Author Topic: Would you accept a tree in this condition?  (Read 7252 times)

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
Would you accept a tree in this condition?
« on: February 09, 2019, 03:00:32 PM »
I ordered an African Pride atemoya from
http://www.chfruittreenursery.com. I couldn't find an AP from any of the sellers I normally buy from so I took a chance on these guys. They sent it quickly, it arrived yesterday afternoon. I was putting it in my greenhouse when I noticed the trunk damaged. Would you accept a tree in this condition?

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Would you accept a tree in this condition?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
No I would not. But it also depends on the postage it would cost to send it back.
Contact them before the time limit is up (looks like a week) and see if they will look at pictures.  Might be cheaper if they would give you a discount on a second tree, depending on what the postage is that you have to pay to send it back.
And I can't tell from the photo, but it almost looks like it has been grafted twice? Once below the damage, and once above.

Carolyn

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:28:17 AM »
No way.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
I would not accept that Tree, is that a third graft on the very top?
Its time to negotiate, they should have sent you a pic. of the tree before shipping it, to see if it was acceptable to you.
Carlos

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »
shitty saler and morally wrong.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »

Not certain bottom 2 notches are grafts. But yeah, that's the graft way up top. Still has tape.

Hopefully they respond on Monday

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
To be honest its not pretty but most likely will grow right out of that and will never make any difference in the long run.

The scar at the bottom is the only concerning part.  As long as that doesnt get worse I would worry about it much.
Brad Spaugh

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »
I ordered an African Pride atemoya from
http://www.chfruittreenursery.com. I couldn't find an AP from any of the sellers I normally buy from so I took a chance on these guys. They sent it quickly, it arrived yesterday afternoon. I was putting it in my greenhouse when I noticed the trunk damaged. Would you accept a tree in this condition?

I have never read a good review about this seller... I mean shipping client. Only those who went in his house are amazed by his fruit trees.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:39:31 PM by Reafs »
Yohann

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 04:03:18 PM »
To be honest its not pretty but most likely will grow right out of that and will never make any difference in the long run.

The scar at the bottom is the only concerning part.  As long as that doesnt get worse I would worry about it much.

It's missing a third of the cambium layer around the base. Probably a lot more prone to infection at that point as well. Plus it's starting to flake or split right there. Anyways mistakes happen all the time, I make plenty of them.  ;D I'm not going to get all excited at this point, I'll just wait for his response.

In hindsight I should have taken a photo of it the way it was shipped but I didn't notice the scar because it was heavily wrapped with not one, not two but three types of tape. Clear carton sealing tape, masking tape and finally electric tape lol. When I cut through the tape and quickly moved the root ball to its new home, only then did I notice the problem.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 05:13:14 PM »
I agree with post posters that I would not except that ! With that being said if you are keeping the tree i would carefully cut into wounded area and clean up bark to good clean cambium then I would paint trunk up to above graft. Paint with 50/50 % latex & water. Now watch tree for signs of continued disease.
You can also add some type of anti-fungal/viral/bacterial product to paint. Good luck witch ever way you go :-X 

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 06:56:13 PM »
Not certain bottom 2 notches are grafts. But yeah, that's the graft way up top. Still has tape.

The seller apparently did a side graft and failed (the apparent wound). He then waited for the rootstock to grow a bit and did an approach graft that took and sold it to you. We've all done this, reusing rootstocks from failed grafts but you don't sell it out like this.

I've never heard anything good on this one seller and now we have proof of his apparent bad reputation.
Thera

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:02 PM »
After I pruned 1/2" cherimoya branch flush with the trunk, I would wrap the fresh wound with green plant tie. 6 months later callus filled over the wound.

Otherwise I'll have to look at the ugly wound for years.

You should try it if you decided to keep.
Maybe clean up the wound and create a fresh wound, then wrap.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »
It's probably fine -- but dang, the grafter really struggled with that one. Looks like the first 2 grafts failed; then they gave up and went with an approach graft for #3.
Jeff  :-)

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 11:07:45 PM »
Seller informed me that wound would heal up "automatically" and be no problem. When I told him I wanted a replacement, he immediately said he'd take it back and replace it, so good on him.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 01:47:23 AM »
Yikes! Thats some shotty work. It's fine if you want to practice grafting, but not cool, if you want to sell your product. I guess they don't have that inner voice that tells you "that looks like shit".
-Chris

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:26 PM »
Seller informed me that wound would heal up "automatically" and be no problem. When I told him I wanted a replacement, he immediately said he'd take it back and replace it, so good on him.

Will you have to pay for shipping?
Do they have a "store" for you to go in and look at their inventory?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:03:37 PM by NewGen »

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 04:41:07 PM »

Yeah, I'll have to pay for shipping. Probably around $15. Worth it to get a decent looking tree.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 08:20:12 PM »

Yeah, I'll have to pay for shipping. Probably around $15. Worth it to get a decent looking tree.

If he sends you a real nice tree won't you wonder why he didn't in the first place?

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Well this kinda sucks. Seller decided to just refund instead of sending a replacement when I emailed him about when replacement tree would arrive. Actually he didn't even respond, I just got an email from PP saying the money had been refunded. He still profited though, cost him $7.50 in shipping but charged $15. And I'm out the $7.50 for return shipping. Oh well, at least he refunded. Live and learn.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 03:48:38 PM »
Atkins nursery in fallbrook/vista area of san diego has 15gal african pride trees for cheap.  I got one last year and it already made a bunch of fruit.  Maybe you could do a road trip.

Brad Spaugh

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 05:04:54 PM »
Thanks. I might have to do that one of these days. I sent one of our drivers to Mimosa in LA last year but it's kinda of a tight fit on those streets for a commercial vehicle.  ;D

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »

Hopefully they respond on Monday

That is one "butt-ugly" grafting job.  :o
Michael

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
Thanks. I might have to do that one of these days. I sent one of our drivers to Mimosa in LA last year but it's kinda of a tight fit on those streets for a commercial vehicle.  ;D

Plus their prices are insane.  I think it was 55$ for a 15gal AP tree at atkins. 

Also cherimoya/atemoya trees are pretty easy to grow and graft from seed.

Brad Spaugh

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 08:10:45 PM »

Plus their prices are insane.  I think it was 55$ for a 15gal AP tree at atkins. 

Also cherimoya/atemoya trees are pretty easy to grow and graft from seed.

Don't make me feel bad. I just paid $120 with shipping for an AP 4-5' 3 gallon haha. I know it's too hot here for Cherimoyas or Soursop. Sugar apples do ok, but our winters will kill them. I'm crossing my fingers to see how an atemoya will do. Will probably just be another expensive experiment lol

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »
Have you tried to grow date palm ?.
Moh'd