Author Topic: Florida Mango trees planted in California  (Read 30290 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Mango trees planted in California
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »
Simon,

My Lemon Zest (thanks for the scions)  on LaVern Manilla rootstock also had heavy PM this year. Maybe we should cut off the first bloom to force a late 2nd bloom in warmer month -- May or June instead of March/April. Maha and Cat are the ones with minimum PM grafted on the same tree.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
What variety is Cat?

Bill

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2019, 11:17:43 PM »
Simon,

My Lemon Zest (thanks for the scions)  on LaVern Manilla rootstock also had heavy PM this year. Maybe we should cut off the first bloom to force a late 2nd bloom in warmer month -- May or June instead of March/April. Maha and Cat are the ones with minimum PM grafted on the same tree.

Sapote, you just have to be careful how late you want to push it because if you prune too late, it could get out on you which isn’t necessarily a bad thing if your tree is still small. Normally my LZ tree will naturally flower twice a year. I mainly prune to remove the end of the branch where the previous flower panicles grew because they can harbor fungal spores.

Cat mango might be CAC/COC, I spread some scion around a while back. CAC/COC is an absolutely delicious mango that grows well here and has been disease resistant from reports I hear back from people I shared scions with.

Simon

LBCGuy

• LA County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2019, 01:42:06 PM »
Simon

Here's a video of a large mango tree with full size mango. It's not my tree, it located in Lakewood/Long beach area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxM5E034U0&t=208s

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2019, 06:35:14 PM »
Florida ST doing well here.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:40:10 PM by gozp »

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2019, 06:38:06 PM »

Os

K3

Pina colada

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2019, 06:50:31 PM »
Simon

Here's a video of a large mango tree with full size mango. It's not my tree, it located in Lakewood/Long beach area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxM5E034U0&t=208s

Thanks for the video. Is that your tree and are you sure it’s on Florida rootstock?

Most of the trees that are large like that are grafted onto seedling rootstocks.

There are huge trees that Frank and I posted and most of them are seedling trees or seedling trees that were grafted.

There are Florida Turpentine rootstock trees that can get quite large. For example Valencia Pride, LZ, Sweet Tart and some of the other vigorous varieties but many of them will at least initially have a very droopy growth habit.

Simon

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »
Gozp, the trees look fine.......but i know you want growth for a few years and not fruit......so you know what you have to do...

Especially if on Fl rootstock

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk