Author Topic: Willughbeia sarawakensis  (Read 13138 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Willughbeia sarawakensis
« on: March 02, 2015, 05:29:49 AM »
I have sprouted seedlings of the willughbeia but i can't find any info about this plant. Yes the Ozzy forum has some info but not much  ;)

Do these vines climb and hold themselves on a rope? Do they make airroots as well?

Can they be pruned or will they start dripping?

Is it possible to grow them in a big pot? If not then how can i keep them small in full soil without overgrowing the whole house?

Will they also fruit in partial shade? I read they can fruit within 2 years, which is great.

Do they need any special soil?

I'm excited to grow this vine! I hope it's worth the effort.

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Willughbeia sarawakensis
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:35:38 AM »
Nobody growing this? We have many Indo member/vendors of these seeds.

Radoslav how big are yours now?

Mine are 7 cm and grow about 2 cm a day.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:46:55 AM »
I bought W. sarawakensis 2 times, once from Sumatraexotisc (I think) - it has never sprouted. My second attempt is from adhyt_blank, but I am still waiting for seeds to arrive.
Seeds of W. angustifoilia from Maryoto look killed by frost on their way (we had some frosty days recently)
So far I have only saba senegalensis seedlings - they grow slowly.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:31:41 AM »
I bought W. sarawakensis 2 times, once from Sumatraexotisc (I think) - it has never sprouted. My second attempt is from adhyt_blank, but I am still waiting for seeds to arrive.
Seeds of W. angustifoilia from Maryoto look killed by frost on their way (we had some frosty days recently)

Oh i see, i also bought them from adhyt and they sprouted in about 10 days i think. The engkalak from him sprouted in 5 days and shipping took about 9 days. I remember shefloral also sent from Borneo by EMS and that took 21 days, strange.

When they sprout they have a black color, still no leaves yet. I 'll grow them in pots first, i have no idea how vigorous they can be.
Angustifolia is a smaller vine i read. They seem to be quite rare, even many indo's from sarawak have never seen them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:35:20 AM »

Indonesia to Slovakia is probably going to pass through several European airpots. Any icy conditions at any one of those spells certain death for tropical seeds.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:02 AM »
BK, when this vine consumes and destroys your entire suburban backyard and surrounding trees and still produces nothing, be sure to let us know! I would like to hear that crunchy sound of your wife kicking you in the soft spot as reward for entire effort!  ;D

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 05:09:33 AM »
Which willughbeia is on that pic?

I will grow them in big pots, we have plenty of annoying vines here allready. They grow over the electric wires and also whole houses in a few weeks time.

My vines will fruit within 2 years i hope, maybe i even have to reinforce the carport for them. Well let's see, my friends will grow them in full soil so i hope to see how huge they can grow.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 05:37:15 AM »
Wilughbeia in the pic still has not produced. Lower trunk as thick as baby elephant leg. I'm sure you can grow it in the pot  ;D .

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 06:03:19 AM »
Virtual potted willughbeia could climb up his virtual giant pedalai trees and fruit in 2 years. Just like the fairy tale mangosteen that fruits for him in only 2 years.
I hope Ed won't mind my reusing this here but it seems really appropriate:

Oscar

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 06:28:24 AM »
I am curious how it will behave in the pot. I guess that limited pot space will have some  effect and it will grow slower and smaller.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »
Virtual potted willughbeia could climb up his virtual giant pedalai trees and fruit in 2 years. Just like the fairy tale mangosteen that fruits for him in only 2 years.
I hope Ed won't mind my reusing this here but it seems really appropriate:

Well at least we live in the right climate to get stuff fruiting fast and get big fruit. For you everything takes double the time and then still makes mini dwarf midget fruit. Or engkalak who even don't get red because of the lack of sun.

DL you can give it a load of slow release high P fertilizer.
Mangotree's also grow taller then a house, i can fruit them in a pot easy, even when they are 30 cm tall.

I go get more sweet chonphu's, they are perfect now!

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »
I pray the seeds of these willugbheia sp grow!
Spent fortune for seeds from the different vendors on forum.   
So far no sprouts :(
Others got lost in mail
If anyone in Hawaii has extra vines in future I'm interested.
As for planting..how bout in cattle pasture, putting a fence around grove of ironwood trees and letting this liana have its way...any stray vines would be eaten by cattle..maybe?

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
bangkok I think we are all in the same boat. Im sure there are plenty of forum members who have gotten this recently, but i doubt any could give you any advice.

Trial and error is the way of warrior...or something. Idk I think we are just gonna have to figure out how to do this as we go along
- David Antonio Garcia

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
Bangkok

If i were you, I'll stop growing all types of vines except if you have a big backyard. Most vines are too hassle to clean, to prune and eventually it will take over your whole backyard. Your wife wont be happy about this for sure.  :-X
Moh'd

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
Why not give the pot idea a try? It won't hurt to. You won't know until you try. Then you can let us know. :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:12:27 PM by Tropicaliste »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »
I pray the seeds of these willugbheia sp grow!
Spent fortune for seeds from the different vendors on forum.   
So far no sprouts :(
Others got lost in mail
If anyone in Hawaii has extra vines in future I'm interested.
As for planting..how bout in cattle pasture, putting a fence around grove of ironwood trees and letting this liana have its way...any stray vines would be eaten by cattle..maybe?

No worries Micah, mine are coming up, and you can get plants from me in future if yours don't germinate. I think though it will be challenging to get them to fruit in our climate.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »
I am curious how it will behave in the pot. I guess that limited pot space will have some  effect and it will grow slower and smaller.

What happens with very vigorous vines is that the roots will grow right through the bottom holes and plant themselves in the ground.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »
Why not give the pot idea a try? It won't hurt to. You won't know until you try. Then you can let us know. :)

Yeah, what difference does it make if he kills the plant in the pot or in the ground?
Oscar

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »
I know you're being sarcastic, but the fact of the matter is, it's an experiment anyway. There isn't a guarantee it will grow in the ground if anyone tries. You should give him more credit, most people don't put pots on top of the soil either. I keep mine on stands or on concrete.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
I know you're being sarcastic, but the fact of the matter is, it's an experiment anyway. There isn't a guarantee it will grow in the ground if anyone tries. You should give him more credit, most people don't put pots on top of the soil either. I keep mine on stands or on concrete.

You obviously haven't been following Dorgon lover's posts? He belongs to 3 Stooges School of Gardening.  ::)
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 09:39:47 PM »
Bangkok

If i were you, I'll stop growing all types of vines except if you have a big backyard. Most vines are too hassle to clean, to prune and eventually it will take over your whole backyard. Your wife wont be happy about this for sure.  :-X

I also grew passionfruit here  which worked well but they were not as sweet as i wanted them to be.
My wife will like it because it will give shade to her car.  ;D

I have all 10 of them sprouted now so today i'll give some to the monks who have a fruitgarden at the temple nearby. Also other friends with big land will grow them.
Adhyt sells good seeds, also all litsea garciae came up.

There sure must be more info on internet but on Borneo they have loads of different names for this vine. I'm happy with all new Indo/Malay members who sell seeds, i hope you guys buy from them as well so they will continue to find/sell seeds for many years.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 06:52:35 AM »
Good luck  8)
Moh'd

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
BK, when this vine consumes and destroys your entire suburban backyard and surrounding trees and still produces nothing, be sure to let us know! I would like to hear that crunchy sound of your wife kicking you in the soft spot as reward for entire effort!  ;D

Fantastic, my evil plan is to have them suffocate the Brazilian invasive pepper tree & the stupid Melaleuca brought in by USDA to give us Ashma in Florida might work.  Willughbeia that ate Miami; Kudzu with edible fruit here we come!😄🙏
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 05:34:45 PM »

Fantastic, my evil plan is to have them suffocate the Brazilian invasive pepper tree & the stupid Melaleuca brought in by USDA to give us Ashma in Florida might work.  Willughbeia that ate Miami; Kudzu with edible fruit here we come!😄🙏

Nice evil plan Coconut. But really do you honestly think they are going to grow just as vigorously in Florida as they did in that photo? I don't think so!
Oscar

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 01:06:08 AM »

Nice evil plan Coconut. But really do you honestly think they are going to grow just as vigorously in Florida as they did in that photo? I don't think so!

Hell No Oscar, didn't I mentioned its an evil plan (most evil plans failed & make me no money )😢!  But that's what everybody said about my Medusa Coconut selection discovery. The Annona Mafia delivered my White Lamboghini Huracán that look like coconut cream with beige leather interior like some of my yellow beige jackfruit last Saturday & the Mutant Coconuts are in Dubai three weeks ago ( it was sad to see my Gorgon Coconut babies go).  Sure I thought my evil dream plan of developing my twenty acres of Macupuno in South Florida from my own embryo rescue, technology develop by a famous Indian Lady PHD and corner the US market for fresh Macupuno vaporize this spring when Mutual Fund complex were offering prices for the land wife force me to sell ( she also sold her Company to Google & force me to retire)  In the End I am staring at my Macupuno like a dinosaur in a museum.😭 😄 So I am working on several more evil plans already under her radars.  We  are building five Mansions  on the intercoastal & I am appointed by wife as resident land artist ( sound fancy eh, I thought so myself too) so I will sneak all manner of edible for field trial.

I am sure when the Wife keep telling me to quit breeding & concentrating on building Versailles Palace for the Well heel, she had no ideas I have already scheme my retire job be a plant consultant to the buyers of our houses. These home will be price 8-12 mill so the folks can more than afford to hire me to look at my edible landscape I have planted.  I will even charge them a premium for squirrels remove services so I can have my squirrel lunch for free.👍😋

You see Oscar my other backup scheme is Landolphia which thrive better in our colder climates.  Field trial have shown them outperform Willughbeia in drought, cold & swamp test. For strange reason rodents destroy my Willughbeia seedlings and leave the twenty strains of various Landophilia alone. Hardiest are strain from The Gambia & the Cassamance!  That is why you go into breedings to develop stuff for your taste & needs; and if you make money doing it its nice. Sith breeders are well known for our tenacity for evilness unlike the lazy Jedi Breeders who give up, collect & breed everything in a green house.  Unlimited resources I can afford to splurge on luxeries & have everything die in my tough field trials,  time will always be on my sides since the works are now transfer over to the next generation.  I will just have DurianLover send me this Willughbeia from Sri Lanka, after two decades, I am sure we have a cold strain in Kudzu country or maybe five decades and rival your Willughbeia Oscar by strangling A Hawaiian vocano or two!😄🌴

Anyway end of month I am getting a Monaco diesel pusher traverse the country & that foreign country called Canada & leave my outdoor labs to my Nephews comings out of John Hopkins & Harvard and let them loose on it as a hobby while they keep their day job as Pfiser or Monsanto Scientists (and kill us all with better chemistry for better living). And when Willughbeia take over Miami, my Nephews can sell cancer causing herbicides; I will be sure to short PfiserMonsanto stocks and make a boat load of cash so I can afford to buy your seeds!👹

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 04:30:35 AM »
You are one funny guy Coconut! Maybe your best chance at fame, wealth, and glory are as standup comedian?  ;)  You have lots of good one liners.
Here the landolphia seems to do better also than willughbeia. But the landophias i have tried are rather sour.
Oscar

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:02 PM »
You are one funny guy Coconut! Maybe your best chance at fame, wealth, and glory are as standup comedian?  ;)  You have lots of good one liners.
Here the landolphia seems to do better also than willughbeia. But the landophias i have tried are rather sour.

I have the Cassamance race of Landophilia which is sweet about four years away from fruiting.  The soil here in Royal Palm Boca Raton is sugar sand as compare to an alluvial clay laterite in the blood diamond & Coltan Districts of West Africa known for sweeter landophilia Senegalisis and other Apocynaceae unknown to white missionary. I suspect the soil is what produce a sweeter fruit but its any one guess.  Hopefully in a decade I might have Willughbeia Angustifolia x  Landophilia Senegalensis Cassamance to get the brambles nature of its African arid trait with the vigour high productivity of its Asian counterparts; crossings them are not as easy as I originally thought!.  I think espalier them, trimming them like grape might offer better control & increase fruit production.  As a commercial fruit I would say three decades away to select a less precocious dwarf with preferences for full sun.  Anyway my two nephews are heading to the AfricanEquatorial Hot Zone this summer for some Governmental assignments & I told them to collect everything but the blood diamonds during their break.  Hopefully we will see something come home beside Ebola this time.😷

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 05:53:43 PM »
A friend sent me some willughbeia (not sure what species) seeds a few years back...I got about 3-4 to germinate, and they grew very slow...I assume they were stunted by my neutral pH.

They are not too sensitive to cold, they must have survived 35F as small seedlings...now they're about 10 inch tall, almost 3yr old...

anyone else growing these?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:55:36 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »
We have several plants with the first and second leaves coming out...maybe 4-8?inches tall.almost one year old. Very slow
I bet they need to go in the earth soon
Now the fun part..how/where to plant? recently heard Hawaii may have pollination problems. :( maybe hand pollinating.
I like the idea of espalier r Coconut.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
We have several plants with the first and second leaves coming out...maybe 4-8?inches tall.almost one year old. Very slow
Now the fun part..how/where to plant? recently heard Hawaii may have pollination problems. :( maybe hand pollinating.

Yes, exactly the same story here. Very surprised by slow growth. 4-8 inches tall with leaves not looking very healthy.  Gave them foliar feeding the other day. If they don't improve soon, I'll start forming opinion that it takes 100 years for them to fruit when they eventually turn into giant vines.

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:19 AM »
100yrs letshope not! :)
Indonesian members have said it has a very deep taproot...so I figure mine are at the bottom of the pot by now for sure.  Time to put in ground. But how and where! Could it be invasive?
Recently got some other liana/vine type fruit from Luc.  Immediately they were popping,  then I waited a bit too long and noticed no more growth, so I pulled it out of the shallow pot to find the roots stopped going down and just got thicker and thicker...stunted for sure.  I'm to scared to pull up willughbea sp and ch ck but I suspects it's the same trip...
How deep are your pots you have these rare liana in?

Yes, exactly the same story here. Very surprised by slow growth. 4-8 inches tall with leaves not looking very healthy.  Gave them foliar feeding the other day. If they don't improve soon, I'll start forming opinion that it takes 100 years for them to fruit when they eventually turn into giant vines.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 12:06:12 AM »
wait a second...the plants I thought were willughbeia, seem to be Annonaceous...the leaves are alternate, instead of opposite (like Apocynaceae should be)

lol, I'm excited to figure out what the heck these are....maybe some sort of Duguetia?  I remember planting those at the same time.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

micah

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
Is it the coveted yara yara?
Or lancelota?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 11:14:45 AM »
Is it the coveted yara yara?
Or lancelota?

not sure...I was thinking lanceolata, but I remember actually germinating those, and they looked different...

I notice the mystery plants have a prominent midrib, I don't think D. lanceolata shares this feature, maybe I'm mistaken?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 10:58:49 PM »
Does this plant need male and female plants or is it self pollinating.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »
100yrs letshope not! :)
Indonesian members have said it has a very deep taproot...so I figure mine are at the bottom of the pot by now for sure.  Time to put in ground. But how and where! Could it be invasive?
Recently got some other liana/vine type fruit from Luc.  Immediately they were popping,  then I waited a bit too long and noticed no more growth, so I pulled it out of the shallow pot to find the roots stopped going down and just got thicker and thicker...stunted for sure.  I'm to scared to pull up willughbea sp and ch ck but I suspects it's the same trip...
How deep are your pots you have these rare liana in?

Oh well, maybe that's the reason for slow growth. No space for tap root, because they were kept at US 1 gallon equivalent. Upgraded to much bigger bags and let's see what happens. I highly doubt they are invasive because of the rarity, slow growth, and the fact that flesh sticks to the seed. It has much bigger chance to rot in nature than sprout.
I personally would not put these anywhere in the garden. Only in a wild or private semi wild forest.

I don't know if you have such ability in US, but I buy a polythene roll of nursery bags (not cut, continuous roll). Than I buy cheap sealer. I think they were around $15. It gives you ability to make custom depth growing bags. As deep as you need. Also you make custom drainage holes on such set up.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »
So what happened to the Willughbeia seedlings? I am amazed that they are so common in the Borneo jungle but almost nobody seems to grow them.
Btw, when pruning them keep in mind that they produce lots of latex which was harvested commercially before Hevea was introduced to Borneo. So pruning them might make a big mess.
And they can overgrow whole sections of a forest, here is a video about that:

https://youtu.be/Gi6bTQif7ls

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
So what happened to the Willughbeia seedlings? I am amazed that they are so common in the Borneo jungle but almost nobody seems to grow them.
Btw, when pruning them keep in mind that they produce lots of latex which was harvested commercially before Hevea was introduced to Borneo. So pruning them might make a big mess.
And they can overgrow whole sections of a forest, here is a video about that:

https://youtu.be/Gi6bTQif7ls

video is unavailable .. i did not really find any willughbeia species in my 2 visits to borneo during fruit season, although i did hear about where one is likely to find them but usually is a more remote area. where did you find them?

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 02:05:21 AM »
Strange. For me the video link works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXOkRPkj2o8&list=PL2AyaQ9frDUtHb18MXwDC7_hlOktohj1a

In Central Kalimantan there was a lot of W. sarawacensis in the fruit forests/rubber plantations, really easy to find. In W Sarawak there was W. elmerii, probably angustifolia and sarawacensis in various locations. Along the Rajang river trees were covered with little W. fruit but i never saw a single vine in the forest and could not try them. Also, in Sarawak W is very rare on the markets.
Where exaxtly did you go in Borneo?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2019, 03:54:34 PM »
Cool. That link seems to work

I went to Kota Kinabalu, sandakan, tenom, Miri, Serian and Kuching

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »
Never saw W in Sabah or Miri but im sure its there. Also, never saw any in the Kuching or Serian markets but there are some in the hills (Gunung Ranjan, Gunung Kubah). Even some of the Iban dont know about them.