if it isnt a tree wetland and just a rain collection spot during the rainy season. If it has a Cyprus, you get to build your property around it, no ifs ands or buts. Oh and don't think the Dept of Natural Resources doesn't know where every bloody Cyprus tree is in occupied areas. My friend made that mistake, it was a very expensive mistake.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
And note that Cyprus trees the one guy talked about cutting down, those are protected trees in most places and you will need a special permit if it is even given. Where I live in Central FL, good luck, even if it isnt a tree wetland and just a rain collection spot during the rainy season. If it has a Cyprus, you get to build your property around it, no ifs ands or buts. Oh and don't think the Dept of Natural Resources doesn't know where every bloody Cyprus tree is in occupied areas. My friend made that mistake, it was a very expensive mistake.

If you see any cyprus seedlings sprouting in your property, rip it out and walk away whistling like if nothing happened. lol   ;)
Alexi

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
No joke. A few official groups are allowed to cut them down. My drainage district is allowed to cut them to keep the canal banks clear. I would prefer them allow them to grow.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »

Jeff,

[/quote]

Totally agree.  I think there is a misguided notion that non-natives are all invasive.  Obviously, invasive species are destructive, but that's not what non-natives or "exotics" are.  Sure, some may be invasive, but many are not.  I would rather see them incentivize to get what they want rather than taking away landowner rights.  This country is only free when it wants to be.  Stay out of my yard!!   
~Jeff