Author Topic: Custard Apple ?  (Read 3474 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Custard Apple ?
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:37:21 AM »
So, this is a custard apple right? 

Taste is OK, IMO.   Not really sweet enough for me.  Flesh has a nice creamy texture and seed count is low.  A few years ago a Jamaican friend tried one and she said it was very good. 

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Custard Apple ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
That is a custard apple, but it doesnt look like a particularly good one
- David Antonio Garcia

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:02:49 AM »
This fruit looks like the Noi-nung from Thailand. Normal Noi-na (sugarapple) tastes more sweet.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
the Custard's ( reticulata ) are very variable I had some very bad ones, and also a very good ones that the flavor remind me of strawberries & Cream, theres a lot of variation in them here we have them in the wild in some areas there are spots of 300/400 hundred trees in the jungle the bad ones,  town people call them here " annonas cagonas " ( something like sheedy annona ) lol, and theres all king of yellow ones, pink ones, red ones, the more elusive purple ones, and the very elusive purple one with almost purple flesh, ( Luc baptise that one as Vino Tinto ( red wine ) the best one I ever had was a pink one skin with white flesh my girlfriend at the time love this one,she said tast like strawberries & cream, too bad I didn't germinate any seed, the tree belong to a older men outside the city in a little town outside from here, the last time I went  I notice it wasn't there, so I went to ask and he said it was kill cause the ants nest in the trunk and he didn't notice early, funny thing is that here I don't know why but nobody sells them, if you want them you have to go and get it, maybe is because of that previous cited variation in quality....
El verde es vida!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
Sleepdoc,

are you sure this fruit was fully ripe? The reticulatas I have tasted get very soft when ripe, or lets say you get the best taste when they get very soft.

Don't ask me about brix, but reticulatas usually a very very sweet!

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:44:34 PM »
Sleepdoc,

are you sure this fruit was fully ripe? The reticulatas I have tasted get very soft when ripe, or lets say you get the best taste when they get very soft.

Don't ask me about brix, but reticulatas usually a very very sweet!

Good call.  I don't think it was fully ripe.  The next ones I'll wait longer and report back....

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 06:30:01 PM »
I pick them from the tree while hard as a rock and then let them get soft like pudding. At this point they have the best taste, at least so with the fruits from my tree ;)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »
I have only eaten one custard apple but I really enjoyed it.  Mine did not ripen properly, probably because it was picked too early.  As others have already stated, the best part was the really soft part but all of it was good.  If you still don't like the fully ripe fruits, maybe you can create a frankenstein custard apple tree or top work it.  I put the seeds from my fruit in a bag of damp sphagnum moss and a few have already rooted in less than two weeks.  I potted a few yesterday.  You are welcome to a some seedlings.   I am going to try and hunt down some grafted cultivars to plant too.

Brandon

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the offer Brandon.  I think I am however bringing out the chainsaw, and not looking to replace it for now ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk