Author Topic: The visit to Harry's before the Mango Festival.....  (Read 11981 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: The visit to Harry's before the Mango Festival.....
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
When your cherapu, rainforest plum, Luc's Mexican Garcinia, pitangatuba, cambuca, various Rollinia species, and rare jabuticabeira start bearing...then you just might turn me green. 

Until then...I will be drooling over the plants that are in other growers collections that I know...and when I can't make it to their garden's, walking out into my own containerized fruit grove will ease my envious emotions.

;D

But!!!  U did have me on the verge of jealousy when I saw that big old grafted Illama my friend got from u!

Why don't you whip up another batch real fast, and get some covetous customers like myself to fork over some $$ ??

I'm looking at that picture and thinking, "man look at all the 6 figure salaries in there."

Just kidding :-).

I suppose that if you own property in HI, you probably have enough $$ in that land to pay off law school a few times over at this point :-). Not me. I was smart enough to buy just before the real estate market collapsed and now have a loan-to-value ratio so big that I can barely count that high. Ohh well, I'm just happy to have land to cultivate enough MANGOES to make Adam jealous.

ooh that was below the belt oscar!

I almost went to law school myself. Applied and got into 3. But i decided not to become a lawyer. I think it was the student loans i would have had to take out that convinced me otherwise.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:49 PM »
:-) As much as I love annonas, they won't fruit on my stupid püüpy soil, so I'm starting to give up on them. Arggg!

When your cherapu, rainforest plum, Luc's Mexican Garcinia, pitangatuba, cambuca, various Rollinia species, and rare jabuticabeira start bearing...then you just might turn me green. 

Until then...I will be drooling over the plants that are in other growers collections that I know...and when I can't make it to their garden's, walking out into my own containerized fruit grove will ease my envious emotions.

;D

But!!!  U did have me on the verge of jealousy when I saw that big old grafted Illama my friend got from u!

Why don't you whip up another batch real fast, and get some covetous customers like myself to fork over some $$ ??
Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »
OK Adam, don't get me started on the lawyer jokes. There must be more jokes about lawyers than any other profession!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 11:52:35 PM »
too bad there's not a lawyer who can find me a loophole in the laws of nature...so I can go ahead and speed up some plants to start fruiting.

so far I've been relying on grafting and applications of micro nutritional products.

OK Adam, don't get me started on the lawyer jokes. There must be more jokes about lawyers than any other profession!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
have u tried fruiting them in containers??  For u, id speculate that it's a novel notion indeed,and one I'd entertain if I had a love for annonas and poor soil.  (what's wrong with your soil?? I can't imagine some of the more common annonas having trouble, as long as the soil had good draiange).

anything can be overcome with enough will power, micronutrition, good soil, and big containers!!

:-) As much as I love annonas, they won't fruit on my stupid püüpy soil, so I'm starting to give up on them. Arggg!

;D

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »
Not me. I was smart enough to buy just before the real estate market collapsed and now have a loan-to-value ratio so big that I can barely count that high. Ohh well, I'm just happy to have land to cultivate enough MANGOES to make Adam jealous.

LOL, I am with you there. I literally owe double what my house is worth. My mistake was getting a second mortage at the peak.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
I think it's the alkalinity of my soil. We have a boatload of crushed up oolitic limestone just under the surface. This year I started on a micro-nutrient program for the annonas. It's helps, but no silver bullet. So far the only annona fruit I've received has been from containerized trees. But, half dozen fruits only lasts me a day. So, I'd need some Giant containers to get enough fruit to make it worthwhile :-). Rootstock may be the next thing I toy with. Pond apple?

have u tried fruiting them in containers??  For u, id speculate that it's a novel notion indeed,and one I'd entertain if I had a love for annonas and poor soil.  (what's wrong with your soil?? I can't imagine some of the more common annonas having trouble, as long as the soil had good draiange).

anything can be overcome with enough will power, micronutrition, good soil, and big containers!!

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »
I think it's the alkalinity of my soil. We have a boatload of crushed up oolitic limestone just under the surface. This year I started on a micro-nutrient program for the annonas. It's helps, but no silver bullet. So far the only annona fruit I've received has been from containerized trees. But, half dozen fruits only lasts me a day. So, I'd need some Giant containers to get enough fruit to make it worthwhile :-). Rootstock may be the next thing I toy with. Pond apple?

Saw an ad on craigslist a few days ago,someone was selling 45 gal containers for $10 each, probably can get them cheaper with some negotiation.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »
Try chelated Fe drenches....or putting giant pots in the ground....kind of like Adolf Grimal did in the Keys, when he dug out giant holes in the lime rock, and furthermore punched holes in the bottoms of these immense earth limerock pots.

He made the impossible possible...and that's one reason why he will be remembered by generations to come.

BTW Cookie, thanks for the assist!  We've successfully derailed this mango thread to an alternate and most splendid topic of interest.   ;D ;D ;D ;D  :)

The fruit gods worketh in mysterious ways.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:39:03 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »

I've seen sugar apples growing and fruiting fine in South Pacific atolls right in their 100% coral limestone, ust a bit of organic materials added to planting holes at the top. So again, the limestone is not the problem. Is there something toxic to plants in oolitic limestone? It's definitely not the alkalinity that's causing your problem.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 11:46:48 PM »
Sugar apples will fruit OK here. Aside from being sensitive to wet feet, sugar apples are pretty darn tough. But, the better tasting annonas (mainly atemoya) absolutely refuse to fruit. I only get a handful of flowers, and from 3 atemoyas (Lisa, Geffner, and petch pak chong) I've had 1 fruit in the last 4 years.

The problem here is that I literally only have 6 inches of soil and then crushed limestone directly beneath it. Keep in mind that this isn't limestone in its natural state; it's crushed limestone from when they dug the canal which was used to raise the foundation. I added huge amounts of compost (several dump truck loads) and it raised the soil level in my yard a couple of inches. That has helped quite a bit for the mangoes, but the more ph-sensitive plants are still hard to grow. Carambola is one of the most difficult, but fortunately it will still fruit heavily even when stunted and heavily chlorotic. Atemoya, being a bit more fussy, just plain refuses to fruit. It's a shame because Atemoya is one of my favorite fruits.

I've seen sugar apples growing and fruiting fine in South Pacific atolls right in their 100% coral limestone, ust a bit of organic materials added to planting holes at the top. So again, the limestone is not the problem. Is there something toxic to plants in oolitic limestone? It's definitely not the alkalinity that's causing your problem.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »
Someone call the TSA.