Author Topic: Madison citrus listing of Kobasu Papeda, is this really Kabosu?  (Read 1319 times)

TabemonJourney

• USA, WA, Kirkland, 8b
    • View Profile
    • http://tabemonojourney.com/
Anyone know if Madison citrus misspelled their kabosu listing and calling it kobasu instead?  Note description says Citrus Excelsa Papeda and not Citrus sphaerocarpa, but citrus excelsa also has it’s own separate listing.

https://madisoncitrusnursery.com/products/kobasu-papeda-tree-for-sale?_pos=1&_psq=kobas&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
Re: Madison citrus listing of Kobasu Papeda, is this really Kabosu?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 01:02:32 PM »
Both are correct spellings, and the listing is correct. Have ordered from them before and received healthy tall grafted trees.

TabemonJourney

• USA, WA, Kirkland, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 01:56:38 PM »
Awesome.  Been looking for kabosu for awhile.  Can’t wait to receive them.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 04:30:45 PM »
Both are correct spellings, and the listing is correct. Have ordered from them before and received healthy tall grafted trees.

Do you have a source of that? I find that a handful of trees Hershell sells are slightly mislabelled, not to the point of misidentification, but spelling errors or other things that are kind of ambiguous. I didn't see any Japanese sources calling it kobasu (こばす / コバス), although some English-speakers (including some reporters!) seem to have gotten it wrong for the doge whose name is also Kabosu. In Japanese, as far as I can tell, it's definitely "カボス", which is "kabosu".

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 07:00:20 PM »
It’s just a misspelling, nothing too crazy. Different variations of name for the same thing.

TabemonJourney

• USA, WA, Kirkland, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 08:12:14 PM »
Just reviewed my order from Madison and the label spells it as Kabosu!

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 10:14:13 AM »
Just reviewed my order from Madison and the label spells it as Kabosu!

On the other hand, they also spell it "popeda".

Perhaps language was not their strong suit?

Tom_GA

• USA, Georgia, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »
Hershell has asked me on several occasions to recommend new types of citrus that he can offer to collectors.  His "bread and butter" is propagating cold-hardy, but commercial, citrus for the burgeoning citrus industry in the Southeast.  But Hershell is a collector at heart.  He does have to grow his increase trees from registered budwood, but luckily UC Riverside carries Kabosu and some other very rare types that I think would be of interest. I have one of the Kabosu that he has propagated, and they look like the real thing - as real as it can get from a non-Japanese source.  Madison Citrus is growing some others from UC Riverside and is in the process of cleaning up and registering some other very rare types to be offered in the future.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2023, 04:25:24 PM »
Hershell has asked me on several occasions to recommend new types of citrus that he can offer to collectors.  His "bread and butter" is propagating cold-hardy, but commercial, citrus for the burgeoning citrus industry in the Southeast.  But Hershell is a collector at heart.  He does have to grow his increase trees from registered budwood, but luckily UC Riverside carries Kabosu and some other very rare types that I think would be of interest. I have one of the Kabosu that he has propagated, and they look like the real thing - as real as it can get from a non-Japanese source.  Madison Citrus is growing some others from UC Riverside and is in the process of cleaning up and registering some other very rare types to be offered in the future.

It would be great to get some of the Australian species -- desert limes, round limes, and any of the fingered limes would be fascinating to work with.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 04:48:47 PM »
I have known Hershell for years.  Madison nursery is turning out to be a real asset for us hobby growers.

gordonh1

• Western Washington, zone 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2023, 11:43:01 AM »
Heads up that Kabosu is back in stock at Madison citrus nursery:
https://madisoncitrusnursery.com/products/kabosu-papeda-tree-for-sale?_pos=1&_psq=kabosu&_ss=e&_v=1.0

I have ordered from them before and always gotten good trees.

It looks like they changed their spelling, too.

EDIT: They sold out in one day. You can get on their notification list for the next batch.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 01:43:26 PM by gordonh1 »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 09:26:41 PM »
Jim VH (a member in this forum) made marmalade out of ripe orange kabosu fruit, which I was able to taste. I think this fruit has a lot of potential for marmalade, since when ripe the rind is semi-edible, or at least not too bitter. However, traditionally in Japan kabosu is picked while still green before it has turned orange (actually a slightly yellowish green color) and is used more like a lime or lemon. Picked orange, it's a little bland and not the most flavorful, but the peel works well in marmalade and is softer than the rind of orange. It does have some pleasant aromatic fragrance, almost half like Yuzu I would say.