Author Topic: Hybrid Jaboticaba Question  (Read 2596 times)

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Hybrid Jaboticaba Question
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
A question for Oscar, Adam, or any other Jabotiphile:

I recently purchased seeds of the fast-growing, red-fruited hybrid jaboticaba Oscar sells.  They've just begun sprouting, and it occurred to me that I don't know much about this hybrid.  Oscar's label indicated that they are a hybrid of M. cauliflora x M. aureana, I believe, but does anyone know when the cross was made, and by whom?  I assume that Oscar's tree(s) is/are of the F2 or later generation, and that the seeds he sells are F3 or later.  Is that correct?  Has anyone noted much variablility among these trees, or are the progeny of this cross fairly well stabilized at this point?  Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject.
James

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Hybrid Jaboticaba Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:27:08 PM »
good questions,

u seem enthusiastic about this tree.

I heard some dude in japan made the cross about 20-30 yrs ago...but I may be way off.

the hybrid looks very stable to me', but is capable of variations in fruit size and leaf size, I'm sure...I'm wondering if this is a species,not a hybrid...and naturally occurring in Brazil.

I thought hybrids don't usually produce viable seeds?  oh well...I just grow em and eat em...the rest is getting too complex for my monkey mind.

hope my ramblings may guide u to a more informative and lucid forum member.

P.S. this isn't a real discussion until jabomano shows up, and/or until I get in a heated debate with Oscar! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:04:53 PM by Adam Shafran »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:59:47 AM »
A question for Oscar, Adam, or any other Jabotiphile:

I recently purchased seeds of the fast-growing, red-fruited hybrid jaboticaba Oscar sells.  They've just begun sprouting, and it occurred to me that I don't know much about this hybrid.  Oscar's label indicated that they are a hybrid of M. cauliflora x M. aureana, I believe, but does anyone know when the cross was made, and by whom?  I assume that Oscar's tree(s) is/are of the F2 or later generation, and that the seeds he sells are F3 or later.  Is that correct?  Has anyone noted much variablility among these trees, or are the progeny of this cross fairly well stabilized at this point?  Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject.

It's not 100% certain that the parents are cauliflora and aureana, but that is the guess of experts in Brazil. Yes the cross was made by a Japanese gardener living in Japan, but don't know much about it's history apart from that. The hybrid seems stable, but i haven't planted hundreds of plants yet, not enough to notice any variations. Adam, i don't think it's a new species because it came out of someone's garden not found growing wild in natural habitat. OK, let's see how much that statement can generate inside of you? HAHA
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »
no argument here!  just happy to have more fruits than I know what to do with. :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk