Author Topic: Best rootstock for Kishu mandarin  (Read 1456 times)

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Best rootstock for Kishu mandarin
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:05:36 PM »
I would like to call on the wisdom and experience of this forum to help me choose best rootstock for Kishu Mandarin. I am looking for cold hardiness ( zone 8), quality, and production. I have well draining sandy loam soil in west central Ga....on the fall line. I have protection measures in place for winter. I am fairly new at this, but have made several successful grafts, though I hear Kishu is very hard to get to take. I have Kinkoji, Trifoliata, Flying dragon, Swingle and US852 rootstock to choose from. Any suggestions?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Best rootstock for Kishu mandarin
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »
Swingle generally has good freeze tolerance, but typically somewhat more susceptible than those on Trifoliate. Most mandarins will perform well for at least 10 to 15 years but will eventually develop bud union crease and decline.

Flying Dragon is good to excellent to all common scions.  Fruit on Flying Dragon typically have high sugars, acids, and juice content. Mandarins on Flying Dragon generally have the best freeze tolerance of any rootstock.  Fruit also have relatively good freeze tolerance. Most mandarins performs very well for at least 10 to 15 years but eventually develop bud union crease and decline.

The other rootstocks you mention, I don't know much about,

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 05:58:27 PM »
Thanks, Millet for the reply.  I know FD is the usual go to rootstock, but I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with some of the relatively new rootstocks.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
Thanks for the rootstock info Millet I will have to keep that in mind next time I'm looking for a tree.