Author Topic: Pomelo strange leaves.  (Read 1986 times)

crea2k

• Uk
    • View Profile
Pomelo strange leaves.
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:36:03 PM »
So I bought this pomelo and it's been like this since I got it about 2-3 weeks ago. Bear in mind it came on a plane from Italy to the U.K. So I wasn't sure if this was cold damage from the plane ?. It came in a poly bag pot so I re potted it into dedicated citrus soil and it's been in a greenhouse at about 20-55c so not sure if it's too hot for it it of its better outside ?, as it's been 33c this week outside.
All the other citrus in there (mandarin, satsuma and pomegranate ) is doing fine in there. The pomelo hasn't got any worse than when it arrived, it's not yet sprouted any new growth either yet. I have it some citrus fertiliser yesterday and have been watering the same as the other citrus. So not sure if it's just yet to be established yet and show new growth or what's up with it. It doesn't appear to be getting any worse, it did drop a few leaves when it first arrived but hasn't got any worse.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Pomelo strange leaves.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:13:06 PM »
Irregular yellowing of leaves; hopefully not greening disease.

crea2k

• Uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »
From what Iv read about that the plant goes down hill, this plang hadn't gone downhill, it's just stayed the same. It's been on a plane and plane holds are like 7degrees c so wasn't sure if it's heat related, as a  few leaves fell off the first week, since then none others have fell and that was about 3 weeks ago now.

crea2k

• Uk
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:59:22 PM by crea2k »

Marcin

• Poland, zone 6a
    • View Profile
    • Rośliny cytrusowe w Polsce (Citrus plants in Poland)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:56:43 AM »
It's a problem with the roots.
I had such symptoms on my potted Ponderosa when ants settled in the soil. Then these bright sectors used to appear on the leaves instantly after a hot day, or when the soil got a bit dry. I believe the leaves react in that way when roots are rapidly dried or damaged. In my case it was caused by the insects (or rather by the tunnels in the soil digged by them). In your case I think the roots got damaged during the trip in the poly bag. I'd give the tree some shade now, and it should be ok. ;)

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 03:10:28 AM »
This is not due to cold damage on the flight. I don't know if your figure of 7C in a plane hold is always true, but it certainly isn't allowed to freeze. There is never a problem on a short flight from Italy to UK for any citrus - I've often imported them this way.
It has been far too hot in a greenhouse in the UK for the past week, unless it is fully shaded. Although pummelos like tropical conditions, temperatures over 45C will be too high unless you continuously damp down the greenhouse floor. I remove all my citrus trees from the greenhouse from mid-May to mid September and they do far better outside.
I suspect your leaf problem is due to excess sun and heat. Tender new growth and recently fertilised nursery plants are likely to be worst effected. Those leaves won't recover, but the plant should be OK if you keep it outside and shaded for a few days.
Citrange/Mike - Buckinghamshire, England

crea2k

• Uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 04:05:30 AM »
Thanks I will move them all outside for now then. The grapefruit also has it very very slightly, on the other hand the mandarin is loving it in there but I think they like it a bit warmer anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk