Author Topic: Trying to eat green phillipean and green okrung mangos wind dropped from tree.  (Read 2214 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Anyone may give their preference for utilizing the mangos green for eating as I do not like letting them go to waste when blown off the mango trees and had rather eat them one way or the other. I have seen a lot of trees with rotting green mangos on the ground and doubt if even 50% of Florida growers are trying to eat the green wind blown mangos on the ground.

I just sliced my first mango green. It may have been phillipean or okrung. It is pretty good placed in a little pepper and salt mix. Has anyone else tried their wind dropped mangos and if so what sauce or salt mix are you using?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:49:55 PM by palmcity »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
I just sliced my first mango green. It may have been phillipean or okrung. It is pretty good placed in a little pepper and salt mix. Has anyone else tried their wind dropped mangos and if so what sauce or salt mix are you using?

That looks like okrung...we use our green mangos to make pickle, absolutely delicious.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
That looks like okrung...we use our green mangos to make pickle, absolutely delicious.

ok, JF. I'm presently googling and received various pickling of mangos from choices of sugar,vinegar, chili pwd., mustard, Turmeric, Salt, pepper etc.
How do you make it for it to be "absolutely delicious"? I would at least need the ingredients and I think I could get close for some of the steps in the process.

Also you stated we use "our" green mangos to make mango pickles. You have many varieties so which green mango varieties or are any ok for making the pickle recipe (I noticed my okrung is sweeter than phillipean that is tart prior to pickling or salt/pepper and have not tried varieties such as keitt,haden, or tommy atkins)

P.S. I'm presently enjoying  some Keitt Mango wine from Oct. start of fermentation that I just moved from 5 gallon container to large bottles in refrigerator and it's delicious.  I used 2 and 1/2 lb sugar per gallon of wine  prior to fermentation for a sweeter wine which is preferred by me as are most of my mangos when eaten ripe. It also maxed out the ethyl alcohol percent for the yeast. Also used rough lemons from rootstock for acid content of wine.

Anyone may give their preference for utilizing the mangos green for eating as I do not like letting them go to waste when blown off the mango trees and had rather eat them one way or the other. I have seen a lot of trees with rotting green mangos on the ground and doubt if even 50% of Florida growers are trying to eat the green wind blown mangos on the ground.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:15:17 AM by palmcity »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
This is a Trinidadian specialty but has it's base in food from India.
Mango Kuchela, I've used mustard seed oil. The spice mixture may be available at a West Indian grocery, but probably an Indian Grocery store might have a pickle masala which would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUVeJl4fWdU

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
Green Mangoes:1. You can shred and use it with your green salad
                          2. You can make a Hot Mango Pickle  by adding a ready made mix you can buy in Indian stores and add some oil
                               ( mustard oil is preferred ) or you can make a  Mango Chutney which is a sweet and sour (not oily) pickle
                               For recipes try Google or You Tube.
                          3. You can  slice the green  mango pulp and dry it in the sun. Dried mango slices can be used as an acidulant in
                               curries as a substitute for tamarind. 

The greeness and the variety of mango influences the flavour and taste  to a certain extent.                                         

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
can you eat any mango green?
Quentin

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile

how about send them my way??  I can make mango salad with it.  shred it first, add  fresh thai basil, sugar,pound some red hot chili with dry shrimp & add it to the mixture, then some fish sauce. Mix and ready to eat it with bbq or steak.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk