Author Topic: A neat all White Leaf Shoot on Variegated Pink Eureka Lemon  (Read 1487 times)

obrady

• TX
    • View Profile
Hey guys, just picked up a couple of these Variegated Pink Eureka Lemon trees in 5gal.  One tree has an all white shoot that I think is pretty rad.  The newest growth off that shoot has a purple hue to it.  Anyone else growing this variety?  I have read that they don't set very many fruit but I already have a regular lemon tree that produces way too many.  Can't wait to make fresh lemonade with this and the 'pink lemonade' blueberries I'm growing  ;D

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 09:01:41 PM by obrady »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: A neat all White Leaf Shoot on Variegated Pink Eureka Lemon
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »
Awesome, it will be interesting to see if the purplish  shoot matures remains purple or if it turns white when it matures.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 05:18:21 PM »
I had one in a lot but it was a poor fruit setter.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »
They are particular as to fruit set. If all conditions are good the fruit set will be good too. If one is off.....but....if you want a real lemon that will bear plenty.....plant a Eurema or Lisbon.....all the quality lemons a man could use.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:17:17 AM »
The white shoot will die off.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »
mine dyed too.

obrady

• TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 05:11:33 PM »
The white shoot will die off.

Makes sense as they need the green leaves containing chlorophyll to absorb the right spectrums of light.  I wish it weren't so and I could magically air layer this off and have an all white citrus tree.

obrady

• TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »
Awesome, it will be interesting to see if the purplish  shoot matures remains purple or if it turns white when it matures.

Yeah!  As a preliminary update..it does appear the purple leaves are slowly changing all white as they grow.  Will post pics assuming the shoot survives these storms we're getting in coastal TX right now.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 10:53:54 AM »
The purple new flush is normal, it changes to regular.  The tree is a eureka by the way.  Its very vigirous and prolific fruiter in my yard.  Buckets of lemons all year.
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 07:18:21 AM »
FYI,

I had a white/yellow branch on my tree that did well for a year. It grew to about 3 feet with many smaller branches and it even had 2 fruits. I tried to grow the fruits (all light yellow skin from start to finish) but seeds never made it. After 1 year the large branch (3/8") eventually got sun burned looking and it dried up and died. I still get smaller growth of these white/yellow branches on my tree regularly and also one or so fruits on it. I would share photo but it was 5yrs ago when it had the large branches. Now its just a small 1 ft branch that is white/yellow and it turns brown like it was sunburned and dies off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk