Author Topic: Makok sapodilla! one of the best for container in Central FL  (Read 28560 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Makok sapodilla! one of the best for container in Central FL
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:05:59 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jb_fla

• View Profile
Re: Makok sapodilla! one of the best for container in Central FL
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »
I have had an in-ground Makok in Central Fla for 3 years now.  It does not have much vertical growth, only 3' tall, but is about 5'x5' wide.  It flowers profusely but I have had poor fruit set.  Only one fruit in 3 years.  I agree the taste is very good.  I plan on adding a Hasya.

Marcus

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
My makok is going on 7 years old. Mine has been an incredibly prolific producer. It bears in clusters, with 3 to 5 fruits per terminal. If you thin the fruit, they are bigger and taste better.

It's not uncommon for a makok to bear fruit at only 1 foot tall in a 1 gallon pot.

Jeff
Jeff  :-)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
Jeff

your Makok looks like a christmas tree!! how big big is that tree and  do you thin out fruits?

JF

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
:-) It must be about 12 or 13 feet tall. I'll try to take a picture of the tree tomorrow. I hacked off the top once already.

I don't thin the fruits - I'm too lazy :-). The raccoons do a great job of 'thinning' the fruit for me though... :-(

Jeff

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
:-) It must be about 12 or 13 feet tall. I'll try to take a picture of the tree tomorrow. I hacked off the top once already.

I don't thin the fruits - I'm too lazy :-). The raccoons do a great job of 'thinning' the fruit for me though... :-(

Jeff

Jeff!!!!!! :o :o :o

Can I audition for the "Next American Raccoon Idol"? and help thin your fruits like a real bushy tailed, black masked, furry bandit of the night? ;D ;D ;D

I pay for fruits as well, if no auditions are being held ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:21 AM »
Whoah....drooling!
That's one of the things I'm looking to add this year, a sapodilla but Hasya though.
Tim

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
Great growing guys!
Marcus- I don't have a Makok, but my "Prolific" took a few years to really start being a prolific producer.  Not sure why some people have all the luck with early heavy crops!
Maybe the fertilizer schedule?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:49:55 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »
Adam,

Looks like it needs some lime juice squeezed onto those slices  :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 01:48:52 PM »
The other great one for container culture is the silas woods. It's very similar with small fruit and very sweet / no grid but with a white flesh. 2 sweet for me. Someone needs to brix test them babies.

makok fruit I found that ripened on the tree.  Had one seed.

It tasted intensely sweet...too much for my girlfriend...who agreed it had a canistel flavor this time, and reminded her of butterscotch, which she don't like.

I found the fruit to be one of my favorites.  I eat skin and all...and enjoy the small size...easy to conceal, but a formidable ferociously sweet fruit to have in your arsenal.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
The other great one for container culture is the silas woods. It's very similar with small fruit and very sweet / no grid but with a white flesh. 2 sweet for me. Someone needs to brix test them babies.

makok fruit I found that ripened on the tree.  Had one seed.

It tasted intensely sweet...too much for my girlfriend...who agreed it had a canistel flavor this time, and reminded her of butterscotch, which she don't like.

I found the fruit to be one of my favorites.  I eat skin and all...and enjoy the small size...easy to conceal, but a formidable ferociously sweet fruit to have in your arsenal.

I like most saps, even Brown Sugar (great taste but high stone cells content/grit)  but  am not a huge fan of silas woods.  As Jeff mentioned, it is the whitest of all saps as far as flesh color goes and to me, has the least amount of brown sugar flavor.  I equate Silas Woods with white sugar while I think of all others as haveing a taste of brown sugar.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »
I picked up a pair of Silas wood sapodilla from zills a while back...they grew vegetatively like rockets after I repotted them,  now they are setting fruits.  looks like I will have a large crops in 3 months of both makok and Silas...I have 7 (approx 15gal) trees which I hope to eat from and sell fruits.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
Ohh tight. Didn't know zills be propagating silas woods.

I picked up a pair of Silas wood sapodilla from zills a while back...they grew vegetatively like rockets after I repotted them,  now they are setting fruits.  looks like I will have a large crops in 3 months of both makok and Silas...I have 7 (approx 15gal) trees which I hope to eat from and sell fruits.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »
Don't sell, dehydrate the fruits.

As far as SW, a word of caution.  They tend to set a lot of fruit on each branch and have been known to have issues with the brances snapping.  You might want to consider thinning if its a heavy set.  As far as selling them...I have found they are not a good seller as the fruit are small (the smallest of all the saps) and most people want bigger fruit.  SW is, however, good for pot culture as it tends to stay smaller and more managable in a pot.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
rob,

I disagree.

the fruits are easy to sell and ship...and also less of a commitment to a buyer.

I prefer smaller sapodilla for selling and eating.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »
I remember learning that Silas wood can get messed up from heavy fruit loads, when I saw Bertos tree!

it was doubled over and more loaded than a carambola.
I hear  his tree snapped on a large terminal branch, taking a toll on the tree but not killing it.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Makok is similar. Thinning fruits results in larger, more mild (better tasting) fruit. If I wasn't lazy, I'd have thinned the fruits this year.

I remember learning that Silas wood can get messed up from heavy fruit loads, when I saw Bertos tree!

it was doubled over and more loaded than a carambola.
I hear  his tree snapped on a large terminal branch, taking a toll on the tree but not killing it.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »
rob,

I disagree.

the fruits are easy to sell and ship...and also less of a commitment to a buyer.

I am going to have to disagree with your disagreement :P ...as I see this on a weekly basis.  Most customers do not want the small Silas Woods.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:49:54 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 06:12:33 AM »
I noticed one of my makok sapodilla trees is very compact, slow growing, and was purchased from a plant sale in Broward County.

The other makok was not even half the size of the aforementioned one above, and it out grew it!!! FAST! I  got that one from Pine Island.

I'm guessing different root stock?  I like the smaller one, but like the fast growing one to!

Here is a little fruit, and a picture of the smaller tree of the two, but produces well and about half the year with two heavy crops!

AMAZING TASTE NO GRIT!

MY TOP 10

IN 10 GAL POT!

It's possible that they were put on different rootstocks. Then again it might also be that one tree is just healthier than the other. I think we all, incluiding myself, tend to generalize from very small samples (sometimes just one plant!), but really to get to know a cultivar you have to grow lots of them, because even within a cultivar different individuals will act quite differently. You see this quite clearly in large orchards all planted to same cultivar.
My makok tree is quite healthy despite a whole lot of neglect. It's in an area where i don't often go by, so it goes largely unnoticed. It's in the ground for many years (20+) but has only gotten about 8 feet tall, the others, sao manila and krasuey, planted at same time are about 3x as tall.
Oscar

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »
I ate a couple Makok sapodillas today thanks to Adam! I always said I did not like sapodillas until I tried the Makok! I like that the fruit are small and the flesh is really smooth without any grit! A really tasty fruit! Also it is a very nice container plant! I have a plant in a container less than 3 feet tall with a half dozen fruit on it right now!

Ed

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »
rob,

I disagree.

I am going to have to disagree with your disagreement :P ...as I see this on a weekly basis.  Most customers do not want the small Silas Woods.

I agree with Rob's disagreement.  If I'm going to wait for a sapodilla to ripen, I'd like it to be more than two bites.   My 4-6 ounce Alanos tease me.  Sapodillas should really be the size of a large tangelo 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »
Most commonly available large fruited varieties (near me in Central FL markets), are just not as sweet and nice as a small makok.

I've had an amazingly nice tasting large sapodilla..I don't remember the cultivar though...it was planted at the broward rare fruit councils garden, and the fruit had a much lighter colored flesh...no grit, and a large round shape.

I think another reason I enjoy the small fruits is because I eat them skin and all...sapodilla skin is like a potato skin to me...the best part sometimes!

So I agree to disagree, even with myself.

As long as its sweet, I'll eat one, and love it.

NOW this brings me to my next question...

what if there was a cultivar capable of producing pantin Mamey sapote sized sapodillas?

(I'd like to see a world record pic of sapodilla come to think of it!)

and conversely, what if there is a cultivar capable of producing sapodillas sweet as sugar with no grit, about the size of a extra large strawberry....and it produced loads of fruits???

which would you want??

I would probably want both!

or the one I could grow in a pot, and/or keep dwarf, and also have an extended season if possible.

rob,

I disagree.

I agree with Rob's disagreement.  If I'm going to wait for a sapodilla to ripen, I'd like it to be more than two bites.   My 4-6 ounce Alanos tease me.  Sapodillas should really be the size of a large tangelo
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »
Most commonly available large fruited varieties (near me in Central FL markets), are just not as sweet and nice as a small makok.

I've had an amazingly nice tasting large sapodilla..I don't remember the cultivar though...it was planted at the broward rare fruit councils garden, and the fruit had a much lighter colored flesh...no grit, and a large round shape.

I think another reason I enjoy the small fruits is because I eat them skin and all...sapodilla skin is like a potato skin to me...the best part sometimes!

what if there was a cultivar capable of producing pantin Mamey sapote sized sapodillas?

and conversely, what if there is a cultivar capable of producing sapodillas sweet as sugar with no grit, about the size of a extra large strawberry....and it produced loads of fruits???

which would you want??

or the one I could grow in a pot, and/or keep dwarf, and also have an extended season if possible.

rob,

I disagree.

Tikal, Molix and Hasya can all get quite large.  Very similar to a Pantin mamey.  We actually recently picked and weighed a Tikal that came in at 2.25 pounds.  Both the Morena and Tikal, along with Silas Woods, tend to have a lighter/whiter colored flesh (though with a slight red streaking to them).

Eating the skin...that is not only disgustuing but flat out wrong.  :( :-[ :-\ :blank:
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »
Seems like most of the time, lots of nutrition can be found in the skin of a fruit, and beneficial qualities that aren't present in the flesh.

Like for instance...cherries (skins have lots of antioxidants and a great to eat in quantity) then, Jaboticaba skin (don't eat too much, but its great on the right species and has antioxidants, plus medicinal qualities, not found in pulp)...or Mango (watch your butt,  I'm sure there is a benefit to some from eating this edible skin, but it can kill some with allergies)...there is a reason for a fruit to have an edible skin...and a reason for the palatability of each fruit skin.

Sapodilla skin is edible and highly palatable.

I enjoy it thoroughly...and you will learn that in Central and South America, and places of this fruit trees origin...the locals not only chew the sap ( origins of all gum ), they eat the skin of the fruit.

I hope you ate your wheaties today...because you maybe throwing away the most nutritious portions of some of your meals.

which would you want??

rob,

I disagree.

Tikal, Molix and Hasya can all get quite large.  Very similar to a Pantin mamey.  We actually recently picked and weighed a Tikal that came in at 2.25 pounds.  Both the Morena and Tikal, along with Silas Woods, tend to have a lighter/whiter colored flesh (though with a slight red streaking to them).

Eating the skin...that is not only disgustuing but flat out wrong
:( :-[ :-\ :blank:
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk