Author Topic: Lychee on Longan OR Lychee on Lychee/Longan on Longan Grafts  (Read 6784 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Has anyone tried Lychee grafts on Longan OR lthe cultivators on same plants, lychee on lychee, longan on longan or cross breed?

My grafts (lychee on longan) and (longan on longan) are hanging in there with no positive results yet. I will keep you posted. Weather here is turning warm now and this may be time Lychee scions push hard.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee on Longan OR Lychee on Lychee/Longan on Longan Grafts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:43:23 PM »
Haven't tried it. Curious about what the benefit would be though?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »
Jsvand,

Behl has a mature Longan tree growing in the ground. I think he wants some tasty lychees fruiting off some branches of the tree. Also I would think that if lychee is compatible with longan it would be good rootstock for cooler climates and less then optimal soil conditions for the lychee. Longans seem to do very well in SoCal, lychees are more temperamental.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
Thats correct Nullzero. Longans from my tree prduce well whereas my lychee is very small, may not fruit for another year or two. Also not sure what effect Longan Rootstock will have on Lychee production here in So Cal, plus its excitement of "Find Out" what happens.

I got cross breeding in apples/pears, apricots/plums/cherry with great success.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
Behl,

I have a 1 year old airlayer flowering and looks like it may fruit this year... I think the mother plant had a lot to do with this... I got the airlayer from ebay from an old Hak Ip mother tree.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
My sweetheart lychee (tiny 4' plant) flowered too, but it had no leaves so I removed all blooms per Boards recommendation. Now new growth with leaves is in full swing, I cant take any more scions out as there is nothing left there, LOL

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
My sweetheart lychee (tiny 4' plant) flowered too, but it had no leaves so I removed all blooms per Boards recommendation. Now new growth with leaves is in full swing, I cant take any more scions out as there is nothing left there, LOL

I should probably remove the blooms as well, the air layer is only 1 1/2 ft tall.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
I would if I was you, the stems are so thin that plant doesnt have strength to support any fruint, plus root system is not there yet.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
I believe Ronald from GW may have top worked some of his older Lychee trees.  I did a little bit of searching on the web a while back and the person I spoke with at the Hilo research station in Hawaii said that Lychee grafted onto lychee( the link I pasted in your other Topic) should be pretty simple if you get the timing right and catch the tree at the correct time. 

I wonder if grafting Lychee onto Longan rootstock will compromise the taste of the resulting Lychee fruit?  I don't imagine that a Lychee with some Longan flavor will be desirable tasting but who knows?  If your experiment works and you get the strong growth of the Longan on your Lychee graft and the resulting fruit taste like what the grafted Lychee cultivar is supposed to taste like, it would be very very exciting!  I'm most eager to find out if the new vegetative growth on the grafted Lychee will be more tolerant of wind?  If the Longan rootstock can somehow increase the growth rate of new vegetative flush on the Lychee, this can be very beneficial.  The new Lychee leaves are most prone to dessicating and high winds and the less time they spend in this vulnerable stage, the better. 

I have read that there are natural crosses between Lychee and Longan but I do not recall any descriptions of the resulting fruit.
Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »
I believe Ronald from GW may have top worked some of his older Lychee trees.  I did a little bit of searching on the web a while back and the person I spoke with at the Hilo research station in Hawaii said that Lychee grafted onto lychee( the link I pasted in your other Topic) should be pretty simple if you get the timing right and catch the tree at the correct time. 

I wonder if grafting Lychee onto Longan rootstock will compromise the taste of the resulting Lychee fruit?  I don't imagine that a Lychee with some Longan flavor will be desirable tasting but who knows?  If your experiment works and you get the strong growth of the Longan on your Lychee graft and the resulting fruit taste like what the grafted Lychee cultivar is supposed to taste like, it would be very very exciting!  I'm most eager to find out if the new vegetative growth on the grafted Lychee will be more tolerant of wind?  If the Longan rootstock can somehow increase the growth rate of new vegetative flush on the Lychee, this can be very beneficial.  The new Lychee leaves are most prone to dessicating and high winds and the less time they spend in this vulnerable stage, the better. 

I have read that there are natural crosses between Lychee and Longan but I do not recall any descriptions of the resulting fruit.
Simon
That would be a sweet cliff and you can definitely taste the longan flavor in the lychee.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:49:45 PM »
I haven't tried it myself but read that lychee is compatible onto some longan rootstock. Longans are hardier trees... can take more cold, so that would be one benefit. It is also possible to hybridize longan and lychee flowers, takes are very few, but some fruits will result, but with sterile seeds.
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:55:21 AM »
Well, I got grafts going, I will keep all updated

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »
So, theoretically, you could graft selections of lychee, longan, native longan (D. australianus) and isau (D. melanesius) onto a longan tree and have fruit for some 8 months of the year? Sounds like a tasty tree!  ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:39 AM »
So, theoretically, you could graft selections of lychee, longan, native longan (D. australianus) and isau (D. melanesius) onto a longan tree and have fruit for some 8 months of the year? Sounds like a tasty tree!  ;D

Alupag is compatible onto longan, so i would think isau is also. So could probably work, especially if you use longan is intermediary between lychee and alupag. Don't know about D. australianus. How close is that to longan?
So cocktail trees are possible, but have never seen it done even with different cultivars of lychee one one lychee tree or different cultivars of longan on one longan tree.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:30 AM »
Native longan is very close to longan. Fruit is same, but smaller. Like a few of the other Dimocarps it suffers from a poor flesh to seed ratio. Some selection could make it a popular edible native here. Also why grafting to Longan sounds interesting. Also fruits at a different time to other longans, as does issau (later). I cant rememebr when alupag fruits, but it would probably extend harvest further. Maybe making a giant Dimocarp cocktail tree could be a fun project, in a fruity frankenstein kinda way.

I've heard the giant seedless lychee grafts easily, so its one you might be able to top work other trees with once it arrives on your shores (surely not long with the relatively relaxed quarantine laws there?)...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:24:25 AM »
The esarn longan and esarn lynchee (see simply thai) are good cool tolerant fruit and I don't know their species names.They should be the first ones grafted to the frankenstein tree.