Author Topic: Potted fruiting durian in a greenhouse  (Read 2009 times)

chuckliu

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
Potted fruiting durian in a greenhouse
« on: June 16, 2019, 05:35:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

New member here. I live in Hawai'i, and feel very blessed to be here with all the fruit options. However, at some point, I will be moving back to the mainland, possibly to zone 5 or 6, and have been doing lots of research on growing in greenhouses. I've seen the hard work that Jay is doing in Ohio, and would love to take everyone along for the ride when it happens :).

I've seen the Mango greenhouse in Hokkaido Japan (super cold!) but have found very little information on growing durians in greenhouses, for good reason, given their growing habits. However, the dream is still alive! I present to you, a *fruiting* and *potted* durian from Okinawa. Granted, it's a lot warmer down there, but this means with the right temperature management, it is possible!!

https://www.atpress.ne.jp/news/163015

Looking forward to learning from everyone :).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Potted fruiting durian in a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 07:20:11 AM »
Okinawa and Miami are about same latitude. Fruiting durian in a pot is an achievement though, if that's what it says? Hard to read that page link, unless you know japanese language?
Oscar

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 07:46:41 AM »
use google translate.  cost about $7 dollar to get in to see it.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 08:17:40 AM »
This makes sure that everything is possible! In Russia, many of  bring durian and jackfruit seeds from Thailand and then try to grow them in potted houses. Jackfruit many enter the phase of flowering and fruiting, but durian usually dies at the age of one year.
❀ Sergey ❀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 04:19:30 AM »
This makes sure that everything is possible! In Russia, many of  bring durian and jackfruit seeds from Thailand and then try to grow them in potted houses. Jackfruit many enter the phase of flowering and fruiting, but durian usually dies at the age of one year.
Thanks, but i was able to translate the web page for free using this google translate page:
http://itools.com/tool/google-translate-web-page-translator
Although they have small fruits on the trees, not certain that the fruits will mature, or will be of good quality when mature.
As an aside, a friend told me that a Thai worker in Israel was able to get a durian tree there to fruit. Israelis had attempted many times but never succeeded.
Latitude in Haifa, Israel 32N. Okinawa 26N, Miami 25N.
Oscar

chuckliu

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:11:41 PM »
If/when I get my geothermal greenhouse up and running, I will be attempting at 41.8 in Chicago. At that latitude, I suspect I’ll need some lights. Going for the record...

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 01:14:35 AM »
lost 7 durians so far at 8.5 degrees N...  If anyone can do it in a greenhouse the Japanese can, maybe you should wait for a report on their fruiting.  Make sure your medium has some sand, avoid clay.

If you are going to try, at least pick the strongest seeds, off hand I can think of Mongthong and Chanee as being strong rootstock. 

chuckliu

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 01:40:28 AM »
That post was last year and I haven’t seen an update on it. The time lapse was cool though. I plan on being in ground. Thinking of whether I would need to heat the soil in addition to the ambient air...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 01:45:36 AM »
That post was last year and I haven’t seen an update on it. The time lapse was cool though. I plan on being in ground. Thinking of whether I would need to heat the soil in addition to the ambient air...
Yes you would need to heat the soil. Soil temperature is even more important than air temperature.
Oscar

chuckliu

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 04:43:05 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts! I see that you're on the Big Island... I currently fly out there once a week for work. Maybe, if you're up for it, let's one day connect and head down to the farm where I'm hoping to get some Durian in Pahoa :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk